WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: 32-20 brass V Nickel cases ?

32-20 brass V Nickel cases ?

Hi guy's ,,,
    Yesterday I was looking at my old 32-20 1894 marlin and thought I need to give it a day out because it's been a while.
    I looked at my loaded cases and it hit me I need some new ones , so my question is should I get some more brass cases or pay the xtra couple of bucks and get the nickel plated cases ?.
    All I use is Starline but my stock is getting weary and old so I know it's time to re-up on brass.
    What is your take on the nickel cases, any better than brass ?.
    Keep breathing , it's good for ya...

No, stylish looking but won't hold up as well as yellow brass. Any linear scratches in nickel will
    be a starting point for cracking. Nickel was so there was less reaction with leather shell loops.

Boolit Master
    It sure is prettier.... I have some, mostly for my 30-06 A.I., and find some for the 9 mm, but in my confused opinion it doesn't last quite as long as plain brass. I know it doesn't in pistol and revolver ammunition. At least that's been my experience.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    I have a 32/20, but only brass cases. However, I've been reloading nickel plated 22 hornet cases for years (bought 1000 R-P). They reload fine. Your choice on spending extra. I might just buy some myself.

Boolit Master

I have not seen any nickel plated 32-20 brass for quite some time. Does anyone have them in stock these days?
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master
    Midway has Starline. $26.99 per 100.

Quote Originally Posted by marlin39a View Post
    Midway has Starline. $26.99 per 100.
    Yes that's where i'm looking , brass cases are $ 23 something.

Well I went ahead and ordered some of the nickel plated, just to see.
    While I was there I got me some more 30-40 and some Kroil ,,,, sheesh ! always happens you go for one item , and end up buying the buying the whole freaking store...lol....
    OH WELL .

I don't know just what to think about nickel plated brass. I've had some new Win. 38spl cases split on the third firing. These were bought as primed cases. I also have some 357 cases that have been reloaded so many times that the brass is showing through. I know for sure that they have been loaded over a dozen times, a few lots more when the primer pockets started to loosen. These were Win. from factory loaded rounds. Like all other components I'm thinking some lots are just better made than others. I might get a hundred for my Colt revolver. They do look pretty in the belt loops. Gp

Boolit Grand Master

My experience is that they’re pretty but the finish can scratch if the sizing die is dirty. Also the mouths crack sooner than brass. I like them otherwise.

I just have to give them a go you never know I may prefer them over brass , the cracking deal is a worry for me as my chamber is a tad big I cast a .315" and need to be able to expand them correctly enough to seat the boolits without shaving any lead,,,, we will see.

You said you're loading for a Marlin. Some Marlins were chambered for .32-21, not .32-20. If you suffer from short case life, try reading some of Paco Kelly's advice on this.
    Long story short. Fire-form with a light load to fit your chamber, then neck size afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by dbmjr1 View Post
    You said you're loading for a Marlin. Some Marlins were chambered for .32-21, not .32-20. If you suffer from short case life, try reading some of Paco Kelly's advice on this.
    Long story short. Fire-form with a light load to fit your chamber, then neck size afterwards.
    I haven't really had a problem with case life , The Starline brass I have had in he past has always been " short " as in length but as to how many loads I get out of a batch I've been lucky , no complaints there.
    I treat my old rifle as a " Paco level 1 " rifle and do as you mention .
    My chamber is, lets say very forgiving so I load accordingly , but this is my first time using Nickel cases as apposed to my years loading only brass .
    Thanks dbmjr1 we'll see if the shiney silvery looking cases hold up as good as brass has.

I got 100 Starline nickel cases and as they crack I am using them to make 310 cadet cases. They do split at the mouth.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

I've found brass cases, in this and other calibers, longer lasting than nickle, and easier to trim when necessary. YMMV, Rod