RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pistol boolits in 30 cal rifle?

Pistol boolits in 30 cal rifle?

I enjoy shooting the lee soup can boolit in my 3006, but between the 2 banger mold and the gas check it is a slow process for a plinking round. I notice that lee sells a plain base pistol 6 banger meant for 32 cal handgun rounds, the 311 93 1r. Anyone tried these in a.rifle?
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Master
    The TL 314-90-SWC works really well for a plinker boolit. The roundnose you mentioned may work fine; just have not tried it.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Or just load the SoupCan without the GC and keep the load down around 1300 fps like .32-20 velocities, 5 grains of Bullseye in the .30-'06.

My experience has been that the short, light handgun bullets are less accurate in the '06, with its 1:10" twist and longer throat than a longer, heavier bullet like Accurate 31-155D, which "fits" the throat.

Attachment 222156Attachment 222157Attachment 222158
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

I shoot thousands of TL314-90-SWCs sized .311 in all my .30 calls and .314 in all my .31 calls. Use 2.7 gr Bullseye up through 300 Savage capacity and 3 - 3.2 gr up through 06 capacity. I TL in LLA, let dry before sizing which keeps the grooves from being swaged away. No wad or filler.

Warning; do not let wife or kids shoot or all you will be doing is casting and loading......
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

I shoot multiple .32 caliber bullets in both my 30s and 31s. Most recently I was shooting some Clone 3118s in my Enfield. Pistol bullets do great in the old war guns. Nice plinkers - easy on lead and powder.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

I've had better luck with the smaller cased 30cals. than with the 06 when shooting the various pistol bullets 30-30 and 7.62X39 really shine when loaded with bullets like the ones shown by Ed in the post above. Gp

Boolit Master
    I use a Lyman 32 77gr. RN sized to .309 in my 30s. In my 06 it shoots to POA at 65-70 ft. I use 1.8gr Red Dot. Very quiet and lots of fun.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

I don't shoot thousands like Larry G but I have shot a lot of those sweet little .314 90 gr TC boolits.

7.62x25 Cz-52, .300BO, .30-30, 7.62x39, 7.62x54r, and .32sw long. They shoot great.

I tend to run mine over moderate loads of Red Dot. The .32sw long is I think my all round favorite.
    But they all work just fine. I just wish it came in a 6 cavity.

I actually got the little round nose one first. I don't like it as well, although it does work.

I had chambering issues in the Cz-52 with that boolit, that the .314 90 does not have.

Boolit Master
    I use the 311008 as cast at .312 with one coat of LLA and 5 gr of clays. Ive not tried them in 30-06 but shot lots in 30-30 and 30-40
    They run 1200/1100 respectively and hit close enough to poa when lined up for deer loads.
    It may not be legal to have this much fun.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Master
    I shoot 32 cal all the time in my 30 cal rifles. If you don;t want to cast them, Bear Creek Supply makes a really nice 100 grain RNFP for 32 cal pistols-- they come moly coated sized to 0.313 and easily size down to 311 or even 309 without hurting the coating. typically about $35 for a box of 500.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    Listen to Larry. the load of 3.2 of bullseye and sized .311 workes great in my 308 savage axis. It shoots just likes a big 22 and just as accurate . I wanted to try the load of e c Harris of red dot or 16 gr of 2400 but this load does so good I haven’t yet. This load every body likes that I let shoot it so load double the amount you need then load double again what you think you need because you will need it. By the time the wife ,kids, there friends and random people at the range try it your out and need to reload more. Very good load

I suppose I should not let the thought of the time it takes to prep bottleneck brass stop me, but it does give me pause. Well, now that I know it works I will keep it in mind. Maybe I can figure out how to speed up the brass prep chore. It is just a lot faster and easier with a straight walled cartridge.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Master

Maybe I can figure out how to speed up the brass prep chore.
    Just buy the Lee collet neck sizer. Then just load them like a straight wall pistol cartridge. No lube required, just size& decap, "M" die,and primer then powder and bullet seat. No brass prep required. I load my 30-30's on a Lyman turret just like a .38 spl.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    That’s bassectly what I do. I use a full size die not scrued all the way down so just kind of neck sizing. I use the noe expander in my lee universal expanding die also. I used to clean primer pockets out but now only if they look real dirty

I have 32cal guns that I cast for and also size the boolit down for my 30's that I have shoot like a 22lr. it works for me and I got all the information on here to do it. Larry been a big help for me on it also.I have it that way I can hunt with the same rifle for small game and then just change the round to what it is to be for what ever else I will shot.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Super Moderator

I took Larry's advice on the Lee TL314-90 SWC a long time ago. Not only does it work, it's splendidly accurate. I also shoot thousands in my 30's sized .311 and .314 in my Mosin Nagant. Don't let case prep scare you away from this. In fact, I am using my old worn out cases for this. I just de-prime them, reprime and load them without any sizing. Re-flare the neck if needed is all. The boolits will "usually" reseat to the proper depth with just thumb pressure to the correct depth! The one thing to watch though in rimless cases is shoulder setback due to primer thrust. No problems at all with rimmed cases like 30-30 and 7.62x54R, 30-40 etc.

You may find that you don't have to size the cases. With some bolt rifles, decap, prime, add scoop of powder seat bullet by hand, load, shoot. Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
    I suppose I should not let the thought of the time it takes to prep bottleneck brass stop me, but it does give me pause. Well, now that I know it works I will keep it in mind. Maybe I can figure out how to speed up the brass prep chore. It is just a lot faster and easier with a straight walled cartridge.

Boolit Buddy
    Not quite a "pistol" boolit, but ordered this small rifle bullet (NOE 311-122-FN-J4 4 cavity GC) for a plinking load (and to get my daughter moving from the 10/22 to the 308 bolt action). My plan is to use it exclusively as a subsonic load:
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...oducts_id=3167

I have QuickLOAD, and came up with the various loads to try with powders I have on hand:
    5.6gr TrailBoss
    4.3gr Green Dot
    4.7gr Unique
    4.7gr W321

Per QuickLOAD, all of those above are just shy of 1000fps from my 18.5" Savage model 10 rifle. Any advice/tips given those 4x choices above?

Should be fun to shoot and I hope my daughter will love it as well

Will

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Accurate 31-125D with 3.5 grains of Bullseye is 950 fps from my Winchester 94 in .30-30 with 20-inch barrel and is fairly quiet and accurate enough.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Though not a pistol boolit. My personal favorite is the Lyman 311410 130gr. PB. It has a fairly long baring surface for a light for caliber boolit. It works very well in all .308 caliber cartridges using fast or slow burning powders. 1 in the chamber and 1 in the tube for all tube fed rifles. Or you can bump the nose and load as usual.
    Last edited by 45-70 Chevroner; 06-20-2018 at 07:00 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast