Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2

Thread: Winchester 1876 parts

Winchester 1876 parts

Does anyone know or can figure out the thread size on finger lever spring?

I bought an original online (45-60) and was hoodwinked as to its true condition. I need to replace the lever springs. They are not available....I found and ordered one set, maybe the last set on Earth, and not sure of the condition on them so meanwhile I've been researching how to make my own. So, I will need to drill and trap them to take the screws.

Thanks

Boolit Master

Buckinghams Antique Winchester Gun Parts used to have a fair amount of original 1876 parts available - Just in case
    Being human is not for sissies.

Usually lots of parts on ebay.

Winchesterbob -- "don't have them in stock; won't be making those for AWHILE."

Numrich -- Out
    VTI -- Out
    Homestead -- Out

eBay -- Bing Bing Bing! Very expensive. Will they be any good? We'll see.

Buckingham's Winchester parts --- bing bing bing! He thinks they may be repros. We'll see.

Cimarrón -- I purchased a pair of Uberti springs to try out.

I am going to make my own also. There will be no buggering of the rifle. I found that the screws for these springs... In case someone else wonders at some point...is 6-48. Local hardware store has the exact screws under "gun screws". I am using flat steel stock and just need a 6-48 tap. Of course Brownells carries them but is out of stock, so I found one at a random Amazon store. Potterfield and another YouTuber have videos on making springs. Take a look.

Boolit Buddy
    DR. ,, What year is your " NEW " purchase ,, may help to locate the right model top slide .

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix .

Quote Originally Posted by Hootmix View Post
    DR. ,, What year is your " NEW " purchase ,, may help to locate the right model top slide .

2nd model 1876 made 1881. Update: original springs from eBay work. The wear is in the same spot and will have a limited life. The part of the spring that cams over the lever is the weak point and I want to save these, so I used a Uberti spring. With a little filing it works fine. The other was either tapped wrong or something. Each Uberti spring has a different size hole. Ordering another and I have no doubt it will do the job. There was enough slop in the dust cover stop to cause the stop to ride over the extractor so the dust cover would not retract. I fixed this with a .004" shim between the dust cover and the stop. Now I need to figure a way to reduce the lateral and up/down slop in the dust cover when near closed. This slop is due too wear in the rail underside. twill be tricky.

Update: I learned how to heat treat spring steel on little springs and successfully fashioned one that is identical to an original. YouTube helped me figure out how to take a ding out of the magazine tube so I can load it to full capacity. Once I sized my cast bullets correctly and used an over powder card, the gun shoots accurately. I'm shooting black powder 45-60, tallow and beeswax lube with bullets pan dipped. They were also powder coated just to bump the diameter, but I have a custom mold on the way so I won't need to do that next time.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDucati View Post
    Update: I learned how to heat treat spring steel on little springs and successfully fashioned one that is identical to an original. YouTube helped me figure out how to take a ding out of the magazine tube so I can load it to full capacity. Once I sized my cast bullets correctly and used an over powder card, the gun shoots accurately. I'm shooting black powder 45-60, tallow and beeswax lube with bullets pan dipped. They were also powder coated just to bump the diameter, but I have a custom mold on the way so I won't need to do that next time.
    Doc
    You seem like a bloke worth paying attention to - well done on the '76. - pictures are good if you feel inclined to do tat

Indian Joe, those might just be the kindest words ever handed me on a forum. Thanks. Well here is the spring next to the worn out original. I will get my butt up in a bit and post the rifle...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180705_223625.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	228644

Boolit Buddy
    Hey Dr. if you know anyone parting out a Chaparral 76 ,, the parts are the same ,, ask me how I know ,, I bought and traded around for " original Winchester " parts and built a extra set of every thing for my 40-60 Chaparral ( except the springs ) ,, just in case . Glad to hear & see your desire to make a piece of history come alive ,,again .