Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .41 Mag Single Shot

.41 Mag Single Shot

Surplus rifles...
    Have any suggestions on a model of mil surplus rifle to turn into a single shot .41 Mag?

Carcano comes to mind. Maybe a 91 Mauser. I'm picturing this in my mind and the extractor on these would seem to work better to snap over the .41's rim. Lifetime .41 Mag fan here; I like how you're thinking!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Very interesting project. I'd like to do the same to have a platform for testing accuracy of ammunition.

Banned
    Any rolling block would work fine with extractor mod.

Boolit Master

Not a single shot but I've considered a 41 mag on a 91 mauser with desert eagle magazines. Dont know if I'll ever get it done, though.

Boolit Buddy
    I'd love to have a .41mag long gun that wouldn't rape my wallet.

Boolit Master
    No.4 or SMLE.
    Go whole hog and do a Delise type conversion sans suppressor tube.
    The receiver can be relief cut to allow a larger diameter breech for the more powerful cartridge.

A friend told me of his plans to convert a SMLE to .45 Colt revolver (Long) cartridge.
    The Delise type conversion is suited to most large bore revolver cartridges.

I've seen a Mauser Model 1893 converted to shorter cartridges by cutting and welding the action rails and shortening the bolt. The bolt was shortened by first cutting then counter boring one end and turning down the other, then silver brazing the two together. Made a neat package.

Some day maybe a super cheap No.1 in 9.3 will appear and need to be rebored.
    Or a 1885 in 38-55.
    Or maybe I should give up on the 6.5x53R (wipe tear from eye) and make it a .41.

Sent a letter to the Winchester that basically said I want a .41 Mag 1885, how much?
    In reply I received an envelope with their catalog which is a photo montage of "cowboy" action shooting lowest common denominator garbage. Not a word about what I asked.

Cross Winchester off the list.

Boolit Master

not a Surplus rifles but i think a Contender would be the way to go
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Sent a letter to the Winchester that basically said I want a .41 Mag 1885, how much?
    In reply I received an envelope with their catalog which is a photo montage of "cowboy" action shooting lowest common denominator garbage. Not a word about what I asked.

Cross Winchester off the list.
    Recently got me a Henry Big Boy Steel in .41Mag (16" barrel with the large loop), I know it's not an 1885 but it may scratch an itch, I finally was able to shoot it for function and it didn't disappoint, now to change the rear leaf for a Skinner sight and it'll be a good shooter.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

No joy. Green Mtn doesn't make 41 caliber barrels.
    Cue Debbie Downer music.....

Boolit Buddy
    JES Re-boring does .41 barrels, and they convert 336 Marlin 30-30s to their proprietary 405 JES caliber, which is the same as .41 mag barrel. I wonder if they chamber the .41? I don't think the 30-30 will ream out to .41 mag, but maybe there's another contender.
    Last edited by reivertom; 07-14-2018 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reivertom View Post
    JES Re-boring does .41 barrels, and they convert 336 Marlin 30-30s to their proprietary 405 JES caliber, which is the same as .41 mag barrel. I wonder if they chamber the .41? I don't think the 30-30 will ream out to .41 mag, but maybe there's another contender.
    A octagon barreled one would.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Boolit Master
    i would vote for a military rolling block, new extractor and barrel fitted to it!

When I lived in SLC in '81, the fellow running Ackley's place had done one '94 conversion to .41 Mag.
    Told me it took so much work to get it to feed reliably that he'd never do another one!

A Ruger #3 in .22 Hornet or .223 would be a great .41 mag JES rebore. If he chambers for it, that is.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by reivertom View Post
    Good morning
    Basically did this about 6 years ago with my desire to have a 414 Supermag lever rifle to go along with our Dan Wesson 414 SM.
    If you do a search here for "Marlin 336 414 Supermag" the details will pop up.
    The shorter 41 mag case will require some work to be done on the lifter. A longer cartridge stop is needed to position the round closer to the chamber. Then depending on the rim guides they may need altered to get better up flow level with the chamber.
    In the end... get the Henry. Right out of the box you have a 41 mag that feeds and shoots and will cost a bit less. Plus it weights less.
    Mike in ILLinois
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Quote Originally Posted by tunnug View Post
    Recently got me a Henry Big Boy Steel in .41Mag (16" barrel with the large loop), I know it's not an 1885 but it may scratch an itch, I finally was able to shoot it for function and it didn't disappoint, now to change the rear leaf for a Skinner sight and it'll be a good shooter.
    I got one of the first 250 that they made, but it's the 20". They said they weren't going to make the 16" version.
    Guess they didn't realize how many they would sell. (Wonder how many?)
    Shoots greater, finally got a scope mount, and scope on it. Going to work up a couple loads for hunting.
    Then may do like you and put a peep on it.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Boolit Grand Master

The answer is to buy a used 1885 Pedersoli and reline it to 41 mag. I just did one in 44 Ballard extra long that uses 44 mag brass and B/P and its a hoot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast