MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Uncovered lubed boolits

Boolit Grand Master

Uncovered stored lubed boolits

Found some lubed bullets on a top shelf in an uncovered large tuna fish can. They are dusty.
    Not really dusty, but not clean either. Will the accumulated dust stuck to the lube harm a bore when fired??

SHiloh
    Last edited by Shiloh; 06-17-2018 at 08:54 PM.
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

I have some in the same boat, except here dust is really dirt. When I get around to it and need them I'm planning on boiling off the old lube and relubing them.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I think lance has a good idea about boiling the old lube off . . . .

This probably doesn't pertain to you question, but I'll tell it as a warning anyway. Many years ago, when i was shooting N-SSA, I had a friend who also shot N-SSA who passed away. His wife gave me quite a large wooden box full of vast minie balls. They had been laying around for a number of years (he had been gone for a while) and most had been lubed like we always did with a finger swipe of Crisco in the hollow base. The top of the big cigar box was gone and it was obvious that they had set around for quite a while - dusty, dirty, etc. I decided "what the heck" - I'll just re-melt them, let the lube burn off and then last new ones. I fired up my propane burner and with a large cast iron ladle, gently put them in the pot. I waited to let the first ladle full melt down and was then going to add a second ladle full to the melted lead. All of a sudden "kaboom". Luckily, I had walked away from the pot. I later determined that there was a musket cap that had gotten in to the box and when added to the pot, it went off. Had I been near the pot, I would have probably been burned. I dumped the rest of the cigar box on the bench and then started to look at each minie ball - something I SHOULD have done to begin with. I found two more of the minies that had percussion caps stuck to the old crisco in the bases. I'm guessing that someone, after my friends death, tried to "organize" things and since percussion caps go with minie balls, they just tossed them in the cigar box. Moral of the story . . . . regardless of what kind of boolit you are going to "re-melt" - check them thoroughly first . . . THEN toss them in the pot!

Boolit Grand Master

Technically the dirt/dust will not be good for your bore. In reality, I doubt there is really enough to hurt. I probably would put them in the next pot of melting lead.

Boolit Grand Master

Yep agree with lightman. Depends on what the "dust" consists of; plain old light soil, dead skin cells, GSR, etc., and some may be abrasive to metal, but I like casting so in the pot they would go...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Moderator Emeritus

Maybe that dust will improve the lube?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Or help shine your bore some?
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Grand Master

Certainly can't be as bad as what people do deliberately to change their bores!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    Or help shine your bore some?
    Yeah! Fire lapping...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Yes, the dust and dirt will abrade your bore.
    The solution is very simple.
    Get an old pot (thrift store), toss bullets in, cover with water, add table spoon of laundry detergent,
    boil for 10 minutes, use tweezers/hot-dog-grabbers and pick bullets out of water, leaving heavy grit at the bottom of the pot.
    15 minute job.

relube (or PC), load up, shoot.

Boolit Master

Got a rough spot in your bore? Use those dirty boolits!

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    Got a rough spot in your bore? Use those dirty boolits!
    I was thinking the same thing .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    I think lance has a good idea about boiling the old lube off . . . .

This probably doesn't pertain to you question, but I'll tell it as a warning anyway. Many years ago, when i was shooting N-SSA, I had a friend who also shot N-SSA who passed away. His wife gave me quite a large wooden box full of vast minie balls. They had been laying around for a number of years (he had been gone for a while) and most had been lubed like we always did with a finger swipe of Crisco in the hollow base. The top of the big cigar box was gone and it was obvious that they had set around for quite a while - dusty, dirty, etc. I decided "what the heck" - I'll just re-melt them, let the lube burn off and then last new ones. I fired up my propane burner and with a large cast iron ladle, gently put them in the pot. I waited to let the first ladle full melt down and was then going to add a second ladle full to the melted lead. All of a sudden "kaboom". Luckily, I had walked away from the pot. I later determined that there was a musket cap that had gotten in to the box and when added to the pot, it went off. Had I been near the pot, I would have probably been burned. I dumped the rest of the cigar box on the bench and then started to look at each minie ball - something I SHOULD have done to begin with. I found two more of the minies that had percussion caps stuck to the old crisco in the bases. I'm guessing that someone, after my friends death, tried to "organize" things and since percussion caps go with minie balls, they just tossed them in the cigar box. Moral of the story . . . . regardless of what kind of boolit you are going to "re-melt" - check them thoroughly first . . . THEN toss them in the pot!
    I bought a SAECO furnace and a box full of solder snippets from an old rummy LGS owner who was retiring. Took 'em home, and decided to check out the solder snippets (about 5 lbs worth). Good thing - I found about a half dozen small primers. Think 'Tinsel faerie' if I had dumped the box in the furnace to melt into ingots...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    Technically the dirt/dust will not be good for your bore. In reality, I doubt there is really enough to hurt. I probably would put them in the next pot of melting lead.
    I'm going to tske the top layer off the can and shoot the rest. Looks like about 40-50 back in the pot and shoot the rest.
    Light dust and not dirt.
    Thanks for the advice gentlemen!!

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin