Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Duplicating a cartridge no one cares about 7.62x38R Nagant

Boolit Master
    I finally found a spare Nagant mainspring in freakin' Poland! Ain't the Internet wonderful? What I paid for it should level out Trumps balance of payments to the great Polish nation.

I'm going to try thinning the bottom leg of the spring to reduce the S/A trigger pull. I tried the leather in the crook of the Vee trick and it actually worked a bit...

I'll dremel the bottom leg thinning it down, making sure to cool it, dremel it and cool it...being careful not to cook it, letting it cool and not let it loose its spring temper.

I'll take one shot at modifying the golden Polish spring. If I ruin it, I'm not buying another.

I should prob move this to another area...at some point if we start talking about it.
    [

That's dedication! Hope it works.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jniedbalski View Post
    I forgot to add any body looking for parts for there Nagant revolver check out jack first gun shop. They make a bunch of parts nobody eals has. Just do a search for them. Also foichi brass I had newer and older made brass. Some of the newer brass a number lee 19 shell holder fits the brass. It has a grove above the rim. The older brass didint have this so the lee # 19 would not fit. I put my brass in a drill and spun a hack saw blade right above the rim to create a small shallow grove. This kept me from having the same brand of brass and using two different shell holders
    I picked up a handful of the brass without the groove and was stymied for a shell Holder. Not willing to spend $50 on a custom one.
    Thanks for posting this work around!

I've been loading mine neck sizing with a 32 S&W die and seating with the Lee Nagant seater. I keep hearing it won't seat deep enough but have never had any trouble.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vagrantviking View Post
    I picked up a handful of the brass without the groove and was stymied for a shell Holder. Not willing to spend $50 on a custom one.
    Thanks for posting this work around!

I've been loading mine neck sizing with a 32 S&W die and seating with the Lee Nagant seater. I keep hearing it won't seat deep enough but have never had any trouble.
    So the base is swaged down enough to let the rim stick out enough to hold the cartridge? It's got to squeeze it a bunch, going from .377 to .352. The rim on the 5.56 is .378. While the rim on the 7.62x38R is .388. That should be more than close enough to work.

How much effort does it take to squeeze the 5.56 down that much?

I still wish someone would make a modern gas seal revolver...The Nagant is such a brilliant design yet totally archaic.
    [

Why bother making cases when you can buy good ones made by Privi Partizan from Graf's for very little money?

It's called OCD; I own mine.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Quote Originally Posted by WRideout View Post
    Maybe you could tell us how you formed those cases? (Or you could put it in the case forming area on the forum.) I wasn't having any luck with that, and found that the rims are too small diameter to hold the cases in place.

Wayne
    I resized using a 30 carbine die. With alot of lube and considerable effort you swage the case down until it looks like a miniature belted magnum. Then turn off the belt and reduce case dia to the correct dia.

There several more steps but that is the biggie, reducing diameter which gives you the rim.

I found this during a web search for reforming 7.62x38r cases. Not sure where it was at 4-5 years later.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12