Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ruger #1 Barrel Issues

Boolit Master
    Toolmaker
    You might troll the posts at the ASSRA site for .40-70 SS articles.
    When I bored the Hepburn the only possible brass was the 9.3X74R brass. That brass has a thin rim so it was a little sloppy in the Remington.
    Today we have Hornady .405 brass when you can find it. It has a fine heavy duty rim. I consider it better than the metric brass. It does require a deeper rim recess than original .40-70 SS brass.
    Boring the chamber was not very difficult other than the potential of destroying an unreplaceable original barrel.
    EDG

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    Toolmaker
    You might troll the posts at the ASSRA site for .40-70 SS articles.
    When I bored the Hepburn the only possible brass was the 9.3X74R brass. That brass has a thin rim so it was a little sloppy in the Remington.
    Today we have Hornady .405 brass when you can find it. It has a fine heavy duty rim. I consider it better than the metric brass. It does require a deeper rim recess than original .40-70 SS brass.
    Boring the chamber was not very difficult other than the potential of destroying an unreplaceable original barrel.
    Yes, have looked at the 405 brass, but you're right, can be a little hard to find. Since I would be chambering a new barrel, rim wouldn't be an issue one way or another. I've seen where BA has brass made from 30-40 I think. Should be good stuff though.
    Thanks for the ASSRA tip too. Was a member in the past, need to be again.
    “The State that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools.”
    ― Thucydides

“The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.”
    ― Thucydides

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12