MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Suggest A Boolit (Mold) For 32-20, 30-30, 303 Savage and 30-40

Question Suggest A Boolit (Mold) For 32-20, 30-30, 303 Savage and 30-40

Can one boolit bridge all four of these great oldsters?

I'd like a heavy for the .32-20 that'd be a good small game and plinker boolit for the others.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Lyman 311008 made for the 32-20. 115gr.
    Very light weight for all other caliber on your list.

https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands...l?weights=1521

Boolit Master

As with most "one size fits all" applications, the answer is yes. The problem is that each caliber and each application will usually be server better by a more well suited bullet.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

Accurate 150T and 150TG. Get it to cast .312 or .313 for 32-20 and resize to .311 for the other calibers you mentioned.

Sized in .313 it is also a very good bullet for the 7.62x39.

Here is a link. the 150T is plain based, the 150TG is the same bullet for a gas check.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=31-150T-D.png

jaysouth,
    Nice find! A mold cut with both gc and pb versions could go a long way in all of them.

MOA,
    The classic 32-20 boolit. I've got my eye on its Ideal version, 3118, on Evilbay.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Master
    My 32/20's won't consistently stabilize a 150 grain boolit. But all my 30 cals like a 117 grain Ranch Dog 32/20 boolit that I size to .313 for 32/20 or 327 Federal, and on down to .310 or .311 for 30/30, 303 Savage and 300 Savage. It is my main boolit for plinking with any of my 30 cals. So yes, you can use one boolit for all those, but the 32/20 will be the limiter for weight. For it I would stay around 130 grains or below.

Check the Lee soup can.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    Heavy bullet for 32/20 Lyman 311410 130 gr. works well.
    Accurate mold #31-150 and NOE Ranchdog tumble lube design, order the mold with
    a flatbase in one cavity and Gascheck in other cavity both are nice bullets. Drop from
    mold at .313 dia. Size to your liking.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    You must remember that the .32-20 is generally a 1:20" twist, which will stabilize bullets to about 130 grains maximum in loads suitable for the Winchester 92. The .30-30 Winchester is generally a 1:12" twist which does nicely with short, blunt bullets up to about 190 grains in full charge loads, and to about 170 grains at subsonic velocities with cast loads.

IF you have a .32-20 rifle with faster1:14" twist barrel, it will stabilize 160-grain bullets of blunt profile, subsonic.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    You must remember that the .32-20 is generally a 1:20" twist, which will stabilize bullets to about 130 grains maximum in loads suitable for the Winchester 92. The .30-30 Winchester is generally a 1:12" twist which does nicely with short, blunt bullets up to about 190 grains in full charge loads, and to about 170 grains at subsonic velocities with cast loads.

IF you have a .32-20 rifle with faster1:14" twist barrel, it will stabilize 160-grain bullets of blunt profile, subsonic.
    Thanks, and the classic heavier weight range of 115 to 130 for the .32-20 will be very good for what I want from this mold for the bigger rounds. They'll need an appropriate standard weight mold for full power work, but a little one that fits all promises much utility and fun.

~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Master

I have two I like. 115swc that i buy because it was so cheap. I bought twenty years ago and still have quite a supply.

Second is for a custom barrel a friend built for me using a SMLE take off bbl. its a lyman lold 150 g RN that drops 314.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    I have two I like. 115swc that i buy because it was so cheap. I bought twenty years ago and still have quite a supply.

Second is for a custom barrel a friend built for me using a SMLE take off bbl. its a lyman lold 150 g RN that drops 314.

CW
    The knowledgeable consensus above is that, I too, would need a custom barrel for the 32-20 to stabilize above 130s.

Yeah, I got a similar deal from a LGS that was moving. I may have to put .359 158 SWCs in my will, but oh was the price right.

~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Accurate has several bullets in the 120-130-grain range which should work in your application.

I use the 31-120TG in the .32-20, .30 M1 carbine and .30-30.

Attachment 222230

I use Attachment 222231 31-134D in .303 British, but you could order with reduced diameter...
    Last edited by Outpost75; 06-16-2018 at 11:15 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Check the Lee soup can.
    That's my pick. C309113F.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    That's my pick. C309113F.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Thanks, with the second vote and the decoding (I didn't know which was the soupcan, newby.); I'm clicking that Lee link above.

~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

10" TC Contender 32/20, I used RCBS 130 SP to RCBS 210 SIL. My favorite handgun silhouette caliber for Field Pistol, Production and Standing classes.

Boolit Master

LEE doesn't list the "soupcan" anymore.

Or you could go lighter: ACCURATE, 31-125, F OR FG
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

I just got an Ideal 308241 as part of a purchase. These are reported to cast fat and come in a 125gr and a 150+ versions. The seller didn't know which it was. If it's the lighter, I'm set. If the heavier, I'll still be needful of your good suggestions above for the .32-20.

~ Don B. Kates, Jr.