Thread: Full circle

Boolit Grand Master

Full circle

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3768 (2).jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	222164
    In 1966 a skinny, short-haired, gawky 13 year old was taken to the Detroit Police range by the father of my friend Jim. His dad was a Detroit Police officer, and he was going to let his son and friend, me, shoot a "real" revolver. That gun was a Ruger Single Six 22 long rifle. The rangemaster gave us cotton balls to stuff in our ears, but no eye protection was required in those days. Safety instructions were given and then we went on to our firing lane. A target was run out and we commenced to shooting, I had quite a bit of experience shooting pellet, BB and 22 rifles, but I had never shot a hand gun before. Carefully lining up the sights like the signs on the wall had shown I squeezed the trigger and got an 8! I was hooked! We shot up several boxes of 22's and at the end, his dad let us each shoot his 38 a couple times. Sadly, Jimmy moved away shortly thereafter, and it was to be years before I shot other handguns.

In 1974, I bought my first revolver, and it was a single six, too. But a convertible, with two cylinders, one for shorts, longs and long rifles, the other for 22 Magnums. It didn't shoot all that well, and after a year or so I sold it and bought a S&W M-17. I haven't owned a Single Six since.

Well, things recently changed. My father-in-law, who recently passed away, gave me the gun in the picture above shortly before his death. I have a ten year old grand daughter who is learning to shoot. I am going to start using it to teach her the rudiments of pistol craft and arrange to pass it on to her when I cash in my chips. But in the mean time, I can hold and look at it and reconnect to my younger self. Sort of like meeting an old friend for the first time in a long while.

Anybody else renewed an old acquaintence recently?
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

very nice remembrance.
    good plans too.

i'm still trying on/off to find a pre model 10 that has NO finish left like the one i learned to shoot revolvers with. grandpa was a good teacher of things.

they are out there but well above what i can pay atm.
    Last edited by WebMonkey; 06-15-2018 at 05:21 PM.
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Grand Master

I bought a 1970 Ruger Blackhawk in 1971, it was my first and only handgun for many years . In 1995 it was stolen. Of all the firearms I ever owned it meant the most to me. In 2015 I get a call from the Sheriff's Office , the gun was recovered from a pawn shop in Kingman Arizona. The detective , who made the original theft report 20 years ago, brought it back to me !
    Returned after 20 years ....I was more than happy to have her back.
    The best part , the gun was in excellent condition , no damage, no rust , no wear and the sights were still sighted in as they were 20 years ago. I had squirreled away some real ivory grips (bought new for $65.00 in 1971) I didn't want them to get damaged so only put them on the gun a few times. I said ..It's Time, put the ivories on , got a new holster and gun belt and we go shooting whenever we can. Tomorrow's Father's Day and we are going dancing again.
    You know your first anything , especially a prized handgun , is always special.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Single Six was the first handgun I ever shot as well. A tender 6 years old and I was hooked. Bleach bottles on the hill bank with my uncle. HOOKED I tell ya!!

Then went on to shoot my brother's new .410 my Dad got him for his birthday. He was 11, I was still 6. I was addicted.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    Too bad no photo's of the barrel nick was posted.. It would complete the story...

Not a Single six but my buddy had a Mark II Government model (6 7/8" heavy bbl) that I loved and lusted after for a long time. he was selling some of his and this was one of them. As I was getting around to trying to buy, I stopped by my local shop and there was a brand new one for the price my buddy was asking for his used one so I bought it instead. Another friend bought it from him and I bought an LCP. He didn't like the Mark II much and I didn't really have much need for the LCP so a little $$$ and the LCP and now I've got both of them. I do use both of them just not as much as I should.

Quote Originally Posted by CLAYPOOL View Post
    Too bad no photo's of the barrel nick was posted.. It would complete the story...
    The nicked barrel pic is right beside the S-6 pics.

Boolit Master
    Had ss single six great fun gun it definatley roared with 22 mag after firing 22 lr .

I have a single six convertable, .22lr or .22mag. Cussed it for years, just never could get it to settle down and make decent groups.

Then one day I was taking a neighbor to the range and threw it in the bag with the .22mag cylinder in and a box of 50. That little gun surprised the heck out of me. Turns out its a laser with the .22mags.

Turned itself into my 2nd favorite pistol and has the Ruger Mk III 22/45 doing safe time while it gets shot.
    Had a fair stash of old .22mag ammo thanks to my father in law. Ordered a thousand new ones figuring I'll shoot up the old stock. I could wish it had better sights on it, but it puts em where I point it.