Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: totally confused over metric

Boolit Master
    Years ago I was given a very nice tape measure......one of the big 100 yard ones in a leather case with a brass folding handle.I used it for a few setouts.......and lots of snide comments...........finally figured it out.........the tape is in yards and feet........and what look like inches are actually 1/10 of a foot........So you can have metric in feet as well,as millimeters etc.

Boolit Master

Spend some time in a machine shop that works in both systems, you'll have it figured out in about a day.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    My high school algebra teacher told me in 1974 that by 1980 the United States would be totally converted to the metric system. I told him I did not think so. I guess I won that argument!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Even then the whole country was using the metric system for time-hours and minutes.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    .the tape is in yards and feet........and what look like inches are actually 1/10 of a foot........So you can have metric in feet as well,as millimeters etc.
    Decimal feet. American industry used to run in fractions, mostly, as did government contracts. During WWI a coalition of Detroit manufacturers petitioned the War Department to be able to use decimal inches instead of fractional inches when filling government contracts. (decimal inches were something that Thomas Jefferson had advocated, long before...)

Companies like Ford held on to fractions for decades, which is why pre-WWII Ford service manuals specify dimensions in 1/128ths and such.

Then there are peculiarities like metric micrometers which read in 1/4 mm increments...

Boolit Master
    it took me a while to figure it out...just so unexpected..............finally the penny dropped when I couldnt find 11 inches on the tape......who d a thunk it?...........You lay out a $5000 concrete slab,and when poured its noticeably cockeyed.

Boolit Grand Master

The metric system is a communist conspiracy to corrupt the moral fiber of America's youth.

Note the attempted adoption of the metric system coincides with the beginning of the downfall of the American society.......just kidding...... but.......
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

I like the metrics, but when you build stuff that is 39,000mm long it's good to have a second set of eyes. I have come across fractional metric threads, never seen a lathe that would cut it. So time to get out goes-into-ta-matic and make due. I seen an Indian made mill that was graduated in 1/128ths.
    I am sure there are many other unique items around ie Whitworth and BA.
    Be well
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Master
    Here's a useful online converter, it's free, down load it and create a shortcut on your desktop or task bar:
    https://joshmadison.com/convert-for-windows/
    Click on the yellow/orange download button, NOT the green one
    Did I mention it's FREE

Edit: Use 25.4 for metric/inch conversions it's way more accurate than .03937.

Boolit Grand Master

The same way a cap and ball 44 is really a 45. Or as Winchester put it, "All our 44's are really 43's except for the 38, which is a 40". Depends if you are calling it by bore or groove.

Boolit Master
    7.35 Carcno is much closer to 0.30 cal than the 7.62 we call 30 cal. 357Sig = 0.355" while 38 special = 0.357" 460Rowland=0.451" ...
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post
    Here's a useful online converter, it's free, down load it and create a shortcut on your desktop or task bar:
    https://joshmadison.com/convert-for-windows/
    Click on the yellow/orange download button, NOT the green one
    Did I mention it's FREE

Edit: Use 25.4 for metric/inch conversions it's way more accurate than .03937.
    While 25.4 is indeed accurate, using .03937" per mm results in an error of .0000787 inches at one meter. Kinda tough to measure methinks.

25.4 came from the US Department of Commerce, to simplify conversion between systems in international trade.

It has had far-reaching consequences in chemistry and physics, where the rounding error invalidated much experimental data collected by people who should have known better...

Boolit Master

I own a 12.7 mm S&W Magnum revolver. Believe me, it confuses me too.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    and the British have there own thread system for bolts and nuts.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    and the British have there own thread system for bolts and nuts.
    Mauser large ring has a 1.1 thread that is 12 pitch 55 degree which is Whitworth. I had a very well known gun maker try to tell me it was metric. The machinery to build the original Mausers was purchased from England.

Boolit Master
    Ok, ok, now i am really getting confused! I kinda think Larry might have a point, you know the globalization and all that was jammed down our throat. I really would like to open up a 7.2 x39 in a ar to 9mm but should it be a .356 or .366 diameter?
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    dang meds!! 7.62x39 is what I meant in last post.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Well some cartridge names are bore and others are caliber. .218" is the minor dia of many .224" barrels, hence the 218 bee and the 224 Valkrie can share the same bullets . Then some stuff is rounded up or down too. The 6.8SPC and the 270 both use .277 bullets. 6.8/25.4 = 0.26771".
    .277 x 25.4 = 0.26771"
    270 reamer pilot Nominal Pilot Size: 0.2692...dunno where they got the 6.8 from ....well some combloc stuff made for steel jacket bullets runs a bigger minor dia than typical USA designed stuff for gilding metal bullets.
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fast ronnie View Post
    Mauser large ring has a 1.1 thread that is 12 pitch 55 degree which is Whitworth. I had a very well known gun maker try to tell me it was metric. The machinery to build the original Mausers was purchased from England.
    That one has caused a lot of grief !!!! Whitworth threads are same TPI as National coarse all the way from quarter inch up to inch bolts EXCEPT for the 1/2 inch whitworth is 12 TPI and 1/2 inch NC is 13 TPI ----------why is that a problem ? Aussie system is based on English due to our colonial history - but most of our AG machinery imports last century came from north america - my first lesson came pulling the brake drums on a massey harris tractor - two 1/2 inch bolt holes in the machine to do it - easy deal - grab a couple 1/2 inch bolts -----------ooooops! 12 thread ina 13 hole they go about 6 or maybe 7 threads in before they seize up good - so a simple job those days ends with a trip to town to buy a couple of bolts or (as we did) NC tap and die ------later years we added metric machinery to the mix - more confusion !! Had a International 986 tractor once with a German Neuss motor (metric fittings) US made transmissions (National standard threads) Aussie built peripherals (half whitworth and half metric) to top that off you could not buy a bearing from the bearing supplies because International Harvester had a deal where they used special order bearings with metric outer and inch size inners (or vice versa)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    My high school algebra teacher told me in 1974 that by 1980 the United States would be totally converted to the metric system. I told him I did not think so. I guess I won that argument!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    I remember that argument, and I chuckle every time I look through a catalog of mechanics tools and see the metric sockets offered in........wait for it...........1/2, 3/8 and 1/4 I N C H drive!
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast