ADvertise hereLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
StainLess Steel MediaGraf & SonsMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication

Thread: 9mm carbine/pistol load favorites please

Boolit Master

9mm carbine/pistol load favorites please

I hang out mostly in the shotgun forum, been loading shotshells since '75. I'm about to begin loading 9mm and use Vs CASTING MACHINES 122 hi-tec coated bullets initially. From what I read these seem like a good choice. I like the big meplat and there seems to be ample choices using shotgun powders I have on hand for medium to high power loads. (Longshot, HS-6, 800x, Green Dot) The first question is how much pressure/velocity increases I can expect for data using 4" pistol barrels in a 16" carbine and are they safely interchangeable from one gun to another? The second question is would you gents share your experience and pet loads in rhis regard? Not really interested in light loads as my interest is in stopping potential bad guys or poking holes in a pig or two at 50 yds or less. Thanks for your help in this regard!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	14 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	221987
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/9luger.html

This is a great resource; I’m also enjoying my new 9mm carbine, haven’t had a 9mm in years and haven’t loaded much for this one yet, been finding to many good deals of factory 9mm to spend the time
    Casting and loading for another caliber right now... I think you will enjoy this; mine is quickly becoming my favorite plinking rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    I read somewhere that IMI loaded for carbines with AA7 , and velocity was around 1400 fps with 120/125 gr bullets. My highpoint carbine loves this combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    I hang out mostly in the shotgun forum, been loading shotshells since '75. I'm about to begin loading 9mm and use Vs CASTING MACHINES 122 hi-tec coated bullets initially. From what I read these seem like a good choice. I like the big meplat and there seems to be ample choices using shotgun powders I have on hand for medium to high power loads. (Longshot, HS-6, 800x, Green Dot) The first question is how much pressure/velocity increases I can expect for data using 4" pistol barrels in a 16" carbine and are they safely interchangeable from one gun to another? The second question is would you gents share your experience and pet loads in rhis regard? Not really interested in light loads as my interest is in stopping potential bad guys or poking holes in a pig or two at 50 yds or less. Thanks for your help in this regard!

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	14 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	221987
    For your first question, there is no pressure increase in a 9mm cartridge due to being fired in a carbine as opposed to a handgun. The loads are the same. The only difference you will have is a velocity change due to the difference in barrel length. nagantguy suggested looking at the ballistics by the inch website. That will give you an approximation of what to expect in that regard.
    As far as pet loads, this depends on what your particular weapon likes. Most people use the same loads in a carbine that they will use in a handgun. There is some thought that slower powders MAY give more of an increase in velocity with the longer barrel, but so much depends on how a particular gun handles different loads that it is a guessing game.
    The 9mm carbine I had liked just about anything. All jacketed ammo worked fine. With cast, it preferred heavier boolits. I have no idea why since my handguns work fine with everything.

IMI may use AA7 now, but I have some of their carbine ammo from the 1990's and it is not AA7 powder.

Boolit Man
    For 9mm I use 4.2gr of HP38/W231 or 4gr of Tite Group. These are not very hot loads though. I've shot 4.4gr of HP38 but I didnt see any gains from that and since 9mm is my plinking round I would rather get more rounds per lb of powder. There are so many fast powders that would work for 9mm its hard to list them all. I use site below to compare my loads to others.

http://www.castpics.net/project2/CastDatalist.php

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys, great link Nagantguy.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

If you have any WSF on hand give it a try. Works very well in both my pistol and carbine. Gp

I have a Hipoint Carbine in 9mm, and a Handi rifle stub barrel also in 9mm.

Both are totally unfussy on bullet size, 125 gr to 158 gr they care less. Same for nose shape.

I load mine with Red Dot. Common is 3 grains as they can also be shot in my Hipoint C9 9mm pistol.
    But I have gone as high as 4.5 grains with no issues. And from what I can see no real advantage to burning more powder. Possibly a bit less rainbow. But not a lot of difference.

Faster powders, like those usually used in 9mm Luger factory
    loadings produce very modest increase in velocity in carbine
    length barrels. Maybe 100 fps or so.

I just bought a Ruger PC Carbine and am tinkering with
    AA #7 in it right now. It produces stellar accuracy with the
    115 Hornady HAP bullet. I'm going to chronograph it
    next week sometime. I'll report back.

50 yards, 4 shots

Name:	PC Carbine Target2.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	46.7 KB