Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which lube sizer, and why????

IF you are lubing & sizing, the Star/Magma is the only way to go IMO.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Grand Master

I have a Lyman 450 and a Star and I've used the RCBS. The Lyman and RCBS can use the same dies and top punches but the Star dies are different, and more expensive. You can find them on EBay sometimes for a fair price. The linkage on the RCBS looks to be stronger than the Lyman but I've never thought that the Lyman was in danger of breaking. While more expensive, the Star is much faster that the other two. You probably should have kept the one that you had. Which is better? The Star is faster and probably stronger, and more expensive. They all work, and they all get the job done.

Boolit Master
    I've been using the Lyman 450 for 40 yrs. It's still in service, along with 2 others. I find them to be great machines.

Boolit Master
    I did break the 4500 twice sizing 44 cal water dropped bullets no more than .003" oversize, 3/2/95 alloy. A full load for the sizer but not excessive. The 1/4" crossbolts broke first and were never a problem after I replaced them with grade 8 bolts. The casting the handle pivots on was the next to break. Careless grinding at the factory had thinned the casting and the bolt pulled through. I made a replacement from 1/4" strap and it would still be working today except they are not fireproof.

Starting over I bought a Star. The dies are at most $17 more and I likely won't have to fix it. That's on top of a nose first, flow through design. Better quality sizing, faster.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master

Like the chevy vs ford debate.......the best one is the one you've already spent your money on.........simply because that's what you've got.

I've used Lyman 45s, 450s and 4500s I currently have three 450s. I've used the RCBS and a couple similar ones (Lachmiller & Ohaus ?) over the years and find little difference between them and the Lyman 450/4500s. I also have used Star's a couple times but while fast to use once set up they lack the versatility of the the others considering the multiple different cast bullets I cast. I also have an lubed (a PITA) and still also TL some bullets.

I prefer the Lyman 450/4500s simply because that's what I have used over the years.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    My first sizer was a Lyman 450 bought in the mid 1970's..has always had a lot of run-out between top punch & die. My older 45's are a lot closer in this respect. The best of all is a couple of No. 1's these have nearly perfect punch & die alignment. As others have posted, these older Lymans are none too stout. I only use the no.1's for .22 & 6mm..and then only after sizing first in a Corbin reloading-press type sizer.

Boolit Grand Master

Which lube sizer, and why????

Out of the three listed two of them are the best. I say two because there’s two different types listed. The Star is the overall best for speed but it’s not for everyone. Even w/ locknuts in every punch it takes longer to setup than the RCBS/Lyman design. Dies are double the price. You have a sized/lubed bullet for every pull of the handle.

Between the Lyman and RCBS the RCBS is the better of the two. It’s a more robust design that can handle heavy sizing duty. The Lyman linkage is prone to breaking. Dies are interchangeable and are very affordable. But this design takes a pull and a pull of the handle to give you a sized/lubed bullet.

Seating gas checks perfectly goes to the RCBS/Lyman design. It can be done on the Star but I’ve had issues w/ them no seating squarely every time. You can use the RCBS/Lyman to only seat gas checks if you want. You won’t be doing this w/ the Star.

If you use multiple lubes the advantage when it comes to cost goes to the RCBS/Lyman. You can have three of them for every Star. If you only use one lube then this doesn’t matter at all.

Because everyone has different needs there is no one best. I own a few LAM1s and a couple Stars. They each have their purpose.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post

You can use the RCBS/Lyman to only seat gas checks if you want. You won’t be doing this w/ the Star.

I always seat gas checks with my Star, before oven heat treating my rifle bullets. If you don't want lube, just short stroke, so as not to activate the lube pump.

Winelover

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    Would the heater on the 450 work with the RCBS?????
    If it is a universal heater It will work. Because that is what I got on my Lyman 450 and the paper work say it will work on both.It have different hole set up for the different ones.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

I have 4 45's and 1 450. Don't use lube that needs heat and have NEVER broken one.

Bens red is great does all I need in smokeless. I use 50/50 lard beeswax for BP and it needs no heat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12