Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: AR 9mm barrel to 9x39 conversion

Boolit Master

AR 9mm barrel to 9x39 conversion

I hope this is the right place to post this question. Would it be ok to take one of these 9mm barrels in place of a 7.62x39 barrel and do the 9mmx39 thing? That is really close enough to the LORD'S perfect .358 diameter for me.
    Look twice, shoot once.

The rifling rate might be a tad fast. The 9x39mm would have much higher velocity than the 9x19mm for which the barrel was intended.

Boolit Master

rechamber the 9x19 ar barrel correct?
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

You'd have to cut off 1/2" and thread it for a barrel extension making sure to index it before chambering it to 9x39mm. The 9mm barrels are blow back not locked breach. I've done 9mm DI barrels like that but prefer to just make them from a blank.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    I hope this is the right place to post this question. Would it be ok to take one of these 9mm barrels in place of a 7.62x39 barrel and do the 9mmx39 thing? That is really close enough to the LORD'S perfect .358 diameter for me.
    How are you planning on mating the barrel to the action? After it's rechambered, you'll need the extension to make to the bolt in question. Your twist rate might be a tad slow as well, the VSS was designed with a 1:8.25" twist, most 9mm AR barrels run 1:10". The chambering will be the toughest bit.

Supposedly Wolf is going to bring in 9x39 AR uppers.

Boolit Master
    What got me thinking about this , I saw a sale on 9mm x 12 inch twist barrels for sale cheap. That got me thinking that enough to stabilize heavier cast than normal jacketed bullets. I was not aware of the blow backdesign on 9 mm's. If someone is bringing these barrels out I will watch and see how they go.
    Look twice, shoot once.

DONT!!!!! 9x39 uses a .366 bullet, not .358. Please take that into consideration. Just buy a 9x39 barrel!
    Mickey Mouse School of Combat Graduate

Boolit Master
    Any update? Have you considered .357 Rimless or other .35-ish AR alternatives?

The guy from Wolf ammo said it was going to be a 278 grain bullet traveling at 950 to 1,000 fps...

Soooo...obviously subsonic...

Here is his youtube video from the 2018 SHOT show:
    https://youtu.be/vS9eMyZnZ2U

I would be curious if they will have a lighter weight round that is supersonic???

I just picked up a .300 Blackout.

It is a lot of fun.

By the way....here is Larry Vickers shooting one of those Russian suppressed machineguns:
    https://youtu.be/I_8jfMBMtVw

Boolit Master
    Twist matters, but it sounds like you spotted a better than typical example.

As far as diameter, all of the stuff I have seen along the lines of "its gotta be at least 0.357" just do not pan out for this boolit only guy. Regulars around here know all about "boolit fit", what it means and how to get it.

I asked a similar question over at the mdws web site where 5.56 cases converted to 35 cal max length (357AR) and DW 360 length (357 mini-mole) AR barrels are being made and only got the "they are blow back" response.

I know of no one that has more exerience in 35 cal ARs than Moleman (post 4). His discussion of the conversion process actually makes it sound more "do-able" than any previous discussion I have seen.

Since last Descember, I have been using a mini lathe for custom case expanders, D reamers, boolit sizers, formers, and other fun boolit / loading projects.

My last few attempts at single point threading (including the 9/16" extra fine tap and barrel threads in support of the item below) actually came out pretty good.

I have just recently achieve my first sucess at a more "gunsmithing" type project. It takes the Contender stub tube barrel concept a little farther with Dan Wesson style "easy barrel swap" features. The result is a fun shooting 7.25" barrel for sending "pop gun" 0.312" x 55 grn BLL lube (no lube groove) boolits down range from 32 acp length cases using only 2 grs of titegroup.

Nekshot, I might be tempted to try converting a low cost 9mm x 12 twist barrel to shoot a round that uses 5.56 brass trimmed to 360 DW length. Care to provide more info on what you saw.
    Last edited by P Flados; 08-08-2018 at 11:23 PM.