Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Perfect cartridge for lightweight rifle

Boolit Master
    I like these, I have one in 308 and 30-06 5.25 lbs for the 308 and 5.5 lbs for the 30-06.
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/775135498

Banned

how do yours shoot. A buddy had one in 06 and sold it because he couldn't get it to shoot.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdicki View Post
    I like these, I have one in 308 and 30-06 5.25 lbs for the 308 and 5.5 lbs for the 30-06.
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/775135498

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    how do yours shoot. A buddy had one in 06 and sold it because he couldn't get it to shoot.
    They both shoot as good as any other Remington 700 I've ever shot. The 308 likes 150 gr Winchester Ballistic silver tips and the 30-06 shoots the cheap Remington 150 gr shells from Walmart. I haven't tried any reloads for them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    *and then the fight was on,,,,,,*

8x57 would be my first choice, but 35 Whelen in a single shot if elk were primary.
    I don’t have one, but I think 35 Whelen is about the perfect elk cartridge. I do have a 35 Krag single shot and that can be loaded to lower 35 Whelen territory.

Boolit Master
    Spend about 3 extra minutes a day lifting some sort of weight to make up for the extra 1/3 of a pound of the long action and build/buy a 280 Ackley. Kimber has several under 6 pounds.
    Last edited by dk17hmr; 06-21-2018 at 08:26 PM.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    The problem with short actions. . .

You decrease bore size in the hope of gaining ballistic coefficient and sectional density with similar weight bullets, but you end up making the bullet longer and running out of space at the front of the magazine. The "short" action length standardized around the .308 was cooked up in the 1950's before the advent of longer, high-BC bullets, and I've noted that modern solid coppers and plastic-nosed options tend to complicate matters of maximizing the use of space.

My own two cents - save the short actions for reasonable-distance deer rifles, keep them in .308, and top them with a Leupold 2.5-8x36mm.

For the issue of elk, you're going to nearly kill yourself hauling out the 600+ pound carcass, so what's another couple pounds of rifle? To cover that and the pronghorn, a stripped and skinny .280 Remington would be an excellent choice - provided you get the throat stretched out and the appropriate twist to take longer/heavier bullets. If you don't have those options, a lighter weight .30-06 is never an error. Leupold 4.5-14x40 for this launch platform.
    Considering the .358 Win is based on the .308 case, I disagree. .358 Win is probably the finest cast bullet round you can chamber for.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Considering the .358 Win is based on the .308 case, I disagree. .358 Win is probably the finest cast bullet round you can chamber for.
    Are you mad? That short neck? Absolutely not.

30-30, 30-40, 35 Krag, 45-70. All far better cast boolit cartridges than that short, fat, balding, objectionable cartridge. In fact, 35 Rem is a better cast boolit cartridge than the 358 Abomination.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RPRNY View Post
    ............... In fact, 35 Rem is a better cast boolit cartridge than the 358 Abomination.
    ouch!
    but then, to each his own.

Boolit Master
    Wow just wow.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    If using FLGCs I vote would be for the 6.5CM, 260Rem or 6.5Sweede. High BCs for your longish distances, great hunting bullet selection for N.Am. game and realisticly manageable recoil in a light rifle.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Grand Master

30-30, 30-40, 35 Krag, 45-70. All far better cast boolit cartridges than that short, fat, balding, objectionable cartridge. In fact, 35 Rem is a better cast boolit cartridge than the 358 Abomination.

I really shouldn’t be drinking coffee while taking five mins at work to look at this thread. Now I’ve got to go clean everything up. I don’t know why but your prose made me chuckle. I have e no experience with the cartridge so can’t pass judgement.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.

Slowly back away from the bong, and quit drinking that water!

The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Now to throw another couple into the fray. Have you considered the WSM and SAUM cartridges?

Oh, the nerve of some people recommending new fangled cartridges.

Boolit Grand Master

Greg,

I do have some 300 WSM brass dad stashed away that I found along with some dies.....

Quote Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
    Now to throw another couple into the fray. Have you considered the WSM and SAUM cartridges?

Oh, the nerve of some people recommending new fangled cartridges.

Some folks have shoulders of concrete, or they just really don't like themselves...
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

It's forgotten but don't forget the .284 Win. Better performance than both 7-08 and .308 in a short action.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    It's forgotten but don't forget the .284 Win. Better performance than both 7-08 and .308 in a short action.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    True, but where ya gonna find one? Particularly as a lightweight? The only factory .284's I can think of were the Winchester 88 and 100, Ruger 77, and (I think) Browning BLR. None of which have been in production for a really long time. I would bet there are more extant rifles chambered in wildcat variants than the original round.

Boolit Grand Master

Model 70 were chambered in 284 and I think some 700s were. I believe the Kimber and cooper rifles have it as a chambering available also. In a hunting gun a variation of this cartridge might be interesting the 6.5 X 284 it was is popular with the long range shooters for awhile.

Boolit Master
    For an all around lightweight rifle while keeping elk on the menu I'd suggest a Tikka T-3 lite in 270 WSM. 130 grainers for deer, 150 grainers for elk, and the action is long enough to seat the 150's out where they belong. Triggers are good and I've yet to find a T-3 that wouldn't keep them inside 1 Moa right out of the box. around 6.5 lb and less than $600. If you have the $$ the Finn lite is the higher end version.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast