RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataWideners
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: 40 cal. bullets in the 410 shotgun

40 cal. bullets in the 410 shotgun

My Rossi 410 fixed modified smooth bore has a constriction that measures .402-.403 and the moulds I have on hand are 180-200gr. so slightly under 1/2 oz. All I could find in the archives mention the need for weight forward or the use of an affixed tail wad. Thoughts? Thanks Gp

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    In my cylinder bore .410 I got better accuracy with round ball than with bullets.

Mine used to be a full choke before I blew the muzzle off shooting .44-40 in it.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

^^^^ LOL Could happen to me also. Looking at RB moulds and thinking maybe a .395 might work if I powder coated them to bring the size up a bit. Thanks for the reply. Gp

Boolit Master
    If you are going to use ball, look at the LGS410 carrier. Gulandi ball carrier for .380 dia. ball. BPI lists it under slug components.

Hornady Critical Defense .410 uses a .401 poly tipped bullet followed by a ball.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Worthwhile to try a smaller ball inside a .410 shot cup, using that like sabot and just trimming the protruding wad fingers off flush with the case mouth after seating/crimp. About 5-6 grains of Bullseye works fine with some fine shot loaded under the ball for a "bird & bunny" load.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

gp,

Some (not me) have reported accuracy shooting cast pistol boolits loaded base forward from a 410. IIRC, the bullets were 9mm inserted backwards into a 410 shotcup.

I would just go with soft lead round balls but not just one. Cut the petals off a wad and use just the gas seal. Nice little load of buckshot light.

BB

Thanks BB You all have given me a few ideas. With the bore and the wads I'm going to be working with .403-.404 bore and wad petals of .0305 So .061 for the wad leaves me with .363 for a fit in the fixed modified Powder coating 9mm or .357 bullets should put me close but I'm leaning towards the buck and shot load posted above. Thanks Guys. Gp