Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st pound cast. Need mold recommendations.

Boolit Buddy

1st pound cast. Need mold recommendations.

Hello all I just did my first pound cast on my ruger #3 in 45-70 and I am wondering what molds would work well based on the results, I'm unsure how the measurements apply to mold selection.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20180616-103622_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	222199

Boolit Master
    I have several molds for 45/70 from Saeco,RCBS and NOE from 300 t0 525 gr. In your Ruger No 3 300 to 400gr will be the most comfortable with trapdoor loads. Size bullets .458,.459 powders to use 3031,RL 7,4227,5744 and for laughs black powder or it's substitutes. As far as the alloy to use wheelweights,1pt sn to 20 pts pb or anything up to Lyman no 2.

Boolit Buddy

400gr+/- would be my preference. I have only used cheap molds in the past and I plan to order one from Tom at accurate molds. Just want to get one that "fits the gun well." The first try.

Boolit Master
    I'd try the lighter bullets first the No 3 isn't all that heavy and the steel butt plate will beat you into submission in short order. Order some cast bullets from Missouri Bullet Co in different weights to figure out which bullet weight works the best without dislocating your shoulder. I've had several No 1s and they weigh a good 2 lbs heavier and with borderline 458 mag loadsthey were a handful.
    Last edited by DocSavage; 06-16-2018 at 06:34 PM.

Boolit Buddy

I've used the lee 405 plain base and like it loaded with trail boss its a great pinker and with a stout load of 3031 it will make any "cool guy" shut his mouth. I was getting bad leading with that boolit I believe it was due to poor fit as it dropped at .457"
    I'm mostly looking for designs that may perform better as far as accuracy and fit well to prevent leading.

I have had good luck with an Accurate mold. 46-405-V
    I size them to .460 and shoot them in a Marlin 1895.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1847 (Edited).jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	222247
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Moderator Emeritus

I don't have an answer to your questions, but I'm gonna guess that those details aren't as crucial when loading for 45-70 at "less than High Velocity". Now, if you are looking for great accuracy at long distances with Max loads, then I suspect you will need to know more details than those dimensions that are shown in the image. Here are a couple of older threads that may provide some of that type of insight.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...roove-diameter

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...765-Throat-fit

-----------------------------
    But, your could just consult with Tom, as you spec'd him as your custom maker, He'll probably have your best answers...and more questions for you to answer. I believe email is the best way to contact him.

----------------------------
    Since others are offering what they use... I cast the NOE 460-405 FN for my Ruger #3, I size to .459
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy

Does that wide meplat bullet do well at longish distance say 200 yards?

I use this: http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=46-400M-D.png and size it to .459 out of my original Winchester 1886 that slugs at .458. I have no issues what so ever. I also use a PB gas check made out of soda/beer cans with dies from Pat Marlin: https://www.patmarlins.com/product/45pbr-rifle-cal/. Hope this helps.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    SNIP...

I cast the NOE 460-405 FN for my Ruger #3, I size to .459
    Quote Originally Posted by Flailguy View Post
    Does that wide meplat bullet do well at longish distance say 200 yards?
    I haven't shot it beyond 100 yds
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Boolit Buddy

So I ordered a .459" sizing due and I am gonna size a bullet and insert it backwards into the case an see how far out it will chamber. Thank you all for the replies.
    I may try a slightly modified version of the 46-405v

Moderator Emeritus

that may very well work, but I set COAL by trial and error, making dummy rounds, starting about as long as possible, then attempt to chamber the dummy, if it's no-go, which is usually the case, I keep trying shorter lengths, until I find the length that chambers, but the rifling still makes witness marks on the boolit's nose.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Buddy

Do you adjust case length to accommodate crimp groove or just not worry about the crimp groove?

Moderator Emeritus

I don't worry about the crimp groove. Mostly I don't crimp, I will use the crimp die to remove the flair.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Buddy

I spoke with Tom and decided on the .46-345A mold. Does anyone have this mold ?
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=46-345A-D.png

Boolit Buddy

Got the mold! Seated to the crimp groove slight finger pressure chambers the round.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180630_091056.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	222922

Boolit Buddy
    I use the lee 420 gr El Cheapo mold. Bullets are shot as cast over 15 grs. of Unique with
    a wad of toilet paper on the powder. I don't size just lube and load. I use the old Lee
    hand loader to load the 45/70 cases. This load in my #3 will take the ten ring out
    at 100 yds. 15 grs of Unique or 3031 will both shoot to poa at 100 yds. Shoot the
    #3 Ruger with as large a dia. as will chamber. Try it you'll like it.

Boolit Buddy

The mold drops a little over .462"i will try one as cast but I doubt it will chamber.
    I had a lee 405gr but it dropped too small. I tried leementing it but I screwed it up.
    I have 50 loaded with 12.5gr of unique to try. I may go higher. Does the toilet paper make much of a difference for you?

Boolit Buddy
    I only use the toilet paper as a filling to hold the powder down on the primer. The toilet paper
    just blows apart when fired. I figured that 15 grs of Unique would just spread out over the
    length of the case and could cause SEE condition and pressure spike. Others here might have
    more information. I never tried the Unique or 3031 load without a filler.
    webfoot10

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast