Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Wideners

Thread: New Dan Wesson revolvers?

Boolit Master

New Dan Wesson revolvers?

Anyone had a chance to handle one since CZ took them over?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    7br aka Mark B.

On the internet, I am 6ft tall, good looking and can dance.

While I haven't fired one, the Dan Wesson revolvers built by CZ are very well made.

Very curious to hear feedback as well. The new ones from CZ have a steep buy in. That being said, quality costs.

Boolit Bub
    I was not aware of CZ releasing them - I thought Dan Wesson was gone forever. Prices sure went up recently.

Boolit Buddy

I have an original Monson Dan Wesson in 44 mag. Although its a fine revolver, I can't justify paying that much for one. There are other alternatives out there given their price point.
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Boolit Grand Master

A friend has a SS one. Finish isn't as nice as my blued Monson's but machining is better.

Boolit Master
    Mtecs, how does it shoot?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    7br aka Mark B.

Boolit Grand Master

On the new SS one that my friend has I can't real comment. He has only shot it on a limited basis and he has never real rung it out for accuracy.

Moderator Emeritus

I have had a DW Pistol Pack in .22 caliber, and while it is indeed pretty to look at, it has an inherent design flaw. To wit, the side plate is quite prone to cracking, and -- once cracked -- just about impossible to either find a replacement, or -- if so lucky -- as each must be custom fitted -- find a competent crafts person to do it. Unless there has been a design change, I'd be most hesitant to purchase one -- 'specially in this caliber. Just my thoughts... I tried to upload a photo of my sideplate, but it repeatedly failed -- perhaps I can PM or email one to you if you have interest.
    georgerkahnClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DW 22 sdplte c.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	222754Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DW22SPA.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	222755

[27 June edit: I finally found "why" I couldn't upload photos, as they were too large in pixel size. I shrunk them -- hoping not too much -- and they uploaded. geo]
    Last edited by georgerkahn; 06-27-2018 at 07:48 AM.

Boolit Master
    I respect George's experiences, but I have not had the same with my older Dan Wessons. I picked up a like new 715 from gunbroker and have had two sessions with it so far. The first was a 25 yard indoor range last Thursday. I mounted a 4x leupold on it and was shooting off of the bench. I was bent at the waist with no real support for my elbows and managed a 2.4" and a 1.4" group measured to the outsides of the holes. Today, I was able to get to my nephew's place and shoot at 115 yards. Somehow, I did not get the targets back in the car for measuring, but the groups were averaging about 5". The trigger is about 4lbs with little creep or overtravel. I don't shoot double action, so I won't give my impressions on that. Finish on the side plate could have been a little better, otherwise, fit and finish were pretty darned good. The load was the RCBS 38-162 SWC with gaschecks and a midrange load of 2400.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DW_passengerside.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	225093Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DW_driverside.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	225094Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dw_target.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	225095
    7br aka Mark B.

Looks like a great shooter to me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Wish they would make one in .327 magnum.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I'd like to get my hands on a late 80's early 90's 357 mag. My buddy bought a pair for a $145 each and recently passed. The pistols mysterious disappeared. I could shoot anything with the one he let me try in the early 90's. I could hit shotgun shells with it one after the other at 25 yards the first time I shot it. It was the first big bore pistol I ever shot. It looked like a mini Dirty Harry pistol. I believe it had about a 5.5" barrel and blued of course. It's on my bucket list to get one now that he passed.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I'd like to get my hands on a late 80's early 90's 357 mag. My buddy bought a pair for a $145 each and recently passed. The pistols mysterious disappeared. I could shoot anything with the one he let me try in the early 90's. I could hit shotgun shells with it one after the other at 25 yards the first time I shot it. It was the first big bore pistol I ever shot. It looked like a mini Dirty Harry pistol. I believe it had about a 5.5" barrel and blued of course. It's on my bucket list to get one now that he passed.
    When you find one, don't jump too quickly, they made some real stinkers. One of the worst I saw was a 357. Just check it out VERY carefully.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    When you find one, don't jump too quickly, they made some real stinkers. One of the worst I saw was a 357. Just check it out VERY carefully.

As long as you get a Monson made gun, you should be OK.

Boolit Master

I have a Monson (I believe) 732VB, the stainless one in 32 H&R with the ventilated rib on the barrel. I measured all six chamber throats with a Starrett 82 dial bore gauge and all came in at 0.3143". Astounded and pleased, I was.

I'm an 'improver' at heart. Have been ruminating on taking it out to 327. I also have a couple of cutoff Enfield 303 barrels with 0.314" groove diameters to make DW liners with a fast twist for 140 grain bullets. Cosmetically, I have a line on a blue hammer and trigger set that I'd like to make more graceful, as were the old S&W N frame parts, then have plated. Frankly, much of the fun is just in the thinking and planning. Bloomin' gun shoots fine as is.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by high standard 40 View Post
    As long as you get a Monson made gun, you should be OK.
    That seems to be the consensus, however I am pretty sure my brothers 44 is a Monson, and it is definitely not OK