WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
PBcastcoMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Great Article by Green Frog in "The Fouling Shot"

Thumbs up Great Article by Green Frog in "The Fouling Shot"

I meant to post this several weeks ago, but somehow got sidetracked. Anyhow, Green Frog/Froggie has an excellent article in the May - June Cast Bullet Assoc. bimonthly publication, The Fouling Shot. The title is "Ideal Dies and Reloading Tools Decoded" and represents a great deal of effort on GF's part and is certainly worth reading and archiving.
    Last edited by Maven; 06-12-2018 at 12:04 PM.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Agreed!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks for the support and kudos, guys. Truth to tell, I didn’t really set out to write that article, but as I gathered info for my own use and tried to organize it so I could access it and share some points easily with friends, the seed was sown. In fact, the tables were posted here in Cast Pics (with my permission but without credit) several years ago... heck, i’ve been gathering this info since at least the early ‘90s.

Then a bit of prodding by some of those same friends (you know who you are!) encouraged me to make it into a formal article. Glad you enjoyed it! This kind of acknowledgement and support is what encourages me to try another topic or two.

Regards,
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

I'm still a bit new to cast, so I don't yet belong to CBA and get "TFS."

Did your article cover the pre 310 tools? If it did that'd be a push to join and get that article.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Master

You can just purchase their articles. You can also buy the archives on CD. i keep meaning to buy that wolf publishing's archive.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Landy88 View Post
    I'm still a bit new to cast, so I don't yet belong to CBA and get "TFS."

Did your article cover the pre 310 tools? If it did that'd be a push to join and get that article.
    Landy88,

My article in TFS was targeted toward the dies rather than the tools themselves. Most of the early tools (i.e. from the Barlow days up to WW 2) had the seating chamber made integral to the tool, so there was no need for the die codes to keep them straight. The Model 3 and later Model 10 were most like the later 310s. In addition some of the other tools had interchangeable dies and one even had arms for interchangeable bullet moulds instead of the integral bullet moulds most of the early tools had. The Lyman Centennial Journal had a fair amount of coverage of these variations as did Chamberlain and Quigley's Reloading Tools of the Past. Also there was a little paperback pamphlet by McCluney that went through the numbered tools from 1-10 (except for #9, which never seems to have been used.) This pamphlet was self published and McCluney passed away several years ago, so I'm not sure whether you could find one except by sheer dumb luck. My memory isn't what it used to be, but if you have a specific question, I'll try to answer it the best I can.

Froggie

Froggie,

I've no specific question, only a growing interest in what might be called the one die (although MR dies were an option for the latest ones) tools - those with either single or double adjustable seating chambers with attached molds or mold arms a bonus. These are more versatile, being not as bullet specific as the integral chamber tools; and they're not the puzzle palace of myriad dies and functions that are 310s. The pin, dipper, and priming hook do tend to evaporate to the ether of time; but, still, they're, truly, put one tool in the gun's case and be able to load for it tools.

Romantic scenes of bygone days of campfire casting and wall tent loading become relivable with just one funny looking pair of "pliers."
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Froggie,

Let me add a specific question after all: Where is a good source for parts?

While the various auction sites look promising for whole (or nearly so) tools, I see nothing for the priming hook that I need nor the extra seating chambers that might be fun or useful.

~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have owned a total of ONE Number 10 tool with hook... a rather pedestrian 30-06 in well worn condition. I've never tried to find one of the hooks and don't remember seeing one for sale and only a couple of #10 tools that used them. I'm sure they are out there but finding them is a different matter. The seating chambers show up on rare occasions on the infamous fleaBay and at some of the larger, better quality gun shows. I wish I had a better answer for you but I don't. There is a guy on eBay fairly often with repros of the decapping spud... he's pretty proud of them though!

Froggie

Yes, the decapping spuds when available separately are so high that one could buy another whole tool without one. An easy, dirt cheap, and a good enough for using versus collecting work around is a Lee case length gauge and an acorn nut or a cut and shaped Lee Loader decapper.

Thanks for sharing your experience, even though, it is that parts prospects are dim.

~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Is there any way the article could be posted here? I would love to read it.

Vendor Sponsor

The pin, dipper, and priming hook do tend to evaporate to the ether of time; but, still, they're, truly, put one tool in the gun's case and be able to load for it tools.

Romantic scenes of bygone days of campfire casting and wall tent loading become relivable with just one funny looking pair of "pliers."
    Funny you have the same thought as me. I have been thinking I want to do just that; wall tent, cast at camp and all. If my health holds, I will get it done.
    Chill Wills

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Funny you have the same thought as me. I have been thinking I want to do just that; wall tent, cast at camp and all. If my health holds, I will get it done.
    We will have to make sure to get it done, too good and achievable of an idea and experience to let escape.

I've got a house to prep and get on the market and some tools to sort before I can get away or can do it with the vintage tools; but I won't envy you too much if you beat me to it, like heck I won't.

~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Master

So which tool do the decapping spuds go to?
    I have a couple of the spuds.

Quote Originally Posted by BrassMagnet View Post
    So which tool do the decapping spuds go to?
    I have a couple of the spuds.
    All of the pre-310 Ideal and Marlin made tools #1-10, and the Winchester tools of the same era used a very similar spud. Ideals have a hint of a truncated cone shape at the bullet end, while Winchesters are more smoothly rounded. They used different ways to hold the pin, too. I doubt that one could tell which number of tool a spud came from, beyond pre-310. They are pretty sought after, and all that you need determine is Ideal or Winchester and cartridge.

I'm pretty new to getting any of these, but have a couple pretty nice tools. Nice as they are, spuds and priming hook, as is almost always so, are missing.

~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Buddy

I have no experience here. Froggie hooked me up with an Ideal in 30-06 that I use for Priming and De-capping 44-40 for my Ballard. I love it

Quote Originally Posted by carbine View Post
    I have no experience here. Froggie hooked me up with an Ideal in 30-06 that I use for Priming and De-capping 44-40 for my Ballard. I love it
    I'll guess that that is a #10 without hook and with a #310 universal decapper die mounted, and I can see how it would be a quite fine capper / decapper. Plenty of leverage and strength, too - an '06 size #10 ain't exactly petite.

~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'll guess that that is a #10 without hook and with a #310 universal decapper die mounted, and I can see how it would be a quite fine capper / decapper. Plenty of leverage and strength, too - an '06 size #10 ain't exactly petite.
    Right on the first guess. Mr Carbine simply told me he needed a way to decap his black powder 44-40 rounds after shooting them at N-SSA events. I happened to have an orphan set of #10 handles in 30-06 that would do the job just fine. The rest, as they say, is history, and I'm very happy it worked out so well. I'm to the point now where utility is the overarching factor in my tong tool decisions unless I'm dealing with a special, odd set that I regard as collectible or appropriate for a specific application like the 44-40 set I got for my own N-SSA repeater, an Italian copy of the Henry as formerly sold by Navy Arms.

Froggie

I'd say that's a good jump, Froggie.

Keeping these old tools working is a good thing, and both the article and putting them into new hands helps.

~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Grand Master
    I fear that as an amphibian I am “neither fish nor fowl.” I’m not serious enough as a collector to fit into that camp, but I’m too willing to use old, odd tools to do tasks I want them for to fit in with the modern crowd either. Sometimes I feel kinda like an outsider, but I’ve gotta be true to myself!

Froggie