MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxPBcastcoWideners
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger American Rimfire or Savage Mark II. Opinions?

Boolit Master

Ruger American Rimfire or Savage Mark II. Opinions?

Hi guys!

After years of casting, reloading, and shooting all things centerfire, I am rediscovering the joys of the .22 LR at 52 years of age.

What are your opinions of these two rifles? I am seeing them for right around $300 or less at several LGS's and Box stores like Dick's. I am seriously thinking about picking one up, and was wondering if one had a better record than the other, particularly accuracy wise. I'm really looking for opinions based on experience shooting them. If you own one or the other, how does it shoot? Is there a preference for one over the other?

I don't expect a Cooper for these prices, but I would want a good shooter.

Opinions please?

I have a couple of Savage, but have never fired the Ruger America. I like the AccuTrigger that is on the Savage and the rifles that I have are quite accurate. I am not a fan of the magazine, but I can ‘live with it’ when I go to use them.

While you didn’t ask, I have a couple of Rugers in 77/22 and 10/22. I had the trigger worked on the 77/22 and it is as accurate as any of my Savages. The 10/22 is a rifle that I just love to shoot. I have had trigger work or replacement parts done to make the trigger lighter. If you start looking at 10/22s you can find just about every replacement part that you would ever want.

Boolit Master
    A 'rimfire' friend of mine has the Ruger American and says its the most accurate rimfire he's ever shot - and at a very reasonable price on top of it.

I bought his Savage MkII FV-SR (irony there); while its a good shooter, it really lends itself well to extensive customization - there are a lot of options for this platform.
    Heavy Boyds laminate bench stock, that sort of thing. (The base model plastic stock is horrible.)
    I really like mine because it has the heavy bull bbl, threaded for a suppressor; that sort of thing.

So perhaps it comes down to if you want an unmodified 'sporter' or enjoy the customization angle?

Boolit Master

Thanks guys!

I do have a 10/22, the second gun I ever owned and the first one I ever bought myself, at the tender age of 16.

I guess I'm not looking for a project, just an out of the box shooter.

What are reasonable 50 yard group expectations for these rifles?

Boolit Master

I have the Savage with heavy barrel and laminate stock. It has a cheap scope. Groups with CCI std. Velocity are 5/8 inch at 50 yards. The best I can get with my CZ 452 is 1/2 inch.

Don't know about either rifle, I have a Ruger 77/22 that is almost as accurate as my Kimber 82. By far better looking too. Simplest fix is just change the sear to an aftermarket sear. Drops the pull by about 2/3 and makes it much smoother. If the Ruger American shoots anywhere as nice as the 77/22, you will be pleased. I have competed in 100 yard egg shoots and have been competitive, if that is any measure of accuracy.

Boolit Master
    A couple weeks ago I sighted in my Savage MkII FV-SR for summer pest duty. Here's how it ended up at 60 yds:

CCI Stingers @1525 fps,

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I have a ruger American in 22 wmr. Picked it up last December at cabelas in the all black 22" version discontinued for $199.00. I polished the trigger and removed a couple coils from the spring taking the trigger down to about a pound. It shoots .3" groups a at a 100 yards with hornady vmax that I can cover with a dime and .7" groups at a 100 yards with Winchester 30gr tips. It's way more accurate than my CZ 452 ultralux which shoots .5" with most ammo at 50 yards. I'd tell you not to overlook the American in 22 wmr. It's a fun little rifle to shoot and has way more knock down power than a regular old .22. I had a few squirrels crawl off with my .22 and switched to the wmr which is destructive! I took a couple I'd squirrel and rabbit heads clean off. Ammo prices aren't that bad either. The 2200fps hornady loads are $10 for 50.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 06-13-2018 at 05:14 PM.

Boolit Master
    I also have the Ruger American Rimfire, in 22WMR. It looks good, handles well with a great trigger. And it is accurate with Federal 30 gr JHP. Ruger/Savage are both great guns, but I give Ruger my choice.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick L View Post
    Hi guys!

After years of casting, reloading, and shooting all things centerfire, I am rediscovering the joys of the .22 LR at 52 years of age.

What are your opinions of these two rifles? I am seeing them for right around $300 or less at several LGS's and Box stores like Dick's. I am seriously thinking about picking one up, and was wondering if one had a better record than the other, particularly accuracy wise. I'm really looking for opinions based on experience shooting them. If you own one or the other, how does it shoot? Is there a preference for one over the other?

I don't expect a Cooper for these prices, but I would want a good shooter.

Opinions please?
    The Savage Mark II TR is excellent value for money. Great trigger. $30 worth of stiff bottom metal and aluminum pillar to allow solid torquing down of the action will deliver consistent sub-MOA 5 shot groups with the right ammo. And that need not be Eley Match etc. Mine does very well with CCI Green Tag but shines with Federal HV Match.

If the idea is to use the .22 to hone and improve your skills, the Savage Mk II TR is tremendous value for money.

Attached is a recent 10 shot group at 50 yards with CCI Green Tag SV at 5/8”, with a pullClick image for larger version. 

Name:	91AC1D3A-6FF5-4452-8E24-CDBE851B74E6.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	222068
    Last edited by RPRNY; 06-13-2018 at 07:00 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have a newer model Savage, a B22 FVSR in 22 LR. Much better stock over the MarkII, coned breech, feeds from rotary mag, picatinny optic rail, threaded muzzle, accutrigger, bull barrel. I added an Apachee trigger kit. It shoots less than half inch at 25 and 50 yards with CCI SV or Aguila SV. MiniMags are pretty good. Even Automatch is acceptable. Likes a clean chamber.

Boolit Master

Bumping up, still looking for more experienced feedback.

Real world prices in my area are about $310 for Ruger, $270 or so for Savage.

The Ruger does feel just a bit more substantial, but those groups that previous posters showed pictures of are something else!

A good mate of mine recently got the RAR compact stainless in .17HMR.

Initial impression were very good.

However....

First time out we had numerous fail to fire and fail to extract malfunctions.

Examination of the bolt revealed that the RAR only has one extractor claw - the circlip spring that drives that extractor has an extension where the other extractor SHOULD be, that acts as a helper spring to push the case against the extractor.

It wasn't doing that.

In act the entire spring was very weak and doing next to nothing.

I pulled the bolt down and fiddled a bit and we got it going. The FTF issues appeared to stem mainly from old ammo. It shot OK, around MOA at 100y.

I don't know WHY Ruger chose two go with this design - just about every other bolt action rimfire has two proper extractor claws.

It's a shame because otherwise, it's a nice rifle for the dollars.

His MkII Savage heavy barrel has been really good. Sits in a Boyd's thumbhole he fitted after growing to hate the synthetic stock.

There are two Savage rimfires in this house - both the heavy barrel stainless thumbhole BTVS. My .17HMR and my son's .22LR.

Apart from some magazine issues with the .17HMR, which seem common, neither has missed a beat. The .17 will shoot comfortably under MOA. The .22 we haven't shot a lot of paper with and only used two or three HVHP varieties of ammo and at 50y it will shoot around .6

I really like the RAR range of guns, but that single extractor claw design and the issues my friend has had, have given me pause.

The synthetic stock design on the Savage MkII is a horrible, flexy, low combed thing - if I was looking at a MkII I would go with one of the more up market laminate stocks or the TR.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    My RAR 22 wmr had burrs all over the bolt group when I first bought it. I had a few FTF with Winchester 33 gr 2250 fps ammo. I polished the bolt group removing all the burrs and took it apart removing the factory grease. I found a little chunk of metal inside the bolt group about the the size of a broke piece if pencil lead inside by the firing pin area. It's shot flawless ever since.

Boolit Master

imo for a low/mid priced 22lr, either a savage or a CZ. just me, but over the last 5 or 6 years, ive come to the point i wouldnt touch anything ruger shoves out the door.

Boolit Master
    I bought a Savage B22 FVSR about a year ago and am very happy with it. Heavy free float threaded barrel, coned breech, rotary mag, Accutrigger with Apachee trigger kit(17 oz pull), pic rail, and lightweight. Only thing better is my CZ455. It was about a hundred more cost wise, but you will see where it went. I take very good care of my guns, but I worry much less taking my Savage out. The finish is tougher and the polymer stock takes a beating.

I have both 10/22 & 77/22 bought when they first hit the market. The 77/22 will shoot 1/2" at
    40yds with ST hi vel ammo. I don't like the new Ruger Amricans or Savages. My SIL has the Ruger
    and it shoots as good as my 77/22. My nephew bought the Savage, because it was heavy barrel
    and threaded. It shoots as well but not better than the Ruger. The action on the Savage is not as
    smooth as the Ruger and has some issues with feed and extraction. Both of them are equally ugly
    but accuracy wise they are the same. We run 4x scopes and sight in at 40yds for squirrel hunting
    and the rifles are judged on this basis. My 77/22 holds its own against Rem 541s and Win 52s
    remakes. Myself I would rather spend the money on a older Win or Rem BA. I have a couple dozen
    22 rifles that were just run of the mill guns in their day that will shoot 1/2" at 40yds or they wouldn't be in my rack.

Banned

Hands down for me, the heavy barrel Savage Mark II FV, here with a Boyd's stock and good glass. Excellent trigger, killer tack driver, great quality for a cheap price tag.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03354.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	222978

... or not ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00653.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	15.9 KB 
ID:	222979
    Last edited by rfd; 07-01-2018 at 05:25 PM.

Banned
    I have both and my nod is with the Ruger. Can't go wrong either way

Boolit Master

Well, I went with the Ruger. It just seems a bit more substantial. Plus, a range buddy so likes his in .22 magnum, he said if I wasn't happy with the LR he'd buy it from me.

I got it yesterday, hope to shoot it this morning. I'll keep you posted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast