Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: 327 federal magnum

327 federal magnum

I was talking with a friend and they had said they wanted a 327federal mag because it could run multiple cartridges, like a 357 can run a 38 special or 357 mag. If this is true what are the range of cartridges it can shoot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

327 federal magnum

32 H&R Mag, 32 S&W Long & Short. You can add 32 ACP the most but it’s not really recommended.

I'm really liking the .32sw long. Looking for a less than 400$ handgun with 5-6" barrel and sights. Either .32 H&R Mag or .327 mag would fit the bill. But finding guns chambered in either with the rest of my requirements has eluded me thus far. Still I keep looking.

I suspect I would mostly shoot .32sw long in it, although I do have a couple of boxes of short factory loads.

I really like the low recoil, muzzle blast and have been fairly pleased with accuracy even from my short 2.5" barrels.

My buddy claimed somewhere around 8 different cartridges from the 327 fed mag I think it’d be a neat one in a lever gun. Low recoil for the wifey at least

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    There are some many more ammo, bullet, mold, load data options for .38 Special and .357 Magnum that I have a hard time justifying a .327. .32 S&W Long is easy to find but all the other rounds are limited to a few online vendors or paying an arm and leg for a box at retail.

Boolit Grand Master

I assume it matters where you are, but there will be some kind of 32 caliber ammo you can use. By me, 327 federal is almost non-existant, but I can find 32 H&R at pretty much any shop, along with 32 ACP (and it's cheap too). The only time I tried 32 ACP in mine, it was a Ruger LCR, and it ejected just fine. My guess is 32 ACP works fine in almost all revolvers, but would not work well in the lever.

You can argue price, but every single magnum handgun cartridge ammo is expensive. 357 is probably the cheapest magnum, but it's still not something you can shoot a lot of without reloading, or buying some target ammo/38 special.

The ONLY thing holding the 327 federal back for me is a good selection of bullets. The super light 85 grain XTPs are not a very good choice unless you want low power, low recoil defense ammo. Your only real choices are some 100 grain j-words, some commercial plated or cast, which I've never seen one I liked, or cast your own. The 115 grain gold dot was a great bullet, but they quit making it. The 100 grain XTP is so-so. You get impressively high velocities with those light bullets, which serves no purpose but to sell, and it's not working. The XTP is good for the LCR and other snubbies, but driven to 1500+FPS, all I find is fragments in the backstop. I was getting just under 1200 FPS from my LCR. You can imagine they wouldn't be good in the rifles, at over 2000 FPS. Long story short, 115-120 grains is what standard bullets should be, heavier for serious work, and lighter just for fun.

One vastly underrated advantage of cast and the 32 revolvers, You can use the sized down cast bullets in 30 caliber rifles. I've had a lot of fun with my 120 grain cast bullets sized .311" in 30-30.

I reload for my 327 BH. I shoot all 5 of the 32's that was stated . I shoot cast it it and also had a handi rifle made also to shoot all the 32's also. Like was stated also for cast you can size them down to shoot as a 30 cal. that is what I do also for my 308, 30-06, 30-30 . I have them shoot like a 22lr. It all works for me.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

.32 ACP will work with dismal accuracy. And .32 S&W short and long, .32 H&R, and .327 Federal. .32 long & short Colt will fire but will swell or split so do not use those(not likely to be laying around anyway). That makes 5.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    The Single Seven with 32H&R is just fun to shoot. Quickly becoming my favorite handgun.

Boolit Master
    Wish Ruger or S&W would make an 8 shot .327.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    I got to check out a 7 shot GP100 357 mag, I've been told some brands cases don't even fit in it. I don't see why they couldn't make an 8 shot GP100 327 Federal. The cylinder can't be that much different from the blackhawk, which came as an 8 shot.

Boolit Master
    I have an addiction for 30 caliber pistols, 30 carbine, 7.62x25 tokarev, 327 Mag, 32 H&R...the best one there is a wildcat that Gary Reeder does on the Ruger Bkackhawk 30 Carbine.

It's call the 300 GNR. It's a cut down 30-30. Essentially it's a slightly shortly 30 Herrett that mimics its performance. It's super easy to make, brass is cheap and easy to find and performance is incredible. It's like having a 7.62x39 in a revolver.
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    When Ruger came out with the BH it is a 8 shot for 327. I know I got one.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    When Ruger came out with the BH it is a 8 shot for 327. I know I got one.
    How does it shoot?

Boolit Grand Master
    Re the Ruger BH 327.
    The one I had was pretty accurate, but I did not care for the weight. I had in mind something more packable, that would put less strain on my belt during my woods rambling. My similar 44 special FT Ruger was actually lighter (and seemed to balance much better) and more potent, so I traded the BH 327 to my brother for a Colt Detective special and some cash. I much prefer The Single seven.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.