Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: 40-50 Update

Boolit Master

40-50 Update

To say that this 40-50 has been an experience is an understatement. I have run into problems that I never even thought about when I ordered this rifle. Anyway after the last round of education I got some real promising results at 300yd. I took the best combination and loaded it for the match yesterday that was a tune up for our local mid-range championship match next month.

I was really happy with the results at 300yd and 600yd. The scores could have absolutely been better but after the preceding pitfalls this was very encouraging as opposed to frustrating. One of the top US LRML shooters was sitting behind me on the line and offered some observations that he saw that might help. He said that when I had a bad shot he noticed that the muzzle of my gun jumped off of the sticks noticeably but when it was a good shot they stayed right there. I haven't been really trying to get the exact same spot on the sticks since on my other guns it never really made much difference. The difference might be the barrel since I got the lightest barrel available from Shiloh. I wanted this rifle for hunting, Silhouette, and mid-range and my other guns have heavier barrels since they were target only.

We tapped on the barrel to locate the null point and it seems to be about 8 inches back from the muzzle which in all of the barrels that I have done this with, regardless of length that seems to be the distance. Anyway that is the next experiment to try. Upgrading a few of those lower numbers will go a long way toward making some outstanding scores, for me anyway. I do this for fun and good scores are a lot more fun than beating my head against a wall.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Buddy
    Are you shooting THE sTRAIGHT OR bOTTLENECK VERSION?

Boolit Grand Master

When I started out with these bpcr rifles and shooting of sticks I marked the dead point with a wrap of pinstripe tape ( red and 1/4" wide). This gave me a refrence point on alighnment on the sticks and fliers got a lot less. Another was finding the right compression the powder wanted for the best ignition and cleanest burn. My best 45-90 load has 12 fps extreme spread and really perfoms well at 500 yds for me ( when I can handle the redoil of those 550 grn bullets for the whole string)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
    Are you shooting THE sTRAIGHT OR bOTTLENECK VERSION?
    Sharps Straight.

CG, I shot a LR Match at Camp Atterbury Thur and Fri with my 45-70 Pedersoli Sharps and I thought I had a 22 Yesterday in the 40-50 the first couple rounds. I'm not particularly sensitive to recoil but the 40-50 was quite pleasant after 76gr of OE 2F behind a Leeth-Gordon 540gr slug, not to mention the targets looked sooooo much closer.

Bob

Boolit Grand Master

Many things go into perceived recoil. Stock design and width, rifle weight, barrel length, balance, and blast as you also know. One thing I like with the black powder loads is the low dull boom no " sharp crack" to it and to me it seems more a push than hit. One of the big things ignored or neglected by a lot of shooters is mind set. A little wind or poor conditions and they beat themselves.

I shoot several calibers rifle in BPCR Shilouettes. a Hepburn in 45-90 12 lbs and a couple ounces( a lot of recoil and large amounts of powder and lead) this rifle is accurate and good shooter likes heavier bullets and if you can stay ahead of the recoil. 3 different 45-70s a pedersoli long range sharps at just over 13 lbs close to 14. recoil the easiest in this rifle due to weight. A rolling block 12 lbs, Just picked this one up but it has a pistol gripped stock and kick tamer recoil pad. Last is a BRC Brochardt at 12 lbs and a couple ounces. this rifle is very accurate and shoots very well. In the 45-70s bullets range from 535-550 grns. A CPA 40-65 at 12 lbs this has a very nice design to the stock and is a easy shooter. Last is a High wall 12 lbs in 38-55 with a fast twist barrel. 365 grn bullets do well out to 500 yds for me, Havent tried them any farther yet. The 38-55 is the softest shooting and easiest to shoot in the batch. due to stck width length of pull and balance. It just hangs ther and sweetly bumps your shoulder when you squeeze the trigger.

Boolit Master
    I enjoy reading your post about the 40-50. I have a lot of interest in this caliber. Keep us posted on your progress

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post
    I enjoy reading your post about the 40-50. I have a lot of interest in this caliber. Keep us posted on your progress
    It has been an education for sure. There are a lot of pitfalls so if you decide you want to go this route get a hold of me and I can fill you in on the ones I've encountered.
    I THINK I'm on the right road now. Our club mid-range championship match is coming up next month and I plan on shooting it so time will tell. I've taken the 1st place trophy in Cartridge for the last 5 years so there is a pretty big target on my back. The match is named for my best friend who passed back in 14. He won it several times with both Cartridge and ML. I have been accused of having paranormal help. Personally I think even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally.

Bob