Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Electronic Earmuff

Vendor Sponsor

Howard Leight's great for outdoor pistol.
    Cups are a little big for rifle shooting . cups hit stock interfere with good sight picture.
    Peltor 6 or 7 much better for rifle but much more expensive

Right now i have caldwell (fairly useless. Buggy electronics, static at times)
    Howard Leight, Peltor 6 and 7. The 7's get used more than any others because i shoot mostly rifles.
    Last edited by Smoke4320; 06-17-2018 at 08:37 AM.
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

So far my 1st set, Walker, works well. I do double up with foam on "loud" days .

Boolit Grand Master

I have used various electronic muffs for a few years now with good results. I like several aspects of them over standards or plugs.1) I can hear range commands and whats going on on the range. 2) I can hear myself and coach spotter much better 3) in some situations they improve my hearing allowing me to spot things going on.

I have lowered hearing in both ears due to gunfire and 30 years working in press rooms and tool rooms so the improvement they offer is a plus. A friend informed me I had an air leak in the line in my shop. I couldn't hear it "Naked" but the electronics muffs turned up allowed me to hear it and locate it with out checking every joint.
    Squirrel hunting they also allow me to hear more and better.

I prefer softer ear pads and smaller cups as Im primarily a rifle shooter and those older big cups never allowed me a good cheek weld on the stock or proper head position especially with the iron sights on the service rifles.

You get what you pay for in these. the cheaper ones may have some static and or squeals at times, but to work. The more expensive ones do a better job of filtering out background noises like wind. Some of the early ones I used were distracting on a windy day. My current ones are a set of peltors and they do very good at letting conversation thru but also filter out most back ground and gunfire.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've gone through several brands. Right now I've got Peltor's. Like 'em. Looking for another set. These Howard Leight's look good. Keeps my ears warm when hunting, too.

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Howard Leight by Honeywell Impact Sport Sound Amplification Electronic Shooting Earmuff, Teal (R-02521)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master
    Howard Leight.
    I like them outside shooting pistol. I can't shoot rifle or shotgun with them, too bulky.
    The worst pain/ringing in the ears I have ever had was shooting inside and the leakage around my glasses. The only time I'll use them inside now is with foam earplugs.

Boolit Master

Howard Leight for me as well. I shoot handguns and rifles with them but they aren't friendly to the AR-15 stock for sure. I'm sure the kinds of stocks I use have something to do with why they work for me. They're great for hunting, too. My buddy and I both wear them and we can whisper back and forth but hear each other like we're talking in a normal voice. The deer and pigs have never acted like they heard us.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

I bought 3 sets of cheap Caldwell electronic muffs for "loaners" and keep them in the truck for when we take new shooters to the range. I bought a set of Walker muffs on special and use those for myself ... like them a LOT better than the cheap Caldwell versions.
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master
    I have an older pair or Peltor 6s and like them, fairly slim. I also bought a pair of Caldwellls when they were on sale for cheap, don't care much for them they are bulky.
    Looking at the Howard lights I may try a pair of them.

I often use my electronic muffs when hunting as they help with my "marked" hearing loss and keep my ears warm.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Grand Master
    Ordered a Howard Leight from Amazon.
    On sale with free shipping.
    Hope it's as good as everyone says.

Boolit Master
    Bought 3 sets at Harbor Frt for $9.00 per set been working good for 3 years, Corgy dog chewed wires on 1 set, dang those wires are small, finally got stripped and soldered back to working order they work very well.

Boolit Master
    I have the Howard leight impact.
    They work ok for shooting, I normally muff and stuff(foam ear plugs underneath the ear muffs) since they don’t have the highest noise reduction.
    For mowing the grass all they do is amplify the sound of the mower, also means the audio input jack is useless for the times I would use it.
    I just use regular ear muffs for tasks other than shooting.
    For the price they are not bad, but I would like something better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    On the breaks of the Ohio River South Central Indiana
    Peltor T6 they are thin at the bottom to aid in mounting rifle or shotgun. Caldwell's that are rather bulky but the sound sensing circuit is a little faster than the Peltors I also have some in the ear types that work well and are about 12-15 dollar range from wally world, I also use the regular finned in the ear with the muffs.
    "NUTS" A. Clement McAullife

Boolit Bub
    I do like the Howard Leights myself. But, anyone in this thread use the small ones that insert in the ear? I know they can be pricey....but in the Memphis heat, using the Howard Leights get pretty hot during long range visits. Outdoor range that is. But they do work very well.

Boolit Master

No more Walkers for me, wasted well over a hundred dollars on them and the volume will not turn up near high enough.The volume must be turned to full blast just to get normal hearing level and if soft ear plugs are used the volume will not turn up high enough to hear over them. It's not just me, my wife who has perfect hearing also has them set full volume as does my son when he tried them. The Howard Leights he has are WAAAAAY better and when I tried them I could use soft plugs in addition and still turn up the volume enough to hear normal conversation. When I complained and returned those things for repair they sent them back and said they were working normally, I tried another set of the same ones and they do indeed do exactly the same thing! Even full blast they are not loud enough even for folks with normal hearing and for me they may as well be non-electronic muffs.

The Howard Leights like my son has are going to be my next purchase, they work!
    Last edited by oldred; 06-29-2018 at 10:43 AM.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Buddy
    I like my cadwell , they work good

Boolit Grand Master
    It came in today.
    Thank you Amazon.
    I'll try them this Sunday.

Boolit Buddy
    Having used Peltor, Caldweld and Howard Leights, I tend to favor the latter. Muff size is a factor in usage and noise reduction. I would suggest using an ear plug on the side that meets the stock of you rifle. The first time the muffs shifts or 'opens' up will convince you of the need for additional hearing protection. Indoors and outdoor usage is also a factor. I like the electronics because they can be used to 'enhance' your normal hearing range (think game sounds or intruder). The peltors were awesome in this respect. The non electronics may have a higher decibel rating but they also muffle the 'normal' sounds.
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Grand Master
    I always have plugs in along with the muffs.

Boolit Buddy
    I got a pair of these this year and hate them. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 No way are these 25nrr. should have stayed with the MSA Sordins like my last pair. Bought the other ones based on NRR rating, big mistake.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast