Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My New Single Seven

Banned

Just google P90 reliability. I did, and I could not find anyone saying anything but the P90 is as reliable as a pistol can be and that they eat anything. If I were in your shoes I would feel just like you do.

Boolit Grand Master
    I buy firearms with the idea that many of them will need refinement, finishing, or even a bit of alteration to give the best service. Mid-century Colt and S&W products spoiled us rotten, I suppose.

As for the Ruger P-series pistols, I have a sorta unique P-89, the P-89X. This is the standard double-stack mag WunderNine of the late 1980s as interpreted by Sturm Ruger. Along with the 9mm barrel and recoil spring came a swap-barrel in 30 Luger, and a lighter recoil spring held captive on its guide rod. The pistol is unfailingly accurate and utterly reliable in both calibers, and the fixed sights print with both calibers to the same point of impact, which is point of aim at 25 yards. I have done some intrepid work involving AA-7 powder in generous weights with cast and jacketed .312" bullets using the 9mm's stronger recoil spring. Lyman #313249 launched at 1500 FPS will sort a jackrabbit right out, even at some distance. Yes, they are louder than H--l's Drumline, but quite accurate--under 2" at 25 yards. Lyman #311419 (92 grain gas-checked flatnose) shoots just as well, and makes a loud THWOCK when it finds fur. This latter bullet is a much better hunting tool. These uber-fast loads hit about an inch lower than standard velocity loads (85-95 grainers at 1100-1200 FPS).
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    As I've stated, my S7 has had a few little faults, at least they are "little" to me. It has somewhere in the neighborhood of 1500-1600 rounds of stout hand loads with my cast bullets thru it and several boxes (10) of AE factory ammo. It is a good shooter and I'll keep it. The SP-101 (2) that shoot the same ammo have been flawless with the same ammo. They are good guns and worth some finagling to keep them going.

Boolit Master
    I hope you get to load up and shoot some things week!

I'm not sure what die set you are using (I'm using Hornady) to load, but most of mine have about the same measurements. I've never pulled one of the seated bullets measure, but kick those fairly soft bullets at magnum pressures and expect them to obdurate to the throat size before hitting the forcing cone. It must be working for me, because I get very good accuracy and no leading in the bore. I can see where you may want to get an oversized expander if you plan to shoot low pressure loads. I use the NOE for my 375 H&H cast loading and it works great.

Boolit Master

I bought Redding dies plus a profile crimp die. The three die set has a steel size die. I have found that the steel size die works best on a couple of my customs, .45 Colt and .475 L. Helps to extend brass life.

I'm ordering a couple of expanders from NOE and maybe a mold. What molds do you use?
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    The commercial cast I sent you to try out. Perhaps one day when (if) I get to retire I'll move back into casting.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    The commercial cast I sent you to try out. Perhaps one day when (if) I get to retire I'll move back into casting.
    OK! I've been retired for 12 years and still don't have time to do everything that I want.
    John
    W.TN

There is an active group buy for a bullet specifically designed for the single seven. It looks like it is perfect for a heavy for caliber bullet .327

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123