Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Smith globe sight, Marlin 1895CB. Height?

Smith globe sight, Marlin 1895CB. Height?

Picked up a Smith enterprises Globe sight with spirit level.

Going to run it on my marlin 1895cb. The marlins original sight is .502 from the bottom of the dovetail to the top of the bead. Now the smiths height is .590, quite a bit of difference between the two. The spirit level is overkill, but looks unique.
    However I am running a williams receiver sight with target knobs using a long target knob for the elevation. So I have plenty of adjustment at the rear to go higher.

Was going to go with a lyman ahb at .404 but this smith was a better deal and works with the standard pedersoli and sharps sight discs.

What issues might I run into with the height of the front sight? Keep in mind I mainly use this rifle for silhouette shoots out to 200 yards, 300grn boolit at about 1100fps.
    Other than adjusting up on my settings anything bad on this?
    Attachment 232949
    Attachment 232950

OK the only issue you might have is too little elevation adjustment for your load which is going to be pretty much a Rainbow.

I use a RCBS .45-300FNGC and worked my way (based on the recoil I could tolerate for 40+ shots) up to 33 gr of 5744 for about 1550 fps from my 26" barrel. This speed yielded a usable trajectory for this game, and for that matter hunting if called on to do that. 1100fps is simply too slow to accomplish anything with that gun. You can take more recoil so bump it up at little and a decent recoil pad is a good idea. Limbsaver has a really good slip on pad that works great and is cheap and doesn't require any fitting or mods to the gun. $20 at Walmart..

My gun has an XS Whiteline Front Sight and a Lyman 66LA Receiver Sight.. With the gun sighted dead on a 150 yards it is 3" high at 100 and 12" low at 200 which requires a 6MOA Elevation correction to be dead on.

I highly recommend you find a Steel Lyman 66 LA on Ebay and install it on your gun. The reason is that once dialed in the Lyman Sight will easily repeat it's zero and elevation offsets and they can be written down for future use. Once I sighted my gun in 3 years ago I have shot probably 15 Cowboy Silhouette shoots and made predictable Elevation changes when going form the Turkeys to the Rams and then back and never having to worry if I lost the original zero. The Lyman Sights Repeat perfectly and the Williams Sights do not, and that's why mine has the Lyman now.

Being able to predictably dial in 6 MOA and have it actually be 6 MOA! and then pushing a small button and lowering the sight back to it's "Mechanical Zero" with a stop is why these sights are superior.

The other reason is purely aesthetic. Your Front Sight is just a better quality piece of kit than the rear sight, and the Lyman would be its equal.

Randy.
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 01-02-2019 at 08:32 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com