Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Precision primer insertion?

Boolit Master

Precision primer insertion?

Over the years I have been using various methods of inserting primers into cases. Mostly Hornady and Pacific presses, which do not set primers to a precise depth, but only give you a "feeling of pressure" when you hit the bottom of the primer pocket. When reloading "range brass" in 9mm Luger, the various sizes of the primer pockets, even after reaming them, still gave me various pressures that lead to not setting my primers correctly. So I switched to using an RCBS RAM Prime unit on my Pacific C press to get precise depth settings on the primers as the Cam-Over lets me do that on this press. My question is: Are there any other priming methods that automatically loads primers to the unit and allows precision depth control with a limiting Cam-Over of the loading unit, so I don't have to rely on "feeling the pressure" to set them?

Boolit Grand Master

The rcbs bench mounted primer Is adjustable. but varying case makes will require a slightly different "setting" for each brand. This does work on rifke brass that's been uniformed to the same depth of the primer pocket. Swaging pockets makes them round and the same size but doesn't change the depth same with reaming them makes them the same size and round but dosnt change varying depths. I seat by feel now the ram primes can be adjusted thru how deep the unit is screwed in the press and sometimes how deep the primer stem is screwed in.
    One thing I have found to help in seating primers is a light chamfer or bevel on the edge of the primer pocket. This helps to alighn and center the primer as it enters the case. It dosnt take much, a visible bevel ring maybe .005-.010 in width by eye helps a lot. The radius dosnt always alighn the primer as well as it should.

In my "older" days I was taught to seat the primer .002 to .005 below the surface of the brass checked with a Dial Indicator. I began using a Lee hand primer for better "feel" and then spot check with the DI for the .002 to .005. Pretty soon you could seat them well by feel. It is slow and one at a time, but I have a lot of patience with just about every hobby that I am involved in. Also I can usually see a primer that is going in upside down. Also I guess that I don't shoot as much as some of you do. I do envy youall that have to hurry to be ready for that next competition shooting event tomorrow. Eeehaaa

Super Precision Click Head Priming Tool from 21st Century Shooting.
    SINCLAIR PRIMING TOOL

i never use either one of the above but I do use my CO-AX press for priming the M1 Carbine, Garand and SKS. It is very precise and designed for that kind of precision.
    "An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out." Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by daboone View Post
    Super Precision Click Head Priming Tool from 21st Century Shooting.
    SINCLAIR PRIMING TOOL

i never use either one of the above but I do use my CO-AX press for priming the M1 Carbine, Garand and SKS. It is very precise and designed for that kind of precision.
    I looked at both of these priming tools, the one from 21st Century and the Sinclair tool, and it seems like my RCBS Ram Prime tool is a better solution for far less money. But again, I have to hand load individual primers which I was trying to get away from. And your CO-AX press (I assume the Forster Press) looks like it is single loading of primers also, albeit difficult to get them in there? And I can't tell if it "Cams-Over" when setting them to a precise, adjustable depth like I can do with the Ram-Prime?

Boolit Master

There's the K&M with the built in gauge.

http://kmshooting.com/primer-tools/p...imer-gage.html

Boolit Buddy
    Do those tools actually seat to different depths, or do they actually flatten or crush the primer uniformly?

I don't use a bench mounted priming system. I do use, and love the RCBS Universal hand primer system.

There is a definite "feel" to a perfectly set primer. As well as an primer going into a dirty hole which approaches that level of feel is either

A Primer fully inserted, hand lever all the way up. Or

B Primer NOT fully inserted, hand lever only 2/3rds of the way up.

So when in doubt you have a quick visual check.

I always thought my primers looked good, uniform. But I have an older friend who used to run a shoe shop/sporting goods store in northern Minnesota. I was showing off some of my loaded ammo to him. He started looking at primers. Now this guy was shooting precision rifle, loading his own loads back in the 50's.

He's seen a lot of ammo in his day. And he starts asking questions.

