RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I love the country

Boolit Master

I love the country

Took some pics today. I wouldn't trade this for all the convenience and stores in the world.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Turkeys in the bean field behind the house, deer out the kitchen window, birds, garden, and quiet. Yup I know the feeling..
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

I know the feeling also. Deer show up in the front of the house and the coyotes you can hear sing at times at night. Birds sing during the day and owls at night and walk in front of the house or out back and look up on a clear night and see just stars. Also see other game around the yard and across the road in the field.I live off a dirt road at that.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Oh, how I envy you and I wish I could enjoy the same sort of surroundings. I'd love to be a "country boy", but my dear wife is strictly a "city girl" and won't hear of it ...

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master

decades ago as kid growing up I spent many a day out in the hay fields. I liked the fact that few people came around and you never knew what might show up. On days when I didn't have much to do I would go and work on eliminating the wood chucks from fields we cut hay off or other crops. One day I shot a woodchuck and then heard some dogs barking was on a small knoll and just sat down and waited for the dogs to appear all of a sudden I hear this snort and turn slowly to see a couple of deer standing maybe 15 feet behind me. I turn and notice they are looking at the same direction I was and then the two dogs appeared. The first one was a beagle and the second was a german shepard, no they didn't get to the deer and they stood right there until the dogs were dealt with and then snorted and walked off into another part of the field. My own dog at the time was caught chasing deer and I gave him the worst whipping he ever got all the time with some deer he could see, he never went near deer again and yes I had folks watching and they were told if they saw him on deer to drop him and let me know so I could bury him. I miss being out in the country and smelling hay and seeing the critters, being stuck in the city is no place for someone who grew up in the country, but here I am.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Buddy
    Just as I am reading this 1 deer wandered Thur the back yard, she had fawns this spring but have not seen them in weeks, got more rabbits this year than ever. Turkeys show up in the fall. I could not deal with living in the city.

Boolit Master

Had a sack of corn left over from deer season that I set out of the truck under a peacan tree in the front yard. Couple yearling deer found it last week and I stepped out my front door to see one with her head in the sack maybe 40 yards away. She looked up and went on about her business. My youngest daughter caught one of them with their front hooves on the bottom rung of the trampoline ladder. Nosey little farts.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master

adam20
    sometimes you have to accept the way things in life turn out. I don't like the city but situations have made it where I have to be. My life would be great if I could be out in the country and not have close neighbors.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Buddy

Will be 77 in August, and wife and I have a small place,3 acres, in east Tn. Mostly on the side of a ridge. We've been working to make it easier for us to manage as we get older so we can live here as long as possible. Don't want to think about livin' in any city, period. CR

Boolit Master

Amen for loving the country. We watched a turkey walk by the patio while we ate supper tonight.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy
    Not really in a city but am in town. Got 3 more years until our baby girl is out of high school. Gonna get out then. Anybody who lives out in the country is blessed. Can't wait to go back myself.

Boolit Master
    Luv It!

Thanks for sharing the pics~!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    I, too, live out in the country, and absolutely love it. Just this morning, I could see one rabbit, a couple chipmunks, and a hen turkey with her 11 chicks. She has been coming in for the last 4 days, and so far she has not lost a single one.

Boolit Grand Master
    every time I go to my property in the country I have a
    hard time leaving and I usually stall big time
    hate the city,crowds,over abundance of people
    can breath out of it nothing like it
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

I have farm land in south central Kansas, but live in a city. I go up there any time I can love the peace, wildlife, and seeing the stars. My cousin thinks I'm crazy when I just stand out and look and the stars for 15 or 20 minutes, enjoying the quiet and listening to the coyotes, and yes he knows how lucky he has it, he hates the city.

Boolit Master
    if I had to live in a town or city I would not last long till I had it out with a busy body. if I can not wiz off the back porch then the houses are too close.

Boolit Master
    Watching two deer eat as I type this. The turkeys and their new babies already left. We spread 100 pounds of corn out for them every 3-4 days. When they leave we watch the bass chase bluegills in our pond.
    Life is good in the country
    Last edited by snowwolfe; 06-13-2018 at 10:32 AM.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master

Moved from 167 acres to 23 acres several years ago. Actually see a lot more wildlife now as the house if way off the road and the land mostly wooded. So far today I've seen a doe with a very young fawn, a couple ground hogs, a tom turkey and a skunk. We usually see more deer but that will pick up when the fawns are bigger. We get to recognize the does and fawns and enjoy watching the fawns develop.

Left the city over 35 years ago and can't imagine ever going back. I'm trying to get this new place whipped into shape so it will be easier to take care of as I get older.
    Chuck

Yup....the deer's equivalent of the Ho Chi Minh trail is alongside the stone wall on our east side. Bears? Yup. Bobcats? Check. Even a mountain lion. Turkeys? Biggest flock so far is 43 in the yard. Skunks? Yup...even got sprayed once getting wood. Coyotes? Check. Plus every small critter known to mankind.
    Nothing like the country. After living downtown Portsmouth NH for some 25 years, this is heaven. Went from loud motorcycles, drunks, fights and and noise to the peace and quiet of rural New Hampshire.
    Best thing I ever did.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by shdwlkr View Post
    decades ago as kid growing up I spent many a day out in the hay fields. I liked the fact that few people came around and you never knew what might show up. On days when I didn't have much to do I would go and work on eliminating the wood chucks from fields we cut hay off or other crops. One day I shot a woodchuck and then heard some dogs barking was on a small knoll and just sat down and waited for the dogs to appear all of a sudden I hear this snort and turn slowly to see a couple of deer standing maybe 15 feet behind me. I turn and notice they are looking at the same direction I was and then the two dogs appeared. The first one was a beagle and the second was a german shepard, no they didn't get to the deer and they stood right there until the dogs were dealt with and then snorted and walked off into another part of the field. My own dog at the time was caught chasing deer and I gave him the worst whipping he ever got all the time with some deer he could see, he never went near deer again and yes I had folks watching and they were told if they saw him on deer to drop him and let me know so I could bury him. I miss being out in the country and smelling hay and seeing the critters, being stuck in the city is no place for someone who grew up in the country, but here I am.
    I understand that a guy doesn’t want your dog to run off and chase deer, but you don’t want him timid of the thought if they’re in your yard or garden. That was the whole point of having a dog in the country, keep things out of the yard and warn you when people drove up the driveway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast