Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Bought a metal carport today.

Boolit Master

Bought a metal carport today.

I have been shooting at my back fence for the past several years. I finally decided to build a nice airgun range. I bought a 18×21 carport. It will take a few weeks for installation.

I'm going to build a back stop 6ft tall x20 long using 4x4s in the ground and metal roofing. I will have a small sand back stop to shoot into. The metal roofing will be to contain stray pellets on my property. I'm going to use a tractor trailer mudflap behind my stand up target stand. Don't plan on anything intentionally hitting the metal backstop.

I practice silhouette a lot so the front of the carport will be 45yds and the back will be 50yds.

You should look into a rubber mulch bullet trap. For the airgun it wouldn't have to be all that big. Mine is 2 feet long and has stopped the 444 marlin, 45 colt, and 308 MX with no issues

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bullet trap 1.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	147.4 KB 
ID:	222169Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trap.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	222170Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bullet trap 4.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	222171

Boolit Master
    If a ragged old rug or carpet ia available these make great pellet or arrow stopper fillers.
    A fair sized cardboard box stuffed with squares cut to fit has served me well at various times. Wrap tightly with duct tape and remember to cover with a tarp or garbage bag if left outside and they last a summer or several.

BTW
    When I saw the title I thought you had shot holes in a neighbor's carport and had to buy them a new one.

I have a 20 foot airgun/blowgun/pistol crossbow range in my basement.

Started with a steel 2 drawer filing cabinet. Hung 8 layers of bath towel with a clear plastic tote in the bottom to catch pellets.

Have a binder clip screwed to the top to hang targets and one of those metal self resetting airgun/.22lr targets at the bottom.

Have yet to see an airgun pellet go through all the towel and hit the back board. And one of mine kicks pellets out at 950 to 975 fps.

I bet even a foot of rubber mulch would stop the pellets. Piece of paneling in front for mulch retention and stapling targets to.

Boolit Master
    The metal is just because there are horses that could be 20 yds behind my back stop. I want a sand trap 4 cross ties high so I can see my misses when shooting silhouette
    Last edited by GARD72977; 06-15-2018 at 10:40 PM.

Banned

a simple .22rf bullet trap is both cheap and extremely effective. i've been using a champion trap at 5 to 15 yards for the last 8 years, works just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    a simple .22rf bullet trap is both cheap and extremely effective. i've been using a champion trap at 5 to 15 yards for the last 8 years, works just fine.

I have a trap like this as well . I drilled the side plates and have a rod across it now that I have a spinner hung on . Close to same as silhouette shooting and saves me the hassle of standing them up again . Enjoy the shade of the car port .Marvin

Boolit Master

Seeing the impact of misses is great feed back.
    Good on you for taking the effort of making your range fun and useful.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Bub
    Don't you find this noisy? I've read of folks using putty to deaden the clang.
    "Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier, or not having been at sea." --Dr. Johnson