Bill what primers? CCI prefered, no problems, no reason to switch. If I can't get them it would be WW or Fed.

"You did not buy this brass primed?"
    No bob, loaded those and fired em twice, that is load #3.

"How you set those primers?"

So I told him. "So its kinda like the Lee? Only maybe better?"

So my next trip I brought 100 clean unprimed brass, 100 large rifle primers, loaded it up and let him walk through it. He was impressed. When I think about it so am I.

Foolproof tool IMO, although you do have to watch on small primers, every now and then one will flip and try to load upside down or sideways. Easy to catch and fix it if your paying attention and eyeballing each primer as it comes up.

What I love about it, no shell holders, ever. Easy switch from large to small and back.

Switching from large to large or different caliber but same size primer is no delay at all.
    Just grab the next rack, load primers and go.

And yes, I like it when old smart guys think the primers are so uniform they must be factory.
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it. YMMV.

Boolit Master
    Correct technique presses the anvil into the priming pellet .002" to .006". Setting the primer to some artificial depth does not guarantee the anvil is seated.

No rifle bench rest shooters that I know of set primers to some predetermined depth.
    Any doubts check out the guys at the accurate shooters forum.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    My understanding is the primer should be seated .003" to .005" below the surface of the rim to properly set the "bridge" of primer material between the anvil and cup. This assumes the primer pocket to be within spec.

I switched to the RCBS APS Bench Mount because you can set the depth. The automatic feed works well.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

The Forster co-ax is seat to a pre set depth.

The Lee Load master and Dillon 1050 you set the depth and the primer is seated to the depth you adjusted it to, no “feel” involved.

Are we going to use the 9mm as a bench rest cartridge now? Seat the primers for proper function and forget about the rest with pistol cartridges. Uff dah!
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Unless the primer pockets are cut precisely the same, seating primers to the same depth will leave some not fully seated, and others crushed. When using run-of-the-mill cases it is better to seat them to the same pressure, or "feel."

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Unless the primer pockets are cut precisely the same, seating primers to the same depth will leave some not fully seated, and others crushed. When using run-of-the-mill cases it is better to seat them to the same pressure, or "feel."
    Ditto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Unless the primer pockets are cut precisely the same, seating primers to the same depth will leave some not fully seated, and others crushed.
    Or all not fully seated or all crushed.

The K&M is the only priming tool that can consistently seat primers to a specified depth relative to the bottom of the primer pocket. Everything else is guessing.

Doesn’t look much different that other hand priming tools. Even says “...seat the primer until they "feel" it just touch the bottom of the primer pocket.” In the description.

What am I missing?

http://kmshooting.com/primer-deluxe.html

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    Doesn’t look much different that other hand priming tools. Even says “...seat the primer until they "feel" it just touch the bottom of the primer pocket.” In the description.

What am I missing?

http://kmshooting.com/primer-deluxe.html
    The one with the gauge, http://kmshooting.com/primer-tools/p...imer-gage.html

Primers should be seated until they contact the bottom of the primer pocket. Brass makes, lots and even variances of primer pockets within any given lot make this more difficult. If you are going to use a mechanical stop on the priming operation, then you need to uniform your primer pockets so they have the same depth.

I take the easy way out and use a hand primer so I can get a true feel of the primer contacting the bottom of the pocket. I used either an old RCBS Posi-Prime or the priming die in a 310 tool. It is quite easy to mess up a primer seating with a press.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    years ago I bought a Sinclair primer pocket reaming tool and found that, with few exceptions, primer pockets were not deep enough!

The tool has a built in stop so it always the primer pockets the same and correct depth, which puts the primer below the case head which is what I was looking for!

I'd always read the gun writers saying they seated primers below the case head but could never figure out how they did it till I got the tool, the gun waters never seemed to mention that part.

It only has to be done once, as does uniforming the flash hole, and while time consuming it makes the brass so much more load ready and the primers always reach the same depth by feel.

Food for thought.

HM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast