MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Paying Respects

Paying Respects

I had been an ambulance driver in Company A, 9th Medical Battalion, Ft. Lewis Washington, for about a year. It was the evening formation, when the entire company stood between the white clapboard barracks to be accounted for, and hear the latest orders. The first sergeant’s face was as stiff as his starched uniform. “Alfa Company has been tapped for the burial detail this month. Ambulance platoon will be prepared to be the honor guard in two weeks. Sergeant Pippin will be in charge.” As I stood in formation with my platoon, my twenty year-old brain kicked into gear, imagining another duty designed expressly to mess up my important life plans. After all, it was an article of faith among the army enlisted men that one should try to get out of all assignments by any means possible. I was trapped.

Over the next two weeks, we drew our weapons, beat up M16 rifles, and began practicing the odd drills required for a military funeral. Sergeant Dickinson was in charge of the firing detail, of which I was a member. I learned about carrying my rifle at “drill arms,” which meant holding it by the barrel while it hung down by my side. I learned the commands the sergeant would give while directing the squad. He once advised me to raise my rifle higher, since I was not shooting the audience. The M16 rifle operates on gas pressure, which causes one oddity of army life; the ubiquitous blank adapter, a bright orange attachment that plugs the muzzle of the rifle so that the blank cartridges build up enough pressure to cycle the action. With the blank adapter on, the firing commands were limited to “Aim, fire!” Somehow, it did not seem right that at this somber moment, the firing detail would be displaying an attachment that made their weapons look like toys. One of the ambulance drivers suggested, “Sergeant Dickinson, why don’t we get rid of the blank adapters, and you can just give the order ‘ready, aim, fire.’ That way we can work the charging handle, for the next round.” The sergeant agreed, and that is how we trained the rest of the week.

We finally got the order that a funeral would be held on Saturday. Ambulance platoon groaned in unison at the injustice. Someone asked who the person was that had died; one of the older veteran soldiers replied sarcastically, “Just some lifer,” referring to a person who had spent a career in the army.

On the appointed day and time, a bus came to pick up ambulance platoon for the funeral. The firing squad was dressed in ceremonial garb that included pistol belts with nothing on them, and soft hats. By the time we arrived at the cemetery, the family was seated, and the casket was just being put in place.
    The various members of the honor detail took their assigned places, while the family watched from their seats. In the middle of them an older woman, obviously the wife, was surrounded by her adult children, and other relatives. They were grieving, and wept openly. I was impressed by the solemnity of the moment, and began to realize that in the best way we could, we were helping the family through this time of loss.

The sergeant barked a command that brought us from parade rest to attention. The bugler played Taps, and we raised our rifles to fire three volleys, just as we had rehearsed. While the flag over the casket was being folded, Sergeant Dickinson picked up all the shell casings, and quickly polished them to be given to the family. The chaplain presented the flag to the widow, and then the funeral was over.

We marched back to the bus at drill arms, and then dispersed in little clusters while waiting for the driver to get ready. On the ride home to Ft. Lewis, ambulance platoon was quiet in recognition of the solemnity of the event. Finally, someone spoke up,” I guess we did pretty good, didn’t we?” "Yes," I answered, completely serious. "We did pretty good."

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Wayne. One of my cousins spent 31 1/2 years with the Savannah PD. He was in Juvenile for 18 years, and Robbery/Homicide for the last 13 1/2. He was a genuinely good guy, and a good detective. He knew all the trouble makers and the "gangs" of his day, and he could just about guess who'd done most murders, and who to look to first in robberies. Yet, he adopted one juvenile while with them, and when Juvy Hall was full, he often took the offending kid home with him until the court date. His adopted daughter is now a very successful adult, married to a good man with a nice family. Many of the juvy's he worked with will always remember him as what is today called a "mentor." When he was any at-risk kid on the street, he always smiled and said hello, and if he could, helped them in whatever way was needed at any given time.

He was good in robbery/homicide as well, and was a true friend to all the other good officers there. He was loved by most co-workers, and respected by all. He was always fair, and though he had to pull his gun quite a few times, he said he was always glad he'd never had to shoot anyone.

He was also a WWII vet, as well, in the European theater. He never talked about that part of his life. He was a simple man who led a simple life, and a life of service to any he encountered in need, even the "criminals" he had to arrest. He was always trying (not always successfully, but always trying nevertheless) to get anyone he nabbed to reconsider their ways and realize what a losing life plan they had. He DID make some converts, and likely, many took years to realize what he'd told them all along. Reformation just seems to often work that way.

He and his wife (my cousin) had very warm and winning personalities, and they started having "Pickin' parties" at their farm many years ago. At first, they were just simple country/bluegrass (heavy on the bluegrass) affairs with local folks being invited. They were asked to bring a covered dish, and he and his 2 boys usually BBQ'd some good pieces of meat. You'll never eat better than those get-togethers! Everyone laughed and sang and told funny stories, and it was about as close to another Eden as we're likely to see on this side of the grass. They began going on regular visits (sometimes 2 or 3x/yr.) to Nashville, and met a good many bluegrass recording artists. They bought many tapes and CD's, and got to know the performers over time. They told many of these performers about their humble "pickin' parties," and invited them down. And some of them actually came! No pay, just to be together with like-minded folks. Once they came to one, they came every year at least once, if they didn't have a gig at the time. You'll never hear better singing and performing and anything else that makes folks feel merry, than those pickin' parties!

When Charlie died, the Savannah PD honor guard, a group of 7 IIRC, performed at his funeral. I had to hustle, but I got to tell the leader how much it meant to me and others that they'd come so far to honor this very good man. He was extremely honorable in his comments, and thanked me, and just said he hoped it touched everyone like it had me.

Another cousin who spent well over 30 years with the Air Force, also had an honor guard at his funeral, but I couldn't keep up fast enough to tell them how much I appreciated their very professional conduct of the ceremony, and let them know how much Bob would have appreciated what they'd done for him. I think they knew, though. They were probably the MOST professional group I've ever seen perform the rites. I was very impressed, and it truly meant a lot to me, and I know to Bob.

So Wayne, please let me thank you and any others here who've been a part of an honor guard. What you guys have done is something some of the current existentialists wouldn't understand, but it'll always mean a great deal to those who knew the fallen subject of their performances. God bless each and every one of you. What you did truly matters, and it matters more than most will ever know, I think. Thanks, and God bless you all.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Thank you Wayne !
    No turning back , No turning back !

Years ago from 1974 1977 I was in the Army (I did go into the Navy and retired in 1999 but that is another tale, the reason I mention that is because of the anchor as my avatar, I spent my 17-20 years in the Army). and in 1976, I was on the funeral detail for KY, Ohio, and West VA while stationed at Fort Knox. Our squad had a lot of fun doing those and by that I mean we were young and full of Vinegar. But; when it was time to do our job and render respects to the fallen, we were spot on. There was a lot of pride in those young men, and when Taps played we folded the flag and we fired the volleys with tears streaming down our faces.

Boolit Master

I was assigned burial detail as a Sgt at Ft Bragg, NC during Desert Shield/Storm. We first watched Gardens of Stone, to get an idea of how a funeral detail should be performed since none of us on the detail had ever been on it before. We practiced and practiced but never had to perform an actual burial ceremony, but to a man knew we had to do our best if called upon. I did attend some funerals and always thought there could be no harder detail out there, then, much later, I was assigned duty as a Casual Assistance Officer (CAO) after we lost one of our helicopters at sea. I must say, that was one of the hardest things I've done, to date, and I salute those that have to do it currently. The CAO, then, were assigned regionally, so a CAO was assigned from Red Stone Arsenal in Huntsville, AL. because it was the closest base to the family. But our unit felt, rightly so, that someone who knew him should also be there, so I was sent as a Unit Liaison. My soldier was lost at sea, and never recovered, I still tear up just thinking about it. I was with the family during the search and rescue, all the way until he was declared lost at sea, then at the memorial service afterward. Since then, we've lost more, and I attended many a memorial service, but have refrained from going to an actual funeral unless they were well known to me. These memories will forever be engraved into my psyche, so when someone disrespects the flag, I always flash back to seeing the flag presented to the families of our fallen, and can not see it as anything but disrespect for them.

RIP Brother, NSDQ
    http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/articl.../606129855/TL/
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

These memories will forever be engraved into my psyche, so when someone disrespects the flag, I always flash back to seeing the flag presented to the families of our fallen, and can not see it as anything but disrespect for them.

RIP Brother, NSDQ
    http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/articl.../606129855/TL/[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more. Sometimes I see those tiny flags placed in yards and flowerpots that people forget about, and let them drag on the ground. There have been times when I have pulled them up and took them home to properly retire them.

Wayne

Boolit Master

A great read, Thanks for sharing with us.

Blackwater, I think sometimes we have these experiences when we are just too young to fully understand it. Sometimes too young can be forty; or fifty. I know I still have them, and I am north of sixty.

Wayne

Banned
    My eldest son died in a car crash in 2004. To be precise, 19 days after the crash after which he never regained consciousness. He was in the RAF and they did him the courtesy of a military funeral complete with firing party. To be honest, I was a complete wreck at the time but the memory of it is a great comfort to me. I have the Union Jack that was draped upon his coffin now folded in a display case with a photograph of him in his uniform. I miss him so.

Here's a thing. I hear people exclaim angrily about anyone who cannot remember dates of such events. I cannot. Not directly anyway. For me, he died this morning when I woke up, he will die again tonight when I go to sleep, and so it will go on.

Please accept my apologies for dropping that in your laps but the OP took me by surprise a little.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by UKShootist View Post
    My eldest son died in a car crash in 2004. To be precise, 19 days after the crash after which he never regained consciousness. He was in the RAF and they did him the courtesy of a military funeral complete with firing party. To be honest, I was a complete wreck at the time but the memory of it is a great comfort to me. I have the Union Jack that was draped upon his coffin now folded in a display case with a photograph of him in his uniform. I miss him so.

Here's a thing. I hear people exclaim angrily about anyone who cannot remember dates of such events. I cannot. Not directly anyway. For me, he died this morning when I woke up, he will die again tonight when I go to sleep, and so it will go on.

Please accept my apologies for dropping that in your laps but the OP took me by surprise a little.
    No apologies needed....thank you for sharing this with us.

Growing up in peacetime, my first Military funeral was for my Grandfather. He was a WWI,WW2 and Korea Vet. He was laid to rest in Arlington, the weekend of the Desert storm parade. As chaotic as it was, I was in awe at the dedication of these men. Everything was absolutely perfect. Ironically, as the casket was wheeled from the chapel, the Air Force was doing a "missing man formation " drill. One of the Guards said he thought he was Army. He was but it was perfect timing. My second honor guard service was for my Father in 2008. The Legion he was a member of traveled an hour to the National Cemetery to pay Honor...and that they did. That was the first time I saw the spent casings handed out. What a great remembrance. I made it a point to make a donation to the Legion in his honor and as a thanks for all of their hard work and training. His Grandchildren will never forget, nor will I.

Thank you all for your service and dedication.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by UKShootist View Post

Thanks for sharing a very emotional event. It is what keeps us human, and able to relate to each other. I am really sorry to hear about your son. I can't imagine losing one of my children.

Wayne

Boolit Mold
    Thank you WRideout for a very pleasant conclusion to a beautiful day in PA.

UKShootist... my sincerest condolences to you and your family. Thanks for sharing.

Boolit Master

We requested a military funeral for my dad. The funeral detail was outstanding in all respects. The volleys were perfect. They used M14's, and presented my mother with the brass.

I held up well until they played taps, and then I could hold the tears. I personally shook all the hands of the people in the detail and thanked them from the bottom of my heart.

God bless all the service people who give their time and effort to honor the fallen.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting