Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 45acp

Boolit Buddy

45acp

I'm in the market for a reliable semiauto in 45acp. Something that is not picky about shooting jacket or cast. I don't have a lot of experience with the 45acp other then a few hundred rounds through my S&W 4566. It's a great gun but It's kinda heavy and don't fit my hand real well so I'm looking for something lighter but don't have to be smaller. There are so many. Just looking for options and comments on what others are using.

Boolit Master
    My vote is for the Ruger LW Commander with stainless slide. Mine has a good enough trigger and with the titanium firing pin it does not need any of the firing pin safeties some other manufacturers use. Mine likes factory RN and HPs as well as hand loaded plated or hand cast projectiles. It handled cast SWC boolits (HG 68) just fine out of the box. Nice and light in a belt slide holster, too. GF

Boolit Master

one more vote for Ruger SR1911 have one in 9mm one in 45acp no issues with either one
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

I have a Springfield XD with a 3.3 inch barrel, it's my daily carry. Has been reliable with cast powder coated 230 grain lee boolits along with factory ammo. I'm happy with it.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Moderator Emeritus

I'm a Kimber guy......but have shot a few of the Springfield's like 'em all as long as they are a 1911 platform!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Bub
    I have the Springfield L.W. Commander Range Officer and it eat's my wheel weight 230gr. cast plus anything else I can stuff in it. Can honestly say no failure to feed. Mine does have the bull barrel,don't know if it makes much difference though.

Boolit Master

Been very pleased with my rock island full sized. More accurate than I am, but loose enough to not be picky. Have ran everything from 200 rf and hg68 to Keith style 255 swc.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Both of my Rugers, the 5" SR1911 & the shorter 4.25" CMD model, are first rate in all respects. My background is primarily with Colts, over a dozen in the last 50+ years, most of them tweaked with extra gunsmithing work on triggers or lock up and these two Rugers are at least equal. Accuracy runs less than 2.5" at 25 yds for all loads, factory and handloads average! from a rest.

As carry guns, they're too heavy for me now...as I'm 72 now...but for that use, I'd have no hesitation recommending Ruger's alloy frame version, especially the "Commander" length one in .45 ACP.

Ruger's good about warranty work too, so if there is a problem, you've got back up.

Another good choice for carry would be either of Sig's 1911s...the C3 model or its predecessor, the RCS. Both sport the shortened grip length (by 1/4") of Colt's Officer's Model, and also with 4" barrels (about as short as I'd recommend for good reliability and ease of slide manipulation). I have the RCS model and carry it daily in an OWB holster of the Bianchi Askins Avenger type. It's the ideal carry piece in my opinion, and that heavy .45 caliber bullet needs no expansion to do its work.

HTH's Rod

Boolit Master
    I second the rock island any size.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

If you are looking for a 1911, check out Dan Wesson's. Alternatively, FN's FNX is a nice .45. I am also partial to S&W 25 or 625 line of revolvers. I would jus go to a decent shop and handle the various offerings in.45 just to see what fits your hand best. YMMV

Boolit Grand Master
    SIG-Sauer P-220 offers LW Commander size & weight, great ergonomics, and extreme reliability. It is my default setting in 45 ACP.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Being the Devil's Advocate here, do not sell short REVOLVERS chambered for the .45 ACP cartridge. For field use the Ruger NM Blackhawk convertible with 4-5/8" barrel is as good as it gets. If you preference leans towards personal defense or IDPA, an S&W 625 has merit. The M1911 is not the only viable .45 ACP platform. Heck, I have't owned one for years.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    You can’t go wrong with a revolver!!!!!! They will eat just about anything you stuff in the Cyl. I am lookiing for a good (!) deal on a 45ACP revolver right now.

Not so with 45ACP semi’s. The 3 I have experience with are very picky about OAL, nose shape, load, just about everything has to be perfect or failure to chamber/load/fire/cycle.

I rarely shot my 1911’s any more. Not reliable and just too darned picky with cast. They load & shoot that cursed expensive FMJ stuff just fine.

Do your researcy B4 plunking down a ton of money! And do not ignore 45LC revolvers!!!!!!! My favorite. And LOTS of powder room in that big case!!

Banger
    Last edited by bangerjim; 06-13-2018 at 01:27 PM.

Boolit Master
    I wouldn’t suggest a revolver for 45acp, there are far better cartridges once you’ve decided wheel gun.

Then you need to decide 1911 or not.

If 1911, Dan Wesson is a great choice. Very well made and good value.

If not, can’t fault a Sig P-220.

My only 45acp experience so far has been with full size 1911 pistols. I own four of them.
    Two of them will eat anything I can put in the magazine and shoot it well besides.
    The first is a Springfield Armory Mil Spec. The second is a Sig nickel rail tactical.
    Both of these have been flawless for me. The Springfield needed a little trigger work out of the box but otherwise no changes. The Sig had a great trigger out of the box and hasn't fumbled at all.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by backhoe View Post
    I have the Springfield L.W. Commander Range Officer and it eat's my wheel weight 230gr. cast plus anything else I can stuff in it. Can honestly say no failure to feed. Mine does have the bull barrel,don't know if it makes much difference though.
    This is exactly my experience with the same gun.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Handle all the .45 ACP handguns you can, then choose. The cartridge will not disappoint.

We have a Tanfoglio Witness 45 metal frame with 4.5" barrel, XD Mod2 45acp with 4" barrel and have fired a friends Tanfoglio Witness 45acp metal Compact and another Taurus 1911. I prefer the Witness. Would like to try a M&P Shield 45acp.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have been rolling around the idea of a 45 ACP/AR wheelgun for a while. The manner in which the Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt/45 ACP convertibles handle the casing question--by saving the owner the trouble of choosing between clips and Auto Rim for cartridge management and extraction--is an easy one. Just use 45 ACP ammo as found. It doesn't get much simpler than that.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy
    I plan to stick with a light weight semi auto. I do love them but it's not going to be a revolver for this one. Plenty of 1911 fans for sure. I have been looking at a few polymer framed guns. I really like the feel of
    some of them but never shot one in 45.
    Last edited by jules; 06-13-2018 at 07:47 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast