Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 45acp

Boolit Master

I have several rock islands takes anything I have loaded , shoots good , no complaints and watch for specials as they are best buy for the dollar I have seen in awhile . If it is polymer I have a pair of the 45gap model 37 , kind of like them , odd caliber out , only 10 rounds ,same grip size as the model 17 & 22 . More of a reloaders gun then most as it is not widely available in stores .

Boolit Buddy
    I have been looking at a few. G21, PPQ45, M&P45, H&K45c, Ruger SR45 and Ruger American. I really like the trigger on the PPQ but none of them are what I would call bad. All the 1911s are very nice but they are not for me.

Banned

having owned a gaggle of 1911s, including ruger and remington, the springfield armory mil spec stopped my search ... and it's a 70's series, too. everyone should have at least one full size real 1911 in its real deal .45acp chambering. but for ccw i wanna check out the sa xds mod2.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    SIG-Sauer P-220 offers LW Commander size & weight, great ergonomics, and extreme reliability. It is my default setting in 45 ACP.
    I second that emotion, my experience is that they are superlative. I've had mine for 25 years now with over 5,000 rounds down range.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Don't leave out the Hi-point

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I shoot a Remington R1 and love the good old GI looks.also have a Hipoint 45cal and to my surprise it shoots darn good.

Banned

Have a couple XDs for carry
    Full size XDM
    Next, full size Ruger American

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    Take a look at the S&W M&P in .45 ACP. I have a Gen I Compact version and have shot a fair amount of cast out of it with zero problems. I did install an Apex sear in the gun, because the trigger was atrocious. Other than that, it's box-stock.
    Absolutely agree with this. The M&P 45 compact is the same size as the Glock 19, comes with 8 round mags, and optional extended 10 and 14 round mags, hella aftermarket support. A full apex kit will be cheaper than a trigger job on 1911 too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I looked at plenty. In the end I picked the PPQ. Feels great in my hand. Hopefully it will like PC cast.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG0013.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	222238

Boolit Master
    My PPQ 45 does great with Hi-Tek coated cast, as always bullet fit to the bore is king.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    having owned a gaggle of 1911s, including ruger and remington, the springfield armory mil spec stopped my search ... and it's a 70's series, too. everyone should have at least one full size real 1911 in its real deal .45acp chambering. but for ccw i wanna check out the sa xds mod2.
    I agree about the Mil Spec Springfield. I have had many years now and it still makes me smile when I shoot it. Other folks who have shot it have offered to buy it from me - no lie. They are great guns. I just broke mine down yesterday and scrubbed it all out. Cleaned up and greased/oiled and ready to go.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jules View Post
    I looked at plenty. In the end I picked the PPQ. Feels great in my hand. Hopefully it will like PC cast.
    Nice choice. My final three (HK, Springfield, Walther) was a really tough decision. The Walther trigger was really nice.

Al's comment on the Ruger Convertible 45Colt/45acp is a very good suggestion. I love mine and shoot more 45acp through it then 45Colt. If you go this route one word of caution. Use, initially , once fired or new 45acp cases and keep them separate from any other 45acp cases you might have, A burr on the case rim will leave you dead in your tracks using 45acp cases in the Ruger.

One other gun I know is widely commented on is the PPQ in 45acp. I don't have one yet but will. Thr Krauts know how to put a pistol together and the Walther PPQ series are about as good a striker fired pistol as you can buy. I have two in 9MM and they redefine tack driving off a bench. The 45acp version is reported to be as accurate as the 9MM guns.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Buddy
    Just doing a little reloading for the new PPQ. I have to seat the Lee 230gr TC powder coated boolits to 1.175 COL for them to fully chamber. Maybe the PC is too thick? I didn't try any before coating them. I guess this is common for cast.
    Last edited by jules; 06-17-2018 at 02:11 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I seat all of the Lee TC bullet forms with about .020" of the front drive band exposed, then set a light taper crimp. This regimen has worked with all calibers I load using the Lee TC bullet designs in autopistols.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy

46 acp

Second on 220 Sig. Have a West German one and a Scorpion Model. Never a jam and scary accurate.

Regards
    Art

Boolit Master
    Shot a Glock 21 years ago at a time when I was shooting lots of .45 through a 1911. I was impressed with the Glock. It seemed very pleasant to shoot, like the polymer frame was soaking up the recoil impulse. I have a Glock 36 and like it very much for carry. Take a look at the S&W M&P 2.0 as well. https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...night-sight-le
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 06-19-2018 at 02:19 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Don't leave out the Hi-point

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    A part of me wants to see how long one would stand up to 45 Super loads (remotely fired)...

Banned

if ccw isn't a concern, any reputable full size 1911 would be the way to go. however, being able to digest hard ball, cast round and swc, hollow points, and whatever else - that might be an issue. had that problem with both remington and ruger 1911's and no amount of gunsmithing would help. sometimes it's just the uniqueness of a specific gun and not the manufacturer. sometimes it just pays to be lucky as there will always be some amount of gamble when gun buying. i also no longer bother casting for handgun bullets and prefer to buy hi-tecs - should have done that years ago, makes everything so much easier.

Boolit Buddy
    Howdy!

I own a few 1911s, all in the holy 45ACP. My first 1911 is a mutt that eventually ended up with an 80 series Gold Cup upper on a Federal Ordinance lower. The next one I purchased was a used Springfield Compact, then a full Colt that before me it was sent to Wilson Combat for "accurizing", have built four "truck guns" with old Colt 70 series uppers on various maker lowers, have a newer Colt Gold Cup and last year bought a new to me (used) Les Baer Premier II.

These guns will eat anything I feed them. I primarily shoot 185/200 SWCs for fun and Federal HST HP's for carry. Run Tripp Cobra 8-round magazines in everything but the Compact.

All but the Les Baer have had work done. For example, the 70 series Colt slide ejection ports are opened up and flared, the barrels/frames are ramped, barrels are throated, the barrel bushing and the barrel is fitted, trigger work till the pull is 4 1/2 - 5 pounds, etc. I am blessed to have a local 1911 gunsmith. He works on other guns but he gets all shinny eyed and happy when we start talking 1911s.

Pretty much any 1911 can be made to run. The shorter the barrel the more problems you can run into.

Two of these guns have less than $400 in. That includes gunsmithing. At some point I'll have them hard chromed by Ron Mahovsky which will cost $155 plus shipping.

Polishing the steel feed ramp with Flitz and a Dremel tool will do a world of good.

Make sure you get good magazines. They can make or break a 1911.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1911s.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	222375

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123