Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need advise on bending lock hammer

Banned
    I bent a pair of hammers for an old side by side shotgun. I Put the hammers in a vise, heated them with a simple Mapp gas torch and bent them to achieve the desired shape. Cold blued them with I was done and they worked fine.

Banned

i used a simple propane torch on that offshore hammer, it did the job.

As stated, I used Mapp gas and water pump pliers to make a .410 muzzleloader roar.
    The owner bought it as a decoration - until I showed him the proof marks. The hammer was half a nipple off at least and bottomed out on the lock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Propane tourch heat it red pull it over with a wrench. Wrench equals open end and 12 point socket style use the socket style to grab and pull when the hammer joint is bright. This is as all ML books have offered. It works.

Propane is more than enough. I have aligned many that way, but this is the internet when you cannot do it yourself. Find a professional.

Boolit Grand Master

I use a section of iron pipe that fits over the hammer nose to do the bending and just heat red hot with a torch. Hold the hammer in a vise OFF the lock and fit and try till it hits dead center.

Boolit Master
    The problem your describing sounds like what I went through a while back. What brand of lock is it ? I know the percussion hammers of L & R locks don't need to be heated unless your really going to reshape them. The tricky part of bending a hammer is that you want the hammer face to contact the end of the cone (nipple) perfectly square. When I replaced the lock in my dixie tenn mtn rifle with a L & R rpl lock Bill at L & R walked me through it. The tool he said that most people have that works best is a box end wrench either 3/8" or 7/16". With the hammer in a padded vise slip the wrench over the hammer nose and push the wrench handle back towards the hammer spur. This will move the hammer face forward. The fun part is trying to figure out which way to bend it to get that perfect seal between the face and the cone if you need to adjust that as well. Good luck I hope this helps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12