RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My first Taurus...

Quote Originally Posted by marek313 View Post
    I think for the price its an ok buy but its not on the same level as the rest of the major manufacturers.

Finish is not the same as my Sig /Glock/Ruger/Smith etc..
    So are you comparing those other major manufacturers guns of the same price point or are you just comparing say a $300.00 gun to a $600.00 gun and expecting the same quality?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    My brother bought a used PT92 in 1988. One day we shot 500 rounds of 1950's Egyptian ball ammo through it for the heck of it. That ammo and pistol went 100% - at several points we had to let the gun cool because it was too hot to touch.
    Older members might remember that ammo- hot loaded & corrosive primed.
    I've shot dozens of Tauri with only one bad gun- a Slim 9mm that wouldn't even work with fmj. My friend bought it new and sent it back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    That stuff was very, very hot and designed for sub-guns I think. +P or +P+ I think
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    That stuff was very, very hot and designed for sub-guns I think. +P or +P+ I think
    As I remember, there was a recall in the early 90's for the 92 series, barrels didn't always stay in one piece. That sub gun ammo and one of those could be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    As I remember, there was a recall in the early 90's for the 92 series, barrels didn't always stay in one piece. That sub gun ammo and one of those could be interesting.
    I currently own 3 Taurus PT92 pistols in 9mm. They all run flawlessly.
    The only thing I dislike about them is the depth of the rifling in the barrel. It is a bit too shallow to grip cast boolits well so accuracy with cast is an iffy proposition.
    My solution was to get some cheap Beretta M9 barrels off eBay. They are a drop in replacement. No fitting necessary.
    The rifling on those is more than adequate for cast. The chambers are also a little on the generous side so they will feed anything you can get into the magazines.
    All three of these will shoot 10 ring with most in the X ring on a B27 silhouette target at 15 yards quite easily.
    I never heard of that recall on barrels. They did a recall on the locking lug I believe. It didn't have the proper heat treat and would crack off one lug after a time. Even the Beretta 92 had that issue but it took more rounds. It doesn't hurt the gun when it happens. You just need to remove it and replace it. Not a big problem as you can do that while the gun is field stripped for cleaning.

Boolit Buddy
    Taurus ??? Get a Dillon !!! < wink>

Boolit Bub
    I don't know which direction this thread is going - but I have the PT92 and the Taurus 1911. Both are awesome guns and work very very well. Taurus had it's reputation back in the day - but lifetime warranty is a great thing to have.....and priced right always. I will buy a used Taurus any day.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My boss carries a Millenium G2 9mm. It seems to be a good choice for her, she isn't really a gun person and probably doesn't put more than one or two boxes of shells through it in a year. Biggest problem I see is that Taurus refuses to sell most parts and insists the gun come back for every little thing that may be required. I shoot my guns alot, and I'm not going to that kind of trouble for a $5.00 part that I can replace myself.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Picked up the G2C today from my FFL in the middle of rainstorm so haven't taken it to the range. Going camping this weekend so will hopefully put some rounds through it.

Can't really do a proper review of it without shooting the dang thing, but after having fondled it and taken it apart, I am very pleased so far.

Fit and finish is excellent. None of the rough machining marks I see on Rugers and the polymer is as good as it gets. Ergonomics are awesome! Fit's my hand like a glove and points very naturally. The texture panels are similar to the new M&Ps and feels like skateboard tape. Very grippy. The slide to frame gap is smaller and more precise than on my Shield and on par with my XDS.

Trigger is awful. Heavy and long with horrible reset. But I knew that; it is really the only complaint about these guns. If the trigger was a bit better, than this would be an amazing deal. It may still be. If it functions 100% and gives me decent accuracy, then it is a very good deal.

I field stripped it and cleaned and lubed it in order to get a closer look at the internals. Very, very similar to a Glock or M&P in design. Trigger bar and other assorted internals appear just a bit cheaper than in my Glocks. Hard to really quantify, but I can tell a slight difference. Tab that actuates the striker plunger seems like it's begging to snap; not really confidence inspiring. Safety clicks on and off with just the right amount of effort and is perfectly placed.

Sights are of the three dot variety and are plastic. Nice and snag free and fully adjustable, but the rear dovetail is a very non-standard size and I doubt anyone will be rushing to make aftermarket sights for these.

The barrel feed ramp is the most highly polished and blended one I've seen from the factory; I doubt this thing will have feeding issues!

Slide finish is even and attractive but seems a bit weak; time will tell.

Overall the size is smaller than I expected. For holding 12 rounds of 9mm compared to 6 rounds of .40 S&W in my XDS, it is incredibly compact. It is the same overall size as my XDS with just a bit wider slide and half inch longer grip.

So far I am really pleasantly surprised by the overall quality. It is definitely no Glock or M&P, but it is also leaps and bounds ahead of other sub-$200 pistols.

Attachment 222482

Attachment 222483

Attachment 222484

Attachment 222485
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Nice review, thanks!

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    i own tauras 44spec revolver a pt 58 380 acp ( old model no decocker) and a rossi 38 snub nose. love them all. they may not have the spit and pollish of sw but they are finished very well and have always functioned flawlessly. as for being cheap guns as far as new ones to a person on social security there ain't no such thing. i own some so called expensive guns that were bought when i was working. didn't know what a great value some of these guns were . i aslo love charter arms.

I bought a Taurus TCP in .380 Auto from a local gun show a few months ago, on impulse. I had never owned a striker-fired DAO pistol before, so there was a little bit of a learning curve. Trigger pull is long and mushy. It will never work for bullseye competition, but I am always surprised at the accuracy I can get at reasonable ranges (7-25 yards). I am having trouble working up a reliable cast boolit load, but I attribute that to the heavy-for-caliber boolits I have on hand, Lee 105 gr.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Try the Lee 356-102-2R in your .380. I never met a pistol that wouldn't function with it 100% and make small groups, from an LCP to Glock 42. I size 'em to .357 and load to .962 OAL over 3.1 grains Bullseye.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wrench man View Post
    I have yet to see a fully functioning firearm made of steel that says "TAURUS" (or "ROSSI") on it, yet they can make one from injection molded plastic??, I'll stick with Ruger's and Uberti's.
    meh, I have a taurus tracker in 357 and a rossi 92 in the same, both work fine for my needs.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Buddy
    It's the same gun as the 111G2. I had one, I just "sold" it to my brother. I had around 3,000 rounds through it. It never had a single malfunction that wasn't my fault, be it a funky new grip I was trying out or some ammo that was loaded too light to cycle the action. It basically ate everything I fed it. The trigger is kinda long, and at first is kinda gritty. Mine smoothed out considerably over time. It has been said that Sig P226 mags work in them but I never tried.

Boolit Buddy
    Lakeline LLC makes aftermarket parts for these guns.

Boolit Master

Finally took my G2c to the range and got a very mixed bag of impressions.

The Good:

- No hiccups or jams or failures.
    - Recoil seems less than what is felt with the G19.
    - Points extremely naturally for me; I did some rapid point shooting and was very surprised at the results.
    - Controls all felt very natural and worked well at speed.
    - 7yd accuracy very acceptable.

The Bad:

- 25yd accuracy with all four loads incredibly bad. Not as bad a my defective shield which did 12" at 25yds, but still surprisingly bad with the best barely under 5" at 25yds. This is with reloads and factory ammo. It is due in large part to the trigger, I suspect.
    - 19yd accuracy with a rest was awful as well; over 4".

The Ugly:

- The trigger. My God what an awful trigger! I could never tell when it was going to break. There is a distinct issue with the trigger "catching" on something internally. I read somewhere on the net that the G2c still utilizes some component of the PT111 Millenium trigger group with the key lock, and that part causes the issue I'm having. I believe there is a simple solution to that so I will get that done ASAP.

- The trigger... Odd that while rapid firing I didn't notice it and gun ran great. But when slow-firing for accuracy, it was awful. Had to release and re-set the trigger pull on several shots because it kept catching.

Summary:

This is a great little CCW pistol that is handicapped by it's awful trigger and name. With only an hour or so and 100 rounds through it, it is going to take quite a bit more range time and some trigger work before I trust my life to it.

And normally I wouldn't even consider it if it wasn't for just how incredibly good it feels to shoot and how good the numbers are; 12 rounds of 9mm in an XDS and G26-sized pistol for $200.

If I can fix the trigger relatively easily and cheaply and get it to shoot 3" groups at 25yds, then it will be my new favorite carry pistol.

The range pics:

25 yard 5-shot groups slow fire with a bench rest...

Attachment 222812

Attachment 222813

Attachment 222814

Slow fire off-hand at 7 yards:

Attachment 222815

Slow fire off-hand at 7 yards, 20 rounds...

Attachment 222816
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

What amazed me was just how naturally it pointed. Ten shots in under 3 seconds...

Attachment 222817

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ThomR View Post
    Lakeline LLC makes aftermarket parts for these guns.
    I ordered the striker channel guide that is polished stainless steel and replaces the plastic factory one with the hole for the lock. I hear that's supposed to help quite a bit. Was also surprised to see some nice sights available as well. Will have to get a fiber optic front and solid black rear in the future; if the trigger can be fixed...

I own three "Tauri".

First one I got was a PT22. Fair little pistol, not very accurate, and very picky on ammo type.

The other semi-auto is a Millennium PT45. First cartridge I ever cast a boolit for, reloaded, and fired was out of this pistol. I carry it every so often open when biking or jogging out here in the boonies. Very reliable and has never failed to feed or eject with a wide variety of ammo. Feed ramp on it looks like polished mirror chrome. If I ever had to use it for defense, I would not mind so much it being confiscated for a term.

The last one, is a 606 revolver. Compensated snub nose 357. That little wheel gun changed forever my impression of snub nose revolvers. It points and shoots right to the point of aim every time. Blue finish on it is perfect, even though I got it used. It had been backup for a LEO, and I traded an unwanted Remington 870 for it with a little cash on top, at a gun show. I must have got one of the best of the production run, and doubt if I will ever let it go. I carry that one in my fishing vest when out in the Rockies searching for trout.

BTW, I got another 870, one that can handle 3½" shells, rather than 3".
    100,000 BC: stone tools. 4,000 BC: the wheel. 900 AD: gunpowder — bit of a game changer, that one

Peter Weyland, 2023

Nothing to worry about, because for once, I have the proper tool at hand. Looking for a little heat?.......Any questions?

Burt Gummer, Tremors 3

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Finally took my G2c to the range and got a very mixed bag of impressions.

The Good:

- No hiccups or jams or failures.
    - Recoil seems less than what is felt with the G19.
    - Points extremely naturally for me; I did some rapid point shooting and was very surprised at the results.
    - Controls all felt very natural and worked well at speed.
    - 7yd accuracy very acceptable.

The Bad:

- 25yd accuracy with all four loads incredibly bad. Not as bad a my defective shield which did 12" at 25yds, but still surprisingly bad with the best barely under 5" at 25yds. This is with reloads and factory ammo. It is due in large part to the trigger, I suspect.
    - 19yd accuracy with a rest was awful as well; over 4".

The Ugly:

- The trigger. My God what an awful trigger! I could never tell when it was going to break. There is a distinct issue with the trigger "catching" on something internally. I read somewhere on the net that the G2c still utilizes some component of the PT111 Millenium trigger group with the key lock, and that part causes the issue I'm having. I believe there is a simple solution to that so I will get that done ASAP.

- The trigger... Odd that while rapid firing I didn't notice it and gun ran great. But when slow-firing for accuracy, it was awful. Had to release and re-set the trigger pull on several shots because it kept catching.

Summary:

This is a great little CCW pistol that is handicapped by it's awful trigger and name. With only an hour or so and 100 rounds through it, it is going to take quite a bit more range time and some trigger work before I trust my life to it.

And normally I wouldn't even consider it if it wasn't for just how incredibly good it feels to shoot and how good the numbers are; 12 rounds of 9mm in an XDS and G26-sized pistol for $200.

If I can fix the trigger relatively easily and cheaply and get it to shoot 3" groups at 25yds, then it will be my new favorite carry pistol.

The range pics:

25 yard 5-shot groups slow fire with a bench rest...

Attachment 222812

Attachment 222813

Attachment 222814

Slow fire off-hand at 7 yards:

Attachment 222815

Slow fire off-hand at 7 yards, 20 rounds...

Attachment 222816
    I think that is all trigger. After it breaks in and you become used to it the groups should tighten up alot. You tried cast in it yet? Most of my handguns are more accurate with boolits.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast