Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee Precision

Thread: WWII Air Show in Granite Falls, MN. June 16, 2018

Moderator Emeritus

WWII Air Show in Granite Falls, MN. June 16, 2018

Not casting related...

Everything I've heard about this show, says it quite the event. I'm looking forward to this tomorrow, My Daughter and SIL are taking me along with a couple of their friends. Anyone else going?

http://www.fagenfighterswwiimuseum.org/

Attachment 222154

From the FB page:
    GREATEST GENERATION CELEBRATION
    Ray Fagen Memorial Airshow - June 16, 2018 Gates open at 11AM

ADMISSION: (wrist bands) - $20/Adults, $10/kids 10-17, kids 9 and under and WWII veterans - free In person sale of wristbands will begin on May 28th at Citizens Alliance Bank, Fagen, Inc. Corporate Office and Fagen Fighters WWII Museum (during normal business hours) all in Granite Falls Minnesota. Local people are encouraged to buy early to avoid congestion on Airshow day. All other admission wristbands will be purchased the day of the Airshow; cash and credit cards will be accepted (cash preferred)that day.

GENERAL AVIATION: Due to the lack of ramp space, all non-WWII era aircraft will be diverted to Montevideo (MVE) and Marshall (MML) airports. A shuttle will be provided to the Airshow from Montevideo and Marshall at 10AM and 1PM. After the day airshow, one shuttle will be provided at approximately 6PM back to Montevideo and Marshall.

PARKING: Airshow parking has been expanded onsite. Follow signs and volunteers as you enter. Handicap parking is close to event entrance. Offsite opportunities for parking and bus shuttles to event will be available around Granite Falls. More information about this will be available at a later date.

ITEMS TO BRING: Cameras(bags subject to inspection), sunscreen, hats, sunglasses, lawn chairs- recommended(bags subject to inspection), blankets, portable umbrella - however you may not block others' view of the show, ear plugs, strollers

ITEMS THAT CANNOT BE BROUGHT IN: No food or beverage,
    no coolers(except small coolers for infant formula or medical supplies), no loose ice, cans/glass, no alcohol, no backpacks(except for infant diaper, supplies - will be inspected), no roller blades or similar, no tents or portable shelters, no pets, no knives or weapons, no smoking anywhere onsite, DRONES ARE STRICTLY PROHIBITED WITHIN 5 NM OF THE AIRPORT PER FAA RULES.

An ATM machine is located in the Airport Terminal Building. This building also serves as the First Aid Station.

FOOD AND BEVERAGES: Food and beverages will be available to purchase at a variety of concession stands centrally located on Airshow grounds. Alcohol will be sold after the airshow approximately 6PM.

SEATING: All seating is general admission. There is no opportunity for upgrades. WWII Veterans and their families will have special seating in and in front of the USO.

GREATEST GENERATION CELEBRATION SCHEDULE:
    Gates open at 11AM - Several authors will be selling their books -
    The Museum will be open - Aircraft will be on display - Museum gift shop will be open - WWII veterans will be interviewed at approx. 1PM with Q & A time. Airshow begins at 3PM (All start times may vary due to weather) Fagen Fighters Warbirds will all fly as well as many visiting Warbirds, the fabulous Aeroshell Aerobatic Team will perform again. Greg Shelton Airshows with a wing walker performance and Younkin Airshows will entertain us. After the day airshow country singer-songwriter Jamey Johnson will perform at 7PM. He is probably best known for his award winning song "In Color" which is about WWII. An amazing night airshow by the Aeroshell Team, Greg Shelton and Matt Younkin follows the concert.
    Hope you can join us for a wonderful day!

RAIN DATE: In case of a rain out, the airshow will be held on Sunday, June 17th. Wristbands will be good for this day. The concert will go on rain or shine on Saturday, June 16th. In case of rain, the concert will be moved into the Bomber Hangar.

Also from the FB page...ie: parking

Since this is at a regional Airport, I suspect there isn't much parking there...plus being in a small city, they really rallied the local commercial district for parking and shuttles...that's kind of amazing.
    PARKING PLAN FOR RAY FAGEN MEMORIAL AIRSHOW – JUNE 16, 2018
    AIRPORT PARKING ONLY -
    For those traveling on Hwy 212, take Hwy 23 South, and then first right turn on County Road 39 located at the Pioneer Public TV location. Follow Co Rd 39 right to airport entrance where you will be directed to proper parking location within the grounds.
    For those traveling on Hwy 23 from the Marshall area, take a right on County Road 17 by the old township hall which will have signs to direct traffic. Travel approximately .5 miles and turn left on County Road 39. Continue to airport parking entrance.
    BUS SHUTTLE SERVICE TO AIRPORT FROM GRANITE FALLS –
    Parking lots included in shuttle pickup with addresses in Granite Falls are:
    YME High School Parking Lots – Corner of 4th Street and 7th Avenue
    Granite Falls Lutheran Church Lots - 350 9th Avenue
    Yellow Medicine County Courthouse - 415 9th Avenue
    Fagen, Inc. – 501 Highway 212 West
    Spec Systems - 1123 Highway 212 West
    Minnesota West Technical College Lots - 1593 11th Avenue
    Rock Haven Church - 1858 Highway 212
    Pioneer Public TV - Corner of Hwy 23 and County Rd 39
    Also, travelers may use on street parking adjacent to parking lots where permissible.
    Buses will begin shuttle service at 9:00AM and will follow a route stopping at each parking lot entrance where a bus boarding sign will be located. Please gather there. Buses will run continuously until 11:00PM, which will be the last bus leaving the airport.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Love the WW II birds. Have pictures of my boys when 6 or 8 years old in the nose gunner position in a Mitchell.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

I couldn't make it this year but have been there several time before. Mr. Fagen and his crew put on the best airshow in the state. Probably the best warbird airshow outside of Oshkosh. The museum is worth the trip, even without the airshow.

Moderator Emeritus

I've never been to an Air show before. Old Airplanes are kind of neat, but was never a passion for me.
    But let me tell you, I highly recomend it, this was a great show. Many other WWII vehicles and items there to ogle and some magnificent life-size Mural Artwork on the Hanger walls. After the first part of the Airshow was over, you could walk up and see the planes close up and talk to crew and flyers, there were also 'camp' setups with re-enactors, also they played 1940's big band music over the intercom speakers, It felt like I was in 1944.

My Daughter and SIL had been there last year (not during the airshow), they said there were only 5 or 10 other people visiting when they were there. They said it's a whole different experience when 1000+ people are there, and I have to agree...It was an amazing experience with so many people there...If I were there with only a few other visitors, it'd seem like an "After the Apocalypse" experience.

We didn't stay for the country music concert or the "dusk" part of the Air Show...But I bet it would have been swell. Maybe next time I'll go later in the afternoon, for primarily the evening part of the show.

Attachment 222242

Attachment 222241

Attachment 222244

Attachment 222245
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001