Boolit Master
    Yep Redneck Mosler
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    Some of the OLD ones are set up for padlocks
    If hiding the location of the guns is enough, this is better hiding than most. But as long as it is in the kitchen with knives and a can-opener, it isn't a safe. A padlock can't protect it effectively against forcible entry, and just shouts "This is the wine cellar".

I've mostly lived where an inflatable lifevest or a portable heart defibrillator would give a better return in safety than a firearm. The only place I was semiofficially issued with a pistol was during a border emergency in a certain Middle Eastern country. It wasn't the weather for clothing that could conceal it, so I kept it among the frozen peas in my freezer.

Boolit Master
    I like it.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

I have one full of ammo, slings, holsters and such. It's the one covered in political bumper stickers.......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I saw one made from an old Coke/Pepsi machine. The lock was not a give away. Have never been able to lay my hands on one that was in my price range..Free

Boolit Grand Master

We used a dorm sized refrigerator for storing welding rods and some other moisture sensitive materials. Mounted a light socket in it and a 10 watt bulb. always on. This was enough to keep the rods and things dry and useable.

Moderator Emeritus

I am keeping an eye out for a bad newer water heater. Cut the outer jacket so it hinges apart with the hinge in back against the wall(hidden) and the seam in the jacket cut so that is where it opens. Cut the inner part and make a door in the heavy iron liner with bolt locking. Fake pipes into the wall so it looks real... hook up power and use it to power a small light bulb to keep it dry inside. I figure a 60 gallon heater would hold 10 rifles or so...

Boolit Master

I have the military special. They were reconditioning an old Hangar had the lockers outside. They told us to get rid of them. They had a nice one with a big bottom cage door and small top locker. It some how followed me home. I keep mags and important papers locked in the top and riffles and pistols locked in the bottom. It takes 2 people to carry it empty. Its a lot heavier and akward full of ammo and guns. You can see inside it, but your not steeling it or getting into it without power tools. I hope that my neighbor next to my apartment has the decency to call to police if my trucks not here and they hear an angle grinder.

We had something similar to it but shaped differently what we used to store all the guns at work.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    I think it's a fine idea. My powders and primers are stored in a dorm fridge.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Bub
    Made a nice Smoker outta one quite a few years back.....Nice job there!

Boolit Bub
    Broken deep freezer makes a secure ammo can storage place, though the padlock hasp kind of gives it away. Padlocks on every can is just overkill.

Boolit Master
    I remember seeing those modest integral locks with chest freezers, do they still do that? (My small 7cu.ft chest freezer doesn't have one.)

Would be cool to do a quality security retrofit with a system like that, with a better lock mechanism & associated reinforcing - while still keeping the 'incognito' aspect.

In Remembrance

I would be concerned about mildew and moisture in such a closed `safe`. It should have a `golden rod` heater or a light bulb on all the time, dessicant containers would also be a must have item to keep dampness at bay.Robert

Boolit Master

I use a older fridge / freezer for powder and primers in a cellar room that floor is wet when it rains no mold / mildew or condensation problems dry and good all these years (14) before that it was in a detached garage no heat and no problems , best storage for primers and powder and should be good for firearms , as good as some bargain brand gun safes .

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    Would not pass muster here in Australia ,due to our stupid gun laws.

Boolit Buddy
    When the old single door fridges & freezers were common, HVAC was not common in shops, about every shop/garage had one for welding rods and fine tools that would rust.
    Between the insulation, door seals & interior lights they kept the the stuff dry.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying these will pass federal explosives containment standards or even close...
    (I just had this argument with a guy that didn't understand there are no federal restrictions on small home storage of powder/primers, but some local restrictions exist).

I particularly like the big stainless steel semi-commercial units, but any with a lot of upright space will do...

*IF* you store gunpowder in one, I STRONGLY suggest an 'Earth Ground' wire to protect it against static and transient electrical charges/discharges.
    I also wouldn't recommend one in a home if you intend to store powder, primers or loaded ammo in any real volume. Detached garage or yard building, but not an occupied home...
    There is enough things in a home that burn crazy fast, I don't need to be adding any more with my luck!... (Thanks Mr. Murphy!)

What I do is remove motor/compressor, keeping the cord/light wiring. It's usually not too hard to figure out the door switch for the light, and I hang a full time 'On' humidity control device in mine (like a 'Golden Rod').
    I use expanding foam to fill in openings and the occasional notched board installed inside for firearms.

For some measure of fire proofing, I remove the interior panels, motor, etc and use high temp insulation.
    If you want to keep it light weight, the fiber kind of high heat insulation,
    If our don't care about weight, then put what ever interior back in you want, then simply pour refractory cement or plaster in between case walls & interior panels from the rear (laying on it's door side).
    Filling the door is a challenge, so usually I do doors with high temp fiber batting.

You can order magnetic door seals for about any unit made from the 70s forward to make the unit further air tight.

I keep precision instruments in one, and I have a BIG commercial unit (lots of room) I keep metal work jobs in since the metal during machining is not protected. Hose it down with some rust protector, stuff it in the fridge with humidity control, and it's not rusted/corroded when I get back to the job.

I also keep gunpowder/primers in two, in a yard barn, away from the house/shop when I buy powder or primers in bulk. A solar panel runs the humidity control anytime the sun is shinning, and if there isn't anyone fanning the door, once humidity is removed, it stays dry.
    I'm under the federal limit by a good margin, but I still don't like the idea of more than about an 8 pound jug in the house/shop where there *Might* be a fire or accident...
    (You never know what the wife is burning for dinner or what an employee is going to drive the forklift into next! I call it separation of church & state )

I LOVE the idea of a big old soda machine! That never crossed my mind.
    No one thinks twice about a soda machine and there is LOADS of room inside one, industral insulation is already in place, a pretty darn intimidating lock is already there, just a good idea all the way around!
    I've seen them for sale for the same price those cheap sheet metal 'Gun Safes' sell for, which isn't much.
    Something else I'm adding to my wish list...
    Last edited by JeepHammer; 06-30-2018 at 04:07 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I have thought about one most people here in my area keep the freezer in the garage so stick one there with your guns as most crooks are in and out in minutes. I process my own deer and I have a fridge that I keep in the garage that I made a rack for with meat hooks to hang the quarters in for a few days before processing lets air circulate I also have a plastic tray in the bottom to catch the blood drops works better than just putting them on the wire racks.

Deaconllb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast