RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Line powder coating baking basket with non stick?

Boolit Master

Line powder coating baking basket with non stick?

I am dumping my powder coated pistol boolits into a wire mesh basket single layer and baking them. Tonight I thought it would be nice if there was a non stick wire mesh. Then a thought occurred to me... has anyone lined their basket with parchment paper or non stick aluminum foil, and if so how did it work for you?

I’ve been using Eastman Ford blue 20 minutes at 400 F, and they sure are pretty.

Randy
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master

Non-stick foil works great! I wouldn't do it any other way. A sheet of foil will last for several batches, and the bullets just slip right off. Just pay attention to which side is the non-stick side.

I've used HF Red powder, but mostly use powder from Smoke4320. Good stuff.

Boolit Man
    yep nonstick foil is what I use also. works like a charm

Boolit Master
    +1 As Taterhead said: "Just pay attention to which side is the non-stick side."

Boolit Master
    I use parchment paper but I stand my boolits up. I would still get sticking with non stick foil and would end up tearing the foil and needing to replace it at least every other batch. The parchment paper is still going strong in the bottom of my trays after 20- 30 batches.

Boolit Master
    When you line the bottom of the tray, do you get any flat spots on the sides of the boolits?
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

you get some flat spotting with non stick foil. Its all I use now. How much depends on bullet you are coating. you will get the most with a smooth sided bullet. The heaver the bullet the more pronounced it will be. I stand up my larger bullets. Once you size them you will never know the flat spot was there. I do large batches of pistol bullets up to my 35 cal and stand up my 45 cal. I am a little more particular with my rifle bullets. With the exception of my 300 bo bullets I do large batches of those on there sides. My rule of thumb is if I am weight sorting I stand them up if they are not important enough to weight sort the go on there side in larger batches.https://i.imgur.com/rTEPbvy.jpg?1
    Last edited by Time Killer; 06-16-2018 at 09:55 AM.

Boolit Master
    Thanks, I think I’m going to give parchment paper liner a try.

On a sidenote, Time Killer I see in that picture that you posted the link of you cast fishing jigs as well. I have the same mold that I got recently but I’ve had bad fill out, do you find that you have to have a lead very hot in order to get better fill out?
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
    Thanks, I think I’m going to give parchment paper liner a try.

On a sidenote, Time Killer I see in that picture that you posted the link of you cast fishing jigs as well. I have the same mold that I got recently but I’ve had bad fill out, do you find that you have to have a lead very hot in order to get better fill out?
    I also cast the walleye style jigs with the barb to hold the plastic grub....I need to get the mold and lead hot to get a good barb. I fish them both ways and the walleye don't seem to mind, but I like those with a usable barb better. (Where I fish we leave a lot of jigs on the river bottom, none last very long)

Boolit Master
    I think I’ll run the lead hotter next time, and try to keep the mold hotter as well. Are you using pure lead with some tin to help fill out? I meant to try it again a few days ago when I casted about 20 pounds of boolits, but forgot to take out the jig mold. Maybe next time.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hodges View Post
    I use parchment paper but I stand my boolits up. I would still get sticking with non stick foil and would end up tearing the foil and needing to replace it at least every other batch. The parchment paper is still going strong in the bottom of my trays after 20- 30 batches.
    I have had the same experience with the non stick foil. I went to parchment paper also. Works great!

Boolit Master

For those of you who have had foil sticking, are you sure that you're using the non-stick side of the foil? There are two sides to it. I just coated about 1k boolits today. 6 different types. Not one stuck.

Banned
    tin will definitely help with fill out.
    casting fishing jigs I'd use the cheapest " garbage lead (well fluxed) I could find. I wouldn't go over 800°

I've never had a problem with pc'd boolits sticking excessively to wire mesh baskets, nothing a light tap with my small leather casting mallet won't cure.

you won't get flat spots if you knock off all the excess PC before baking

Boolit Master
    Yes, in the beginning I didn’t shake enough excess powder off. I guess I was afraid I was going to shake too much off. Now I shake pretty vigorously until I don’t see any more powder falling and I have had a lot less imperfections.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master
    Reference the fishing jigs. I use recovered range lead...clean but whatever alloy it is. I hoard my tin for boolits....the jigs work both ways.

Boolit Master

I use parchment paper aswell. Reason being, its what the dollar store has and i shop there a lot. it works very well. i stand up bullets now. Helps the coating look better.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

Got some silicone mats today to try. If they work as well as the parchment and do not build up with PC, they will be the ticket!