Graf & SonsLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
StainLess Steel Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 52

Thread: Taming Recoil on sharps carbine

  1. #21
    I have owned a couple of old rifles over the years and found lead in the butstock it developes an oxide coating and as it swelled the stocks split open. Lead is a very bad idea if in contact with wood. A better idea would be tin. Had a m-74 Sharps that seemed heavy and found tin in the stock no idea how long but no oxide coating.

  2. #22
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    738
    Quote Originally Posted by BRUCE MOULDS View Post
    joe,
    if you really want to reduce felt recoil, restocking would be a good idea.
    a straighter stock is more user friendly.
    then put a 32" barrel on it, as this allows a sight radius to be set up in true minutes of angle.
    if you want to shoot silhouette, there is a weight limit for that.
    as well as a rifle balanced to shoot chickens offhand is different to one balanced to shoot off a rest.
    firther recoil reduction can be had by going to a 40/82 with a 1/12 or 1/13 twist barrel.
    this will still use your current extractor, and allow bullets of 1.5" long for 13, and 1.55 long for 12.
    these bullets, at the speed they do, give up nothig to a 45/2.4" in the wind out to 1000 yds.
    for purely long range you can use a rifle up to 15 lb.
    the 40 cal bullets that compete with 540 gn 45 cals will weigh about 440 gns, a significant reduction in recoil.
    charges will be similar to the 45/70 with bullets designed for long range.
    of course the best long range bullets are pp, as they have no drag inducing speed humps on them.
    keep safe,
    bruce.
    Bruce
    Thanks for the thoughts - could be where I will end up in five years time - the idea has been there all along really - other projects in between for now - think my mate has a 40/82 reamer - might advance the cause a bit !

  3. #23
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,585
    Rather than all the hassle just swap for a heavier rifle.
    EDG

  4. #24
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    738
    Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    Rather than all the hassle just swap for a heavier rifle.
    Yeah - makes a lot of sense I spose - just shell out 3grand, wait a year, line up with somethin that looks like everybody elses
    OTOH - some fellers enjoy the foolin round that others see as a hassle - if we only did what makes sense would we be here in the first place? Usin a 150 year old gun with iron sights and black powder to lob shots at a 1000yard target when we could go down the street and for same money buy a 338 with a big scope on and drill the sucker! Nah - none of what we do makes sense we all enjoyin the hassles in one form or another -- I have enjoyed the feedback to my query on this deal - everyone that hit the keyboard has come forth with their best suggestions - some of em fit ME and some of em may not - but its all been well intentioned --- so heres a big thank you to all the gang here - its a great place to learn new tricks for this ole dog.

  5. #25
    Boolit Bub yulzari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    France Nouvelle Aquitaine
    Posts
    63
    Perhaps a coarser powder granulation will take some edge off the felt recoil? I use Swiss 1Fg whenever I can.

  6. #26
    Boolit Master

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northwest Ohio
    Posts
    9,018
    If you don't want to re stock it, try one of the slip on or lace on recoil pads. Or make one about 1/2" wider than the stock. While this dosnt lessen the recoil it does spread it out over more area making the perceived recoil lighter. Use thick leather and make it one piece with the raised cheek piece a part of it. The only way to add weight to the forearm is to cut a pocket out and fill it with lead, tin, pewter or zinc.
    Weight needs to be added front and back to maintain the proper balance for comfortable shooting. A slightly wider forearm with a pocket cut between the mounting screws would allow lead to be added there.

  7. #27
    Boolit Bub
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    40
    added with a big smile...toughen up buttercup!

  8. #28
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,514
    I use a slip on pad for most of my .45 cal prone rifles. It's the really ugly black one, I think called the "Shooters Friend". It adds a little to the LOP and reduces felt recoil a lot. I used to use one of the Buffalo Arms strap on shoulder pads but found that it pressed into my neck a little during prone shooting. This made the rifle move at each heart beat.

    Chris.

  9. #29
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    738
    Quote Originally Posted by yulzari View Post
    Perhaps a coarser powder granulation will take some edge off the felt recoil? I use Swiss 1Fg whenever I can.
    Two problems with changing powder grade 1) I am the guy doing 80mph in a 75 zone in a foreign country where they drive on the other side of the road - my thinking is always "can I get a bit more powder in there?" 2) at a more practical level - barrel is only 26 inch - needs the faster burn of FFF to keep velocity decent. (I think anyway)
    Basic problems here - poor stock design, a 535 grain boolit, in a 8 pound gun (have it up to ten pounds now and working on that stock )
    Just for fun I ran some numbers through the recoil calculator at handloads.com
    My 54 ball gun with top load = 33.6, sharps carbine 500gr boolit @8 lb =27.6, sharps carbine 535 gr boolit @ 10 lb = 24.2, 348 winchester = 22, 1876 uberti 405 gr boolit= 20.6....................no wonder that dang ball gun used to slap my face in a prone match!!
    Don Mc Dowell put his finger on the problem first go I think - stock design unsuitable - am working on that now.

  10. #30
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,585
    How did you get to $3000 exactly? I have 5 nice BPCR rifles and no 2 of them cost $3000 combined nor did I have to wait for years for any of them. All of them are heavy rifles that slow down recoil. The lightest weights 10.5 lbs. The rest weigh 12 lbs.

    You can toss your rifle in the trash an buy another rifle of higher quality for less than $1500. If you still want to learn you can start out rebarreling and restocking a better rifle that is not always going to be an IAB. Would you build a nice car starting with a Yugo?
    BTW your IAB is not 150 years old so that comment is not really valid.

    Is this really about taming recoil on a too light rifle or is it about turning an IAB into a financial loss by spending more money on it than it is worth?


    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    Yeah - makes a lot of sense I spose - just shell out 3grand, wait a year, line up with somethin that looks like everybody elses
    OTOH - some fellers enjoy the foolin round that others see as a hassle - if we only did what makes sense would we be here in the first place? Usin a 150 year old gun with iron sights and black powder to lob shots at a 1000yard target when we could go down the street and for same money buy a 338 with a big scope on and drill the sucker! Nah - none of what we do makes sense we all enjoyin the hassles in one form or another -- I have enjoyed the feedback to my query on this deal - everyone that hit the keyboard has come forth with their best suggestions - some of em fit ME and some of em may not - but its all been well intentioned --- so heres a big thank you to all the gang here - its a great place to learn new tricks for this ole dog.
    Last edited by EDG; 06-13-2018 at 07:25 PM.
    EDG

  11. #31
    Joe, just out of curiousity, have you shot any other guns from the prone position? I can lay on my stomach without to much issue in the back, but as soon as I prop myself up, with in a minute I'm cramping and aching. Just wondering if any recoil would set your back to hurting.

  12. #32
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    294
    never forget the supine, or back position.
    it bends the back in a more friendly way than on the belly.

  13. #33
    Boolit Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hell Gap Wy
    Posts
    5,207
    Quote Originally Posted by frydaddy96 View Post
    Joe, just out of curiousity, have you shot any other guns from the prone position? I can lay on my stomach without to much issue in the back, but as soon as I prop myself up, with in a minute I'm cramping and aching. Just wondering if any recoil would set your back to hurting.
    Your cross ticks are probably to high.
    GUSA #6
    People will forget what you said...
    People will forget what you did...
    But People will NEVER forget how you made them feel

    Want to join in adult conversation about shooting the old ways without the hysterics associated with other places?http://historicshooting.com/mybb/index.php

  14. #34
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    738
    Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    How did you get to $3000 exactly? I have 5 nice BPCR rifles and no 2 of them cost $3000 combined nor did I have to wait for years for any of them. All of them are heavy rifles that slow down recoil. The lightest weights 10.5 lbs. The rest weigh 12 lbs.

    You can toss your rifle in the trash an buy another rifle of higher quality for less than $1500. If you still want to learn you can start out rebarreling and restocking a better rifle that is not always going to be an IAB. Would you build a nice car starting with a Yugo?
    BTW your IAB is not 150 years old so that comment is not really valid.

    Is this really about taming recoil on a too light rifle or is it about turning an IAB into a financial loss by spending more money on it than it is worth?
    $3000 was a wild guess based on past experience - looks like you missed my comments about living in a foreign country - list on a Pedersoli was mid $2500ish last time I looked + freight + dealer charges $100 to put it on the register + $30 for a permit to purchase - (I would be surprised if I put a new pedersoli of my choice in the rack under $3K) - my uberti 1876 took about 9 months from order to in the rack ....... how we doin so far??
    You fellers in the US are spoiled! ya have no idea how furtunate you are in the guns and ammo department - gas - cars - building materials too
    The rest of your post comes over kinda insulting but I'll pretend ya didnt mean it

  15. #35
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    738
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    Your cross ticks are probably to high.
    Don
    stage one done Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sharps butt.jpeg 
Views:	11 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	222081
    havent added as much height as you suggested but with the sight on 500 setting it sits nice - weight is about 10.25 lb - still needs some weight forward to counter it.
    So far I am out about two bucks for the lead and maybe 25 for the leather cover + some time

  16. #36
    Boolit Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hell Gap Wy
    Posts
    5,207
    The target and your neck and shoulder will tell the rest of the story.
    GUSA #6
    People will forget what you said...
    People will forget what you did...
    But People will NEVER forget how you made them feel

    Want to join in adult conversation about shooting the old ways without the hysterics associated with other places?http://historicshooting.com/mybb/index.php

  17. #37
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    294
    joe,
    if you put a long cleaning rod in the barrel, hanging out over the stock, it can help show a min apparrent recoil stock.
    what you want is the line from the comb to the heel to just give clearance for the handle of a rod, with maybe 1/8" max lower on the heel than the comb, or not as appeals to the eye.
    then measure the height of a good recoil pad from the heel to the toe to find that point.
    the bottom line will be a straight line from the toe to the base of the trigger.
    then you fit the pistol grip in on that.
    always allow a little more length of pull than you think, as you can always take a bit off after shooting.
    these single shots seem to need a little more length of pull than bolt actions and prone rifles seem the prefer a little more than offhand ones.
    keep safe,
    bruce.

  18. #38
    Boolit Master

    rfd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    NJ via TX
    Posts
    2,464
    geez louise, like trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. i'd sell the dang thing and start all over with a more proper gun, but i see that be too late for ya now. if you've got it up to 10lbs, and gave the stock a make over, then doing what you don't wanna do is the next absolute most important thing to do - add a proper butt pad that will soak up recoil. you wanna look "good" or feel good? i've tried 'em all and the only one that works for my poor sick shoulder is the kick killer leather lace-on pad with the internal akton gel shock absorber. it works wonders. no lie. 60 rounds later and i have no shoulder issues. i won't have a .45-70 rifle without one and my cartridge load is 81 grains of swiss 1-1/2f under a 528 grain PPB slick. heck, i even use one on my 6-1/2lb .62 smoothbore flintlock with 70 grains of swiss 3f and a 320 grain patched ball, or 80 grains and an ounce of shot. good luck!








  19. #39
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    738
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    geez louise, like trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. i'd sell the dang thing and start all over with a more proper gun, but i see that be too late for ya now. if you've got it up to 10lbs, and gave the stock a make over, then doing what you don't wanna do is the next absolute most important thing to do - add a proper butt pad that will soak up recoil. you wanna look "good" or feel good? i've tried 'em all and the only one that works for my poor sick shoulder is the kick killer leather lace-on pad with the internal akton gel shock absorber. it works wonders. no lie. 60 rounds later and i have no shoulder issues. i won't have a .45-70 rifle without one and my cartridge load is 81 grains of swiss 1-1/2f under a 528 grain PPB slick. heck, i even use one on my 6-1/2lb .62 smoothbore flintlock with 70 grains of swiss 3f and a 320 grain patched ball, or 80 grains and an ounce of shot. good luck!







    Aaaaaaarrrggghh Crikey man ----not tryin to win the dang olympic games here ! just wanna get the best I can outa this particular piece of hardware and take a bit of the bite out of it at the same time. I like yr pictures but the action of mine is as attractive as any sharps - better lookin than most pedersolis - and it functions fine - so we down to the name on the side - Pedersoli means nothing extra to me over IAB - if it works it works - they both Italian replicas - not likely I will sell it - If I decide to restock it, all that will cost me is a piece of wood (might see a nice piece of native timber around in my travels or I have some slabs of mulberry curing now) - I'll do the work if it gets done - I believe the barrel is good .........dont reckon I will win anything serious but if I work at it I can usually get close enough to make the fellers at the front pay attention.

  20. #40
    Boolit Master

    rfd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    NJ via TX
    Posts
    2,464
    i hear ya IJ, you like what ya have and just wanna tame recoil. you've added the weight, now add a good butt pad and be done with her, mate.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check