Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionPBcastco
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Bore Butter for lube?

Boolit Bub

Bore Butter for lube?

I have an old container of Tompson Center Bore Butter-- could this be safely used as boolit lube? (Go easy- newbie here!!!)
    Thanks for the advice-
    Greg in West Mitten

Greg, I sometimes use a hollow stick version of Bore Butter (made by Ox Yoke years ago & purchased at a ridiculously low price) for both rifle & revolver CB's. As it works quite well, I don't why you couldn't do the same with T/C's product.

Let me add that Bore Butter gets runny in warm weather, so you may want to factor in the ambient temperature before you apply it.
    Last edited by Maven; 06-15-2018 at 07:08 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks!!!

Banned

It's good stuff for black powder shooting. We have an early muzzle loader season in September and there have been times Bore Butter is pretty much a liquid when it gets warm. Perhaps mixing it with some wax might firm it up some.

Boolit Grand Master

You might try mixing with beeswax to firm it up some its pretty soft as is. I would try a very small amount in a double boiler melt the beeswax and add the bore butter to see if it blends. if so experiment with ratios to get the desired hardness and test. Paraffin or soy wax mat be an option also

Boolit Master
    I would not think that the soy wax would work really well. Some of the wax I have used in lubes tend to dry out and then fall out of the lube grooves. Perhaps the extra oil of bore butter would off set that. Or just do not let the lubed bullets sit around. Do NOT overheat the soy wax. The double boiler will prevent that from happening.

Banned
    I use Bore butter when shooting cap & ball revolvers. It is useful for lubing felt wads seated under the ball or for covering the front of the seated ball. But I must agree with richodg66, it's pretty much liquid at anything above room temp.
    I think it could be a useful substitute for regular bullets lubes if the projectiles were soft and the velocities low.

I also agree that mixing it with something like beeswax may help but at that point you might as well just use NRA 50/50.

Boolit Master

I use T/C Bore Butter or LYMAN Black Powder GOLD in an old LYMAN 450 to lube & size Bullets for Black Powder Cartridges. I cast, then lube & size in the cool winters here in SoCal. Then the bullets are stored in the garage fridge. If I loaded & then stored them in the garage, then headed out to the 100 degree temp at the range during our summers here, the lube would melt right down through the cardboard & felt wads.
    Contaminate the powder right away.

But I sure wouldn't use it for regular lube.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    I mix bore butter with beeswax to use between a felt wad and the ball of my C&B revolver. I think I used a 50/50 mix. It’s probably too stiff to make good boolit lube so you might want to go 60% butter / 40% beeswax or less.

It works well with black powder and smells good too.

Super Moderator

For my black powder stuff, I usually use Bore Butter in the winter and a 50/50 blend of beeswax and olive oil in the summer. I also discovered that the beeswax olive oil mix blends easily with Bore Butter. I have a tub of this that I have been using in my C&B revolvers.

Boolit Master

If you’re using it for smokeless rounds I wouldn’t suggest it, there are too many better/cheaper options out there.