RotoMetals2Graf & SonsInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyStainLess Steel MediaADvertise here

Thread: Sand/Salt Bath Annealing brass, has anyone tried this?

Sand/Salt Bath Annealing brass, has anyone tried this?

Sand https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twtPEQVt63U

Salt https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwdTaDLz56Q

Does anyone know the recipe blending the salt bath?

I've used salt bath with good results. You can purchase low temperature salt for annealing from a couple of places. I did not get mine from Ballistic Recreations but got it from high temp tools.

http://www.hightemptools.com/salts.html
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master

Yep, tried it and itís not worth the hazard. Found that in my unconditioned garage condensation can form on the inside of the case and when the water hits the molten salt itís explosive. The salts had to be at 1000 degrees to get any type of repeatable results. And no matter what I did I had salts sticking to cases which werenít easy to remove.

There a lot of inexpensive automated annealers available. Theyíre a better option in all aspects. The subject of salt bath annealing from time to time. And someone usually states that I did something wrong. This wasnít the case and Iíve answered particulars questions before. There are better methods available.

Boolit Master
    dip them in you lead casting pot you aready have everything you need to anneal your brass

Boolit Master
    I used same salt as Boolit Head . Worked ok at best but my small Lee pot had problems holding temp.
    I built and now use an annealer like Elfster shows if that tells you anything.
    Last edited by kokomokid; 06-13-2018 at 09:24 AM.

Boolit Mold
    Not yet, but have been looking into going that route for awhile now, and plan to buy a Ballistic Recreations kit soon.
    I'd be interested in the (or a good alternative) salt recipe myself.

Boolit Master

I use sand. Its a very fine silica sand used in glass making. I pre heat the 10 pound lyman dipper pot for awhile ( use my lead thermometer to get temp right) and have a rack made to hold cases. work around the circle of holes. It works for me but Im annealing BPCR cases and these are usually thinner than other centerfire cases also. My rack has 12 evenly spaced holes and a stop plate to set depth.