Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Electronic Earmuff

Boolit Grand Master

Electronic Earmuff

I'm thinking about getting one.
    Looking for one with large soft ear cushions.
    AAA or AA batteries.
    Not to expensive.
    Suggestions on what to buy????
    Last edited by abunaitoo; 06-16-2018 at 02:13 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

After using electronic earmuffs for a while. I’ll never go back to a regular type. I currently use a Peltor Tactical series (500 I think) and LOVE them. If it’s somethinf that is loud I can still double up with plugs and crank the volume up and still hear range commands, conversation, etc.

Boolit Master

I've been using Peltor Rangegards for sporting clays and am very happy with them. They only attenuate I think 23 DB so they might be a bit light for magnum pistols. They were $39. delivered from Amazon.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    Some of my buddies like the Howard Leigh impact sport muffs, but I read a report that they don't work all that well indoors, only outdoors. HL does make another model that works well indoors, but they are bulkier. Both run from $44-$50 on Amazon.

I'm cheap and bought a bunch of the Caldwells when they were 16.00, 80% of em are still doing good. The other 20% got exposed to quite a bit of concrete dust on one of my jobs. I learned they don't last in that environment.

I got Howard Leight Impact Pro and they are really good for handgun shooting. For rifle, they are too bulky and get in the way when using a scope. The next ones will be less bulky, but for under $50 they were still a good buy as I mostly shoot handgun anyhow.
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    NRA Certified Instructor Shotshell Reloading
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

Banned

+ whatever on the Howard Leight Impact
    I paid around $40
    Agree, good for handguns
    Use the Hickok45 style plugs for rifles
    Last edited by jmort; 06-16-2018 at 04:14 PM.

Boolit Master
    My current lab chewed my last set up before I got to use them. Be careful where you leave them. Recently found out that I am deaf as a post so foam plugs have worked for me. Take out the hearing aids and put in foam plugs. The electronic ear muffs are nice and help me hear while shooting. My have to learn to use them while hunting.

Super Moderator

Another thumbs up for the Howard Leight Impact muffs for handgun shooting. For rifle, I use the Peltor Tactical 6. Both have served me well.

Boolit Master
    Peltor/3m tactical models pricey under $200 but work wellindoor or out and use 2AA batteries and have an auto shut off.

Boolit Master
    +1 as well on the Howard Leight and Peltor Tactical 6. Both work well, the Howard's have an input jack for some tunes when shooting alone. The Peltor's earcups work separately an i have had cases where one side died and and the other still worked. I swapped the headband on one of my Peltor's for the around the neck type from a cheaper Peltor set.

Boolit Master

I have both, the Howard Leight and Peltors, they are both good, I prefer the Howard Leight's for hunting, their microphone picks up better and do good for one rifle report. But for a range, especially one with overhead cover, the Peltors do better, they react to better to lower level sounds (like snapping of fingers), and 'reset' faster for the next sound like the echo off the roof. If I had to have one only I'd pick the Howard Leights, and wear foam plugs underneath them at the range.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    Peltor behind the neck. I usually wear a hat. 4 AAA batteries, 2 each side. Separate on/off vol. So I can balance my hearing. (More Deaf left ear.) Do not leave them in your car, the ear pads warp and will never fit back in the muff body.
    Last edited by jdfoxinc; 06-16-2018 at 08:52 PM. Reason: #/=/^%&<auto auto correct
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master

kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    I use the Howard Leight and they seem to work well indoor or outdoor. I usually double up with plugs as well because there is a loss of seal around my eyeglass ear stems. I think they operate with a 9V battery. Price is right at $50. I can work around the bulkiness for bench work with a rifle, but for shotgun work I would try to find something less bulky.

I've been using Peltor muffs. One pair belonged to work. They were an earlier model. They worked well but were almost too bulky for rifle shooting. Bought myself my own pair of their current model, Sport Tactical 100 muffs. They were under 50 bucks on eBay. They work great, fit my head comfortably, work well indoors and out, and whether shooting rifle or pistol. Highly recommended as they are a great value. Some of the pricey models are hyped up models that have features you likely won't need. Seriously, I don't need the ability to plug my muffs into an armored car's comm system...

Boolit Buddy

I like the walker quad muffs. Prices have come down but not sure of cost.

Boolit Grand Master
    I use regular muffs, with rubber ear plugs.
    I've found that I talk to loud with them on.
    I never noticed.
    Others did.
    I'm guessing it's because I can't hear myself.
    Think/hoping electronic muffs will help.
    Peltor's are nice, but a little more than what I want to spend.
    The Howard Leight on Amazon looks good, and it's on sale now.

Boolit Master
    I have both the Peltor T-6 and T-7.............there is a world of difference between the two. The T-7's were my first pair and considerably more expensive. Both are over twenty years old. The 6's use four penlight's, the 7's use one 9 volt. Separate controls on the 6's,versus single on the seven. Sixes are thinner, less obtrusive.

The right side of the 6's has given up the ghost.......didn't die, just started squealing. Still usable, just removed the batteries from that side. Would I buy them again? Not a chance. Significantly, lower quality than the sevens, compared side by side.

Winelover

In Remembrance

Howard Leight = great.
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast