Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Molds from Amazon. They get an A

Molds from Amazon. They get an A

I had bought my first 2 cavity Lee mold from Amazon 3-4 weeks ago. Had burrs in back cavity. I've honed and sanded on them until almost gone but they are still there. Mold pin came out and took a real aggravating time getting it back in. Am waiting on my Noe mold to arrive but I emailed Amazon last night. Told them what I found and how I had sanded sprue plate to not be so tight. Burrs and other issues. Got an email this morning said a new one was on the way. No charge. Keep the old one for parts or throw away. Midway would have had me send to Lee which for the price I would have been better to throw away. This is twice in last 2 months Amazon has taken care of a faulty product at no cost and expedited shipping. Just thought I'd share if anyone wanted a Lee mold. I'd buy from Amazon.

Boolit Master

I have never had a problem with Amazon.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

You will like the NOE, I love mine. Most of mine now are NOE or Accurate. Tom at Accurate is great to work with. Email him with your ideas and he will help steer you in the right direction.

I'll buy from a place like Midway that isn't run by left wing fools, even if I have to pay more. Last year I ordered 5 different things on Amazon, I received 1 item out of the 4. Yeah Amazon reimbursed me after I filed the claims but it was the final straw with my dealings with them.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I have sent several Ideal mold bullets to Tom @ Accurate for clones of the originals. As long as the bullet has a metplat, the molds I've received back are better than when Ideal made them
    Regards
    John

I'm hoping NOE sends prep specs for the new mold. I know guy at Noe told me whatever I did was to never smoke the mold. Clean with dawn and heat treat 3 times if I remember right. I think I read that they cast at 600 degrees but I have to keep alloy around 700 to pour right. As far as Amazon we order a few packages a week and have yet failed to get one. Also prime items ship for free. Midway shipping is costly but I buy a lot of bullets from them and Brownells. Both priced about the same. If Amazon sold bullets I'd never go back to Midway again.

OK,,,,but I smoke all mine and never an issue,,once it is clean. I use fat pine for smoking and have never had an issue...YMMV

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    amazon has always taken care of me when ever there is a problem. usually just send me a new one no questions asked.

I just order from mp molds, I learned early on that they just flat work, every time.

Boolit Master

Everything works fine if you learn the molds personality. Some of my molds want to run hot and require a pressure fill (Notably all my Lee Molds). Some work better cooler with a gently pour (my RCBS). I really do love my NOE mold. But i am on a beer budget and cant afford champagne taste. I use what i can and get better when i have the money to treat myself. They all shoot straight when loaded right.

For deburing, i use an exacto knife and lightly run around the edges. I use a q-tip to test for burs.

I order from who ever is cheapest with the understanding that i will have to add the finishing touches. Midway has good sales often so they get a lot of my business. Once or twice i ordered casting equipment from Amazon when they were cheapest. I let the free market decide who i buy from.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    Cheap is not always the best value. NOE and Accurate molds are inexpensive when you consider what you get for the money spent.

I'm with RcMavrick, and I buy a lot from Amazon. Yet to have a problem I could not figure out with one of their molds.

Personally I like to clean/lubricate with Liquid Wrench Dry lube. It is a clear liquid that evaporates and leaves a very very thin film of dry lube.

One q-tip damp with it, work cavity's first, noting grabby burrs on edges if any. Then the vent lines, and top. Finish with the sprue plate.

By the time the mold is warm enough to cast there is no liquid, no migration. Cavity's fill, boolits jump out.

It does wear off places like the sprue plate and holes.

Boolit Bub
    Yup wish i'd have went this route. I bought a 6 cavity lee from midway and every cavity but 2 stick beyond use and even those 2 are sticky. Lee told me to send back to them but would provide postage paid and I dont like having to pay shipping and all that to return junk products. Perhaps I should have purchased from amazon. As it stands now, im moving on from the aforementioned company. Lesson learned.

Just an FYI, just recieved my new .429 200 gr rnfp 6 cavity mold yesterday. Gave it the treatment and a set of handles off a .356 124 I don't use.

This morning I turned on the pot, warmed up the mold. 2nd pour all were filled and looking good. I proceeded to cast 55 keepers in 10 pours. Sorted, lubed with 2 coats of BLL, left them sitting in front of a fan to dry. They'll get loaded soon.

No issues, no problems, no need to tap the mold. Open it up half close it and snap it open once and all bullets are out.

Couple of wrinkles in the first pour or 2, but they will shoot fine. Rest are shiny and pretty.

In Remembrance
    Amazon is a great outfit...... After setting up a sellers small shop with them and making it where there credit card can be used. They canceled our store because we sold gas checks! That is against their policy they said. They have thousands of gun related sellers! So we canceled there credit card! That department never heard of such! You should talk to each other! There loss , I will not buy from them!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldbrowngun View Post
    Yup wish i'd have went this route. I bought a 6 cavity lee from midway and every cavity but 2 stick beyond use and even those 2 are sticky. Lee told me to send back to them but would provide postage paid and I dont like having to pay shipping and all that to return junk products. Perhaps I should have purchased from amazon. As it stands now, im moving on from the aforementioned company. Lesson learned.
    A little bit of lapping even with a fine compound will fix the sticky cavities.

Banned
    If you can't get rid of the burs with a carpenter pencil of wood dowel--
    don't fight with it, go to your orders on Amazon, print out the mailing label they supply and send it back for a replacement.
    I have bought a lot of molds from Amazon with only 1 problem and that was a manufacturing issue. Amazon replaced it

They told me to keep the old one for parts. They sent new one today. I also got the Noe mold today. Looks like a Cadillac next to a Pinto. I did luck out with this Lee with no burrs. Cavities looked good. Noe looks a lot better. Will try it this weekend I hope.

Boolit Grand Master
    Never had any problems with amazon.
    I would order way more from them if they were more Firearm owner supporters.
    They used to be, and I used to buy way, way more.

Amazon Prime with "free" shipping may at times cost more than the same item with shipping from a non-prime vendor. Or works out to nearly the same price. Lee makes a decently functional affordable mold. A few of their designs are really very suitable for certain calibers or firearms. NOE makes better molds but still at a good value. I buy NOE whenever I need a non-standard mold. Heavy .223 or fat .303 or short .32 for ACP. Some of the used tried and true molds from Lyman certainly don't disappoint.

Amazon return is pretty good. Prices tend to be pretty good but I will always compare to Titan (site sponsor) or gun show vendors I see at most local shows and may well pay a touch more for the personal touch and to deal with folks that know reloading. I had a Lee product ordered through Titan that had O rings come out and get twisted in a trim die. Titan provided Lee with date of purchase and confirmed that I had ordered that part. Lee said we don't make that style any more with the O ring so a new one is on the way free of charge and no shipping cost. One does have to be careful, if Lee is sending you a warranty part with free shipping and you order any other part it puts shipping back on the order.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast