RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Forster Coax shell plates

Boolit Master

Forster Coax shell plates

I am using Hornady dies to resize 458 Socom. They do not resize completely, won't fit the case gauge. Yes I have adjusted the die to touch the holder which is also Hornady. Most often the remedy for this some say is remove some of the top of the shell holder, remove some of the die or use a shim in the shell holder to raise the cartridge. I can do any of these but....

I have an unboxed Coax press and was wondering if the shell plates with that press allow casings to size completely. Yea, I know, try it and see. I've not used this press because I have several others in use.
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Boolit Grand Master

FWIW, I have had no problems F/L sizing any brass on my Co-Ax with the jaw plate assy. I have run 30-06, 308 and several pistol/revolver cases through mine and saw no indication they were not completely sized...

I tried a case gauge for my 30-06 ammo and was chasing my tail for a couple weeks trying to get my cases/ammo to fit the gauge. I asked a question on the CMP forum and got one reply; "do they chamber?". I checked and yep, the ammo chambered nicely. I put the case gauge in a drawer, someplace. Later I found the cases would not fit the gauge because the cases' rims were getting dented/bent from the case hitting the OP rod on it's way out...

BTW; my Co-Ax is the best press I've used in 30+ years of reloading. I have had several single stage presses, one hand press and one turret press (I also helped a feller a few times and operated his Dillon automatic everything, super duper reloading machine), but my Co-Ax is so much better than any. I'd say unbox it and put the other presses away, more than likely, you will love it!
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

My old coax started giving me troubles sizing cases to true full length after a few years of heavy use 10,000 -15,000 308s 7000-10000 223s along with 30-06 243 and a couple wildcats) but it wasn't actually the shell plates. mine was pre wear plate ( new presses have a .060 thick hardened plate under the jaw assembly mine didn't) the cast iron base had worn and was letting cases set .010 deeper than normal. I took it into work and milled it flat and square to the rods removing .050 from the surface. then made a wear plate from hardened banding. So far after 15 years or so of use its only showing a brightened area where the cases set.
    I would give the coax a try and see what it does if its the die cut 2 deep it may not fix the problem if its in your shell holder it should. Of the coax change dosnt fix the issue then the problem is probably a die cut a little deep. If it does then its in the shell holder. I prefer to remove metal from the dies base in this way I don't have a dedicated shell holder to keep track of for the die set. I also find most dies slightly softer than shell holders are.
    In a lathe chuck the die with the lock ring against the jaws tight. The lock ring acts as a stop keeping the die from slipping into the chuck. With the depth rod or a depth mic take a measurement to the lock ring from end of die. face down to where this measurement is .010 less than the first reading. Break edges and polish radius and your done. The whole process takes about 5 minutes.
    By Hand a piece of flat steel or surface plate several grits of wet dry sand paper and a 7/8" 14 jam nut. Instal the lock ring so the jam nut can be set in place even with the base of the die Thake you reading to the lock ring as above. Now with 80-100 grit on the flat surface work the die in a brisk figure 8 pattern with some light oil on the paper. Work here to where .005-.006 has been removed. Then go to 180 or 220 grit then 320 and 600 to finish. Again repolish the radius and remove any burrs sharp edges. The nut helps by giving more surface and makes holding square easier.

Vendor Sponsor

First thing I would try is using a RCBS #3 shellholder or any other shellholder that fits a 22-250, 243, 6mm Rem, 25-06, 270, 280, 308, 30-06 8mm mauser .. Some times its just a mismatch of shellholder and die
    its worth a few minutes to try
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by daengmei View Post
    I am using Hornady dies to resize 458 Socom. They do not resize completely, won't fit the case gauge. Yes I have adjusted the die to touch the holder which is also Hornady. Most often the remedy for this some say is remove some of the top of the shell holder, remove some of the die or use a shim in the shell holder to raise the cartridge. I can do any of these but....

I have an unboxed Coax press and was wondering if the shell plates with that press allow casings to size completely. Yea, I know, try it and see. I've not used this press because I have several others in use.
    You say you have adjusted the die to touch the shellholder, but have you screwed the die in 1/16-1/8 turn past touching? If the cases are not heavily lubed, the resistance of the case in the shellholder will allow the press frame to flex a bit. The 1/16-1/8 turn past contact alleviates the press flex and allows the most amount of resizing possible with the shellholder/die combination. I have removed up to 0.027" from a die before in order to get the case to fully resize back to chamberable dimensions. So, occasionally they do screw up on cutting a die.

I use the same shellholder for all my dies of a particular case head size so I don't want to remove material from a shellholder that works with other die setups.

Brad

Boolit Master

Also, as previously stated, how do the cases chamber as currently sized? If fine, then you don't have a problem. I have loaded numerous calibers in rifle and pistol for years and never needed or wanted a case gauge. I use the chamber as a case gauge.

Boolit Master
    I did add the additional 1/8 turn. I only tried to fit 2 and the bolt would not close by slowing allowing it forward. Letting it close with spring force it did close. They are very close as I measured them and they are only .003 larger than new casings that do fit the case gauge. I will try other shell holders before any sizing of dies or holders. Maybe it's time for the Coax. Birthday present to myself 4 years ago.....

I guess I like misery, I also have an RCBS melting pot that's just as old but new, been learning the ladle first. I don't always take the easiest route.
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Boolit Master
    Happy belated birthday, you are going to love the new press!

I had to turn a bit off the mouth of my 458 socom size die for my RRA upper.

Really wouldn’t matter much if you filed, sanded or ground it either, you will be in the radius portion of the die, won’t take much at all.

Boolit Master
    I have used different shell holders, none made a difference. That sounds like what I need, without using the new press.

I appreciate all the feedback.

You can measure their height and use the shortest one, I have even. Turned them down making them shorter instead of the mouth of the die but at some point you can remove enough material that you break the top out extracting cases from the size die.

Not to mention they are generally harder than the die.

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forster Co-ax press shell holder jaws, housing, and wear plate Homebrew vs factory.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	222275Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forster lower shellholder jaw std build drawing for 3 jaws 2.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	222276

I made and sold parts including jaws for my co-ax presses, but that was years ago.
    I was making $2/hour..... I did not quit my day job