Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Academic Question

Boolit Buddy

Academic Question

So for me this is purely academic but the question has obvious relevance.

If one were to hypothetically fire identical non-expanding bullets at identical velocities from weapons with very different twist rates would one theoretically expect different penetration?

MY thinking is that yes they would potentially penetrate differently with the tighter twist penetrating more. Again this is in a hypothetical scenario. I would expect(based on no data whatsoever!) that the tighter twist would resist veering or turning onto its side more than the other.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Boolit Master
    Yes in my opinion the one spinning at a faster rate would hold path and go further if target material is the same and distance is equally the same.

Boolit Buddy
    IF this is true then it SHOULD also follow that if shooting two bullets with identical nose profiles, same weight, but different lengths in the same gun then the shorter of the two bullets should potentially penetrate farther. Assuming the different length doesn't change the drag through flesh.

Boolit Buddy
    If, very different twist rates means that one bullet becomes unstable and the other not, your theory doesn't hold true.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Pardini View Post
    If, very different twist rates means that one bullet becomes unstable and the other not, your theory doesn't hold true.
    The assumption is that both fly fine in air. Otherwise the thought experiment would have no application.
    If it helps, .357 cal barrels are routinely found from 12-30 twist. Huge range. In that range it would have to be a bullet that is stable in air in the 30 twist. I think but am uncertain that the 30s can handle up to short 180s maybe. I don't own either of those extreme examples unfortunately