Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: accurate #9 too quick?

Boolit Bub

accurate #9 too quick?

I have been loading my 8 Kurz with IMR 4227, A 1680 and W680 with good results. A fellow recently gave me 19 pounds of Accurate #9. I'm thinking it might be too quick for that caliber but did load 5 rounds with 15 grains. I shot them and recoil was mild, the primers looked ok and cases look normal. Forgot my chrono that day so no velocity results. Thinking I will try 16 gr. and see what I get.
    Wondering what you guys might think. Am I asking for trouble shooting that quicker powder? I found one Accurate #9 load for .30 carbine but everything I see is pistol caliber loads.
    Pete in St. Louis

Boolit Master

According to my Burn Chart its a little slower than 2400. My powder notes says it was designed for 44 Mag and .410 shot shells. I don't have 1680 or W680 on my chart. I would find a useable load if someone gave me 19 pounds. You all ready rolled the dice at 15g and it was safe. Do a ladder test and go up slowly till it leads or pressures blow the groups. I use 2400 in my Grendel.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

I believe Accurate No. 9 was originally made for 30 Carbine.

Boolit Buddy
    No 9 is really for magnum rounds but it does work well in 300 Blackout too if you have one of those uppers. If you dont ..... you should get one

Boolit Master

I use AA#9 in my 44 magnums.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

I've never heard of this powder used in a bottle neck case before. I use it in 44 Mag and 357 Mag. I would think the shoulder is so minuscule on the 300 BO that is would work there...but the 8 Kurtz....maybe not...it has more of a shoulder.

I'm sure there are other powders that would be better than the AA#9 for that round.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Moderator Emeritus

I shoot about 15-16 grains in a 30-30 with 150-175 gr boolits. Load came from a national magazine and surprised me as I considered it a straight wall pistol powder. It is my go to 30-30 load.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the replies guys! I had not thought about the straight wall versus bottleneck difference. I'm looking forward to remembering to bring my chrono next range visit to see what kind of velocity I'm getting. MT Gianni's 30/30 experience is interesting as I have never seen any info. re powder use for straight cases versus bottleneck. A local fellow said that he thinks the quicker powder may never give me the velocity of a slower one due to its pressure peak occurring too early in the boolits travel down the barrel. I could always sell off the #9 and buy more of what I've been using. But if a workable load is possible I'm good with powder for my Kurz for quite a while.
    Pete

Boolit Bub
    Wondering if the velocity of those 150-175 gr. ctg. loaded with #9 are comparable to what you would get with powders normally recommended for 30-30.
    Pete

Boolit Master

Dig back a few years and look for data/information based on WC820 (N).

That might provide some useful information.
    I would suggest that it is worthless, that you should ship all 19 lbs of it to me, but some here may think I have an ulterior motive with that suggestion.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 06-18-2018 at 12:05 AM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

Thought the problem with bottle necks was when trying to do super light loads and causing shoulder set back from low pressures. As long as your not loading mouse fart loads you wont have any problems. Then again, as long as you full case resize, then you would never notice any problems at all.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Banned

aa9 like 110 likes pressure to burn properly. Its not a great powder for lower pressure use. Great powder for any mag pistols and rounds like the 10mm, 50 beo and the 22 hornet. It is one of my used powders.

Boolit Master

Widely used in .30-30 for cast bullets in the decade or so when it was cheap. People that used 820 started loading with AA9 data.

Here is some data from a departed former member with a good write up on 820:
    http://www.castbullet.com/reload/wc820.htm
    Last edited by jaysouth; 06-15-2018 at 10:53 AM.

I'm A Honcho!
    18.5 AA9 is close to a MOA load in 308 with a 180 Ranchdog Shortneck Flatpoint grain NOE Cast Boolit.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jaysouth View Post
    Widely used in .30-30 for cast bullets in the decade or was 820 when it was cheap. People that used 820 started loading with AA9 data.

Here is some data from a departed former member with a good write up on 820:
    http://www.castbullet.com/reload/wc820.htm
    Thanks for that link. Junior was a good, down to earth fellow that I regret that I never had the opportunity to meet. I've also got 16 lbs, minus a little, of the same powder that I've had for several years. If I ever get the Ruger Single Seven sorted out, I'm going to get the wc820 out and try to develop a good load.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Bub
    Interesting re the 820. I've been using loads I worked up with it for the 8 Kurz, Good to hear it is same as Accurate #9. I find it knob Creek fairly often. Just 1 jug here or there.
    Pete

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    Dig back a few years and look for data/information based on WC820 (N).

That might provide some useful information.
    I would suggest that it is worthless that you should ship 19 lbs of it to me, but some here may think I have an ulterior motive with that suggestion.
    Oh, perish the thought! AA-9 is VERY close to many lots of surplus WC-820 in burn speed and pressure yield, IME. My experience has only been in straight-walled revolver calibers like 30 Carbine, 32/20 WCF/high-pressure rifle, 357/41/44 Magnum. In those niches, it is GREAT FUEL. i shoot A LOT of 357 Magnum ammo, so a 19# lot of AA-9 would be manna from heaven as far as my rifle and revolvers are concerned.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Is your 8mm kurz the same as the 7.92 x 33 kurz?

What bullet are you using?

Boolit Bub
    Same thing, Sturmgewehr rounds.
    I have Hornady as well as Privi jacketed bullets 125 (123?) grain. Last couple years been mostly shooting linotype cast in a NEI Handtools mold that replicates the original German WW2 boolits shape. I HiTech coat and gas check them size to 324. they end up around 128 gr. but the rifle does not seem to care.
    Pete

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    Oh, perish the thought! AA-9 is VERY close to many lots of surplus WC-820 in burn speed and pressure yield, IME. My experience has only been in straight-walled revolver calibers like 30 Carbine, 32/20 WCF/high-pressure rifle, 357/41/44 Magnum. In those niches, it is GREAT FUEL. i shoot A LOT of 357 Magnum ammo, so a 19# lot of AA-9 would be manna from heaven as far as my rifle and revolvers are concerned.
    I've picked up a fair amount of the WC820 and knowing it is pulldown .30 Carbine powder and several powders listed for .30 Carbine are same as listed for 8Kurz I have shot a bunch of it in Kurz. Convoluted thinking perhaps but it has been doing just fine. I'm tending to think the #9 is likely to be OK too.
    Pete
    Last edited by shortfal; 06-15-2018 at 09:50 PM. Reason: text

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast