RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 45acp

Boolit Master

As the responses indicate, lots of 45 acp pistol options out there. If the OP has friends that own 45 pistols, then going shooting with them would be a good starting point. Also a lot of gun ranges now rent pistols. You'll probably have to buy their ammo to use them. Range I go to rents them for $5.00. Box of S&B 45 acp is $15 m/l. So for $35 you can shoot 4 different pistols 12 rounds each.
    Way cheaper than dropping $400 to $600 on a pistol and then finding out it isn't right for you. Only way to tell if a pistol fits & shoots well for you is to shoot it.

Boolit Master
    I have been happy with the Walther PPQ 45, very accurate and handles jacketed and Hi-Tek coated cast bullets with no problems.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    My only 45acp experience so far has been with full size 1911 pistols. I own four of them.
    Two of them will eat anything I can put in the magazine and shoot it well besides.
    The first is a Springfield Armory Mil Spec. The second is a Sig nickel rail tactical.
    Both of these have been flawless for me. The Springfield needed a little trigger work out of the box but otherwise no changes. The Sig had a great trigger out of the box and hasn't fumbled at all.
    It would help readers know what to avoid if you identified the other two.
    Curious minds want to know. etc. etc.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

I am certain that with a little investment of time you will find one you like. There are lots of makes and models out there to choose from but as you can see you've already started eliminating many like revolvers and all metal framed guns. Now go start shooting as many as possible it's the only way.

I am a die hard revolver person, however I have recently bought and traded into a pair of Rock Island compact 1911's. I am VERY impressed with the quality and accuracy with boolits. The sights are small but there are many options available. Price, even new, is very good and triggers are also quire good out of the box.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master
    I like my SIG 1911 tough as they come
    accidentally rolled over it with my tractor
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Most of the full size 1911's are a quality product. What's your budget? I saw some Rock Islands for $399 last weekend while the custom makers go for $2,000 to $3,000 or more. There are tons of good options in the $600 to $800 range, or something like a Colt Gold Cup National Match can be had around $1,100.

I've never had any problems finding an OAL for my 1911's and I've even used a couple 45 Colt SWC bullets with success.

Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    It would help readers know what to avoid if you identified the other two.
    Curious minds want to know. etc. etc.
    The other two have match grade barrels with tight chambers designed for specific bullets. Not the fault of the gun. They could easily be throated so they would work with anything. I just don’t need to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    I like my SIG 1911 tough as they come
    accidentally rolled over it with my tractor
    I'm glad it wasn't on your belt when the tractor rolled over it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

One option for bigger hands is Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact PRO. Good reliability. Good accuracy Fast follow up shots ( my standards ) Won't break the bank either. I guess I am a cheapskate. I own a stainless Bersa Thunder 22. (since 1982), a Sccy 9mm that is a hoot to shoot and a new Hi-Point 4595 carbine 45acp. I am thinking pigs at the feeder at 25 yards.

My personal favorite polymer 45 Auto is a Ruger P97. Very accurate, very dependable, and tough as a brick. My daughter has a Glock 21 that fits the same description. These are the only two I have experience with.

Quote Originally Posted by jules View Post
    I plan to stick with a light weight semi auto. I do love them but it's not going to be a revolver for this one. Plenty of 1911 fans for sure. I have been looking at a few polymer framed guns. I really like the feel of
    some of them but never shot one in 45.
    Hi OP,why not try a Glock 21? I have one,i shoot only powder coated cast bullets through it without leading issues. It feeds rn,swc and tc bullets fine. I read alot of online griping about the grip size,i find it fits just right. My 110lb. sister in law loves shooting it and has no issues with the grip size. It’s my favorite semi auto,try one,you’ll be pleasantly surprised.
    ​Je suis Charlie

Boolit Master
    When I wanted one I went out and tried a bunch. I've had three Colts and fired numerous other 1911's. My wife's current gun is a Colt LW Commander.

I wish my hands liked Glocks, I really do. But, the double stacks feel like a 1x2 in my hand.

I ended up with a Springfield XD that I liked the feel of, but, the full size was too big. A few years later and all of the mfg have improved their triggers a LOT, even Glock. So, when I wanted a 9mm the same size as the wife's Commander I went out looking again. This time it was really a tough choice. HK, FN, Sig, Walther, Springfield were all really nice. It was a really tough choice. In the end the HK VP9 was it for me (but, they don't make it in .45).

The message is you have a ton of choices and none of them are really wrong. But, you need to at least hold one and try the trigger before buying. The grips are all just a little bit different and all have a slightly different feel to the trigger.

FYI, if you want light weight look at the single stack models. The extra rounds in double stack mags make a lot of difference in weight.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Groo here
    Most modern 1911's will eat many things unlike the original ones.
    Find one you like at the GS and go from there.
    Ps, If you find one with a ramped barrel [ the feed ramp attached to the barrel not on the frame]
    so much the better,,

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jules View Post
    I plan to stick with a light weight semi auto. I do love them but it's not going to be a revolver for this one. Plenty of 1911 fans for sure. I have been looking at a few polymer framed guns. I really like the feel of
    some of them but never shot one in 45.
    Take a look at the S&W M&P in .45 ACP. I have a Gen I Compact version and have shot a fair amount of cast out of it with zero problems. I did install an Apex sear in the gun, because the trigger was atrocious. Other than that, it's box-stock.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

I am an egalitarian sort, with several 1911s, several Smith & Wesson 45 ACP DA revolvers and several SA revolvers with 45 ACP Cylinders. I see no reason why I should have to choose between them. They all work just fine.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

I think Rock River offers a polymer frame 1911 to further muddy the waters.

Boolit Buddy
    My FNX45 shoots FMJs and PCed boolits with no issues and you cant beat 15 rounds of 45acp but it is a large pistol so its not for everyone. I would also consider Sig p220/227 or Walther PPQ in 45. Both very good 45s.
    If you are considering 1911 I would get something nice like a sig or kimber . My friend has sig 1911 which is awesome. One of these days I'll get one too.

I have to go with the non 1911 minority and cast my vote for a Ruger P90 or the P345 both can be found on the used market . The P90 isn't a small gun but it's lighter than an all steel pistol . Mine was the most accurate and reliable pistol I've ever owned and would feed anything you stuck in the magazine anything even empty cases believe me or not ! I carried my quite a few yrs doing LE work . Ain't the prettiest girl at the dance but she works
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

I have bout 6k rounds on my springfield armory milspec stainless. Of those... I had a few malfunctions when I first got it. I gave the extractor a little manicure, and have since had not had a problems. I've fired a lot of factory in winchester, federal, blazer, some steel cased stuff, and a decent amount of reloads in both the TC point LEE and the lyman 452374 RN.

I got a buddy, that has an XD in 45, and if I was going to get a non 1911 in some kind of plastic, it'd be one of those. The grip fits me, were as the glock 21 does not.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast