Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Sifting screens ?

Boolit Bub

Sifting screens ?

Has anyone here ever sifted black powder or muzzleloading propellent like H777 using brass screens? I have heard of some people using screens to create a charge with more uniform granulation, thus increasing accuracy and velocity. At least that is what is supposed to happen.

I have been contemplating doing this and see what the results are.

I like to get some but brass sieves are hideously expensive. The Chinese crap powder available here could do with some sorting and I would like to try some experiments.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Super Moderator

.............A quick search and look had 2 companies providing various (mesh size) screens in brass. bronze, copper, aluminum, monel & etc. Checking $ brass at 1x1 sq ft screen was $6.75US. BUT, they had a minimum order amount of $75

..................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    I have tried it with black. This was in the pre pyrodex days. I had read about it but never seen any. 1973?. Groups shrank from just under 3 inches to just over 2 inches. Open sight at 100 yards back when my eyes still worked. It wouldn't turn a TC Hawkin into a match grade rifle but did help a little. The 3f powder I was starting with had less than 5% 4f fines and a little over 25% 2f.
    It wasn't worth the trouble to me. With a better rifle and some one who can really shoot it may make a difference in a close match.
    The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    The McMaster-Carr Co. has small pieces of various meshes of brass screen in usable sizes. Use an embroidery hoop from Wally's or maybe the $ store to capture the screen. Search out published granulation sizes so you can figure what you are doing. The object is to have fewer fines in your favorite granulation so as to have a more consistent burn rate. Fines settle to the bottom making for hotter charges as you work toward the bottom of the container.

That was the initial premise of the GOEX Express: better screening for consistency. I'm sure it works, but I don't shoot traditional flintlock well enough to get a noticeable benefit.

BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

I tried it. Matthews in his BPC books mentuioned it for both BP and pyrodex. I used an inexpensive stainless steel strainer form a harware store selling kitchen goods. Most do it to remove the "fines" or extra graphite in the powder. I do not remember if it was this site or another but one individual mentioned "socking" black powder. They would pour about a quarter pound in a sock and shake it a bit and pour it into another container. The fines would stick to the sock. I gather it was an older trick. Like many of the others have stated, I never really got too excited about any gains that could be had working over the powder.

Northmn
    Last edited by northmn; 09-19-2008 at 06:25 PM.