Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .41 Mag Single Shot

Boolit Bub
    +1 that is a plan

Being me I would use a Lee Enfield action. I'm sure it would work as a single shot with no mods at all. It might even feed from the mag. One trick is to use a mag with no innards. Spent cases just drop in - very handy. But then I would probably use 303 cases to make a 41 wildcat which would be longer and capable of more power or operate at lower pressure. But I digress.

On the other hand, I have this 410 break action shotgun that would be real neat in 41 mag but it's not a milsurp.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    Being me I would use a Lee Enfield action. I'm sure it would work as a single shot with no mods at all. It might even feed from the mag. One trick is to use a mag with no innards. Spent cases just drop in - very handy. But then I would probably use 303 cases to make a 41 wildcat which would be longer and capable of more power or operate at lower pressure. But I digress.

On the other hand, I have this 410 break action shotgun that would be real neat in 41 mag but it's not a milsurp.
    A .410 chamber would be too big...I think they are .45

Banned
    Would look at a Savage 340 30-30 action for a base. You could modify the mag possibly and have a repeater and they are cheap

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Blanket View Post
    Would look at a Savage 340 30-30 action for a base. You could modify the mag possibly and have a repeater and they are cheap
    I never thought about these.....thanks for the idea.

So just being curious I checked to see whether a 41 mag would work in a 303 Brit. It seems that it will. Funny enough, a 7.5x55 Swiss will work too - it has the same base diameter as the 41 mag at .490. Short cases tend to drop out before reaching the ejector pin or whatever it is called. Not a problem if the mag is not in place as the cases will just drop down the mag well or flip over the side. I was playing with an unbarreled action and one of the cases was a very shortened 303 Brit case.

The problem I see is a lack of .410" rifle barrels or liners at a good price for this project.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tunnug View Post
    Recently got me a Henry Big Boy Steel in .41Mag (16" barrel with the large loop), I know it's not an 1885 but it may scratch an itch, I finally was able to shoot it for function and it didn't disappoint, now to change the rear leaf for a Skinner sight and it'll be a good shooter.
    Kinda had to roll their brass receivers around in my mind a bit because they would have the added benefit of providing a little resistance to corrosion from any black powder blow by.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    The problem I see is a lack of .410" rifle barrels or liners at a good price for this project.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Would .40 S&W carbine barrels work?
    Don't know much about these but have noticed there were some made by various makers.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    So just being curious I checked to see whether a 41 mag would work in a 303 Brit. It seems that it will. Funny enough, a 7.5x55 Swiss will work too - it has the same base diameter as the 41 mag at .490. Short cases tend to drop out before reaching the ejector pin or whatever it is called. Not a problem if the mag is not in place as the cases will just drop down the mag well or flip over the side. I was playing with an unbarreled action and one of the cases was a very shortened 303 Brit case.
    The side mounted flat spring with stud running through the action body wall as used on some sporting rifle conversions should work. I've seen these for cartridges as small as the .22 Hornet.
    A more neat commercial conversion used a flat spring with blade turned 90 degrees that rode in a slot milled in the body.

Whichever method is used the ejector would have to be properly beveled and polished to avoid hanging up on the forward stroke of the bolt.

I guess that for me a straight wall full length case would be the answer. Seating the boolit deep would help reduce case capacity.

A 22 hornet on a Lee Enfield action?. Have barrel, have action ....

Trouble is, I already have a perfectly good 16 twist hornet that shoots boat tail 55gr sub-MOA at 2740 fps. Aah, but I need a cast 22 hornet! Which all I can use a 22lr barrel for anyway. I found a way of casting smoothside boolits for the hornet - 55gr RCBS swaged. (Off topic. I know - my apologies ).

The remnants of the lube groove is still visible.

But back to topic, I like the idea of a 41 mag single shot and would be what I would do if a barrel came my way. I have a plan to use a separate chamber screwed onto the barrel so as to be able to turn the chamber on a lathe without the use of a reamer. I would probably use a shortened Brit case though, using the same lathe set up to make the case former as the for the chamber.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 08-19-2018 at 02:38 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12