Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Propane burner for melting lead in Dutch oven

Boolit Mold

Propane burner for melting lead in Dutch oven

I am about to purchase a propane burner to melt lead in a Dutch oven. My question is this: Should I look for a burner that is the jet type or the pan type that has many holes for the flame? Not sure it would make a difference in melting, but thought I should ask. Thank you for the feedback!

Boolit Bub
    I would think in the end it wouldnt really matter. I can tell you that I personally ordered this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and have been happy with it so far. It will melt some lead in a hurry, and it's low to the ground to minimize tipping.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Get the highest BTU output you can find. High BTU = short melt time.

I prefer the jet type of burners. I have a old plumber’s furnace and it sounds like a jet after burner when on high at 1st. I then turn it way down while pouring and it purrs like a kitten.

Also watch that you get a VERY sturdy frame! A pot of turkey or fish in water weigh a WHOLE lot less than a pot of Pb! Those really cheap ChiCom burners will buckle under the very high weight and heat and could result in personal injury and a tapestry of profanity filling the surrounding air.

Good luck.......choose wisely!!!!!!!!

Bangerjim

I went with the 4 leg version rather than a 3 leg version. Something like this. https://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic...dp/B0009JXYQ4/ I thought if it seemed wobbly I would more easily be able to bolt some angle iron or flat stuck between the legs near the bottom to beef them up.

I don't have the jet burner, I have the cheaper cup with a serrated edge insert that the gas comes out as flame. Fewer flames but bigger flames. BTU's are BTU's for the most part. A 75,000 BTU puts out less heat than a 100,000 BTU burner, and 120,000 is even more. Jet burners will typically be higher BTU output, however my burner can do a smaller pot with less issues since the flame area is smaller.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-06-03 10.08.46.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	221956

I will say that the burner with the larger jets seems to have an uneven distribution of flame from one or two jets. The jets at 5 O'clock is bigger than the rest.

Name:	DSC_0716-1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	221955

No problem getting the heat I need to melt plain lead sheeting - and this was a $40 fish fryer from Walmart. If you look close you can see the flames are wrapping up the sides of the Dutch oven unevenly.
    BTW- that is the glue and sawdust flux burning on the pot.

Name:	2015-05-19 21.44.05.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	221957
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    I got this unit off amazon five years ago, had deal where I got the dutch oven, and a alum strainer and lid as it was a bayou cooker, it has the pan type burner and I use it for big pots and small for when I am hand casting with a ladle instead of the master caster.

Boolit Mold
    Great feedback. I am quite aware that many of the burner bodies available are flimsy and dangerous. Metal legs that are thin and flexible, so that has been a major part of my section that I did not mention in my question. It appears that either flame type will get the job done. Thanks for the responses!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jlag19 View Post
    Great feedback. I am quite aware that many of the burner bodies available are flimsy and dangerous. Metal legs that are thin and flexible, so that has been a major part of my section that I did not mention in my question. It appears that either flame type will get the job done. Thanks for the responses!
    Do what I do ....Just use the one on your crawfish boiling pot or your turkey frying pot , being from Covington Louisiana I know you got one or the other.....
    Both of my rigs are Bayou Classic .

My turkey fryer has the Banjo Burner and my crawfish boiler has a jet burner , both will melt a big Dutch Oven full of WW's and scrap in just a few minutes. The Jet burner is only needed for big smelting pots . Type is not critical unless you have a big smelting pot.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Banned

I use this 210,000 BTU burner. Best deal out there for $60
    Strong heavy build and a whole lot of heat. Low profile and very stable.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/bac...554BPHP17.html

Name:	802343.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	221989