Thread: Range box

Range box

Looking for some ideas for a range box.

Show what you have.

Thanks!

Banned
    big plastic ammo can

Boolit Master
    Well as I progressed from center fire AR-15 rifles into Sharps BPCR's I found the need for more and more stuff. These things are powder measures, screw driver set, punches/hammer set, cleaning patches (50 and 45 cal), wet patches, CO2 ball shooter, extra powder, soft mallet, rifle leaning clamp, spotting scope, cast bullet portable sizer, range books, small stapler, several shop clothes, spare nipples, small LED flash light, small magnifier, small level and probably stuff I have forgot? When I got to 3 plastic boxes I just happened to be at Lowes and saw the Stanley Fat Max wheeled tool box. Bought one 4 or so years ago and I can fit it into the rear section of my Chevy HHR perfectly. Only one box and it has wheels! The top is strong enough to use as a work bench if needed.

Over the next year or so I noticed a lot of the high power shooters bought them and went from 3 or 4 boxes to just one! Depends on how much stuff you have and in my case if I leave something home......I'll need it for sure!
    John

Boolit Grand Master

I have the big wheeled tool box for my center fire stuff. Top detaches so I don't always have to take the whole thing. For my BP supplies I have a tackle box and as I got more and more calibers, it was getting too crowded and too heavy with all that extra lead so I had tor resort to two tackle boxes. One for larger calibers and one for small. I started with a military type canvas tool bag. Worked good for allot of years, when I only had two calibers.

Not PC but it doesn't matter to me much.
    Aim small, miss small!

Here if I aint gone,, Were there's a gator in the bushes & SHE"S callin my name
    I use a tackle box for my ML range trips ; )
    H/D

Boolit Master

kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

A large paper grocery sack with a plastic tool tray in the bottom. It works but won't last forever so...

Boolit Master
    Made a range box for BP shooting out of 5/8 cypress with ornate brass corners left over from something else I didn't build. It has a shoulder strap along with a leather handle. One shoot I attend wants wood range boxes and frowns on metal or plastic. I'll try to get some pictures of it.

Boolit Master
    All of my shooting is off a bench or table at the range so my range box is set up to support my muzzle loader and bolt rifles. I chose a commercial model, the MTM range box. It is nice to be able to set the rifle in the box for wiping the bore when needed. Also serves to keep all the jags, patches, etc in one place. I also keep assorted tools and such for 'emergencies'.

You can easily make something similar if that is the kind of thing you want. When I shot C&B I had a wood range box set up with tripod legs and a loading stand in the box. It was a lot heavier than it needed to be, but, that heft was nice when ramming the balls on a Remmy revolver. I'd show a picture but that box left me 30 years ago.

Boolit Master
    This is mine. 19 inches long. Black plastic, think i paid $9.00 for it. It has everything i could possibly need to shoot both my 50 and 54 cal. Rifles. As well as all the cleaning stuff too.

Sounds like a lot of folks use tackle or tool boxes.

I will stop buy the hardware store this weekend and see what they have to offer.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Here is some very elaborate box from youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0cPZjySZno

Boolit Master
    I use this rig and i love it. I am a competitive shooter so this fits my lifestyle well. The bottom compartment has a hardshell in it to hold a pelican type case or in mine I put 100rd ammo boxes in and other items. It comes with a lot of extra goodies. A padded pistol soft bag, hydration bladder, parts bin, stool, range brass bag, magazine pouch, and rain cover. The cart is an extra but its a perfect, made for it, match for the bag. It's not a "box" per say but it totes my gear and I don't have to huck it on my back.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	right_web.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	222090
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Quote Originally Posted by taco650 View Post
    A large paper grocery sack with a plastic tool tray in the bottom. It works but won't last forever so...
    Hey , least it ain't a plastic walmart bag ! Lol
    For my range trips I've learned what I need and don't really need . Most of my stuff fits in my possibles bag few extra flints , screwdriver tool , patches and balls , I take range rod that I leave in the car as I use the underbarrel rod for loading and bore swabbing . My powder is in my horn, pan primer in pocket powder measure on string around my neck . And that's about all I take besides a few paper plates with a black dot on them for my target and something to fasten them to the target backer