Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Wideners
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Marvel Mystery Oil

Marvel Mystery Oil

Any one else use Marvel Mystery Oil? I used to roll my eyes at the folks that would tell me about their favorite fuel additives. Wifes daddy told me about MMO and I value his opinion on mechanic stuff so I started with it.

I run it in my fuel, and It gives me better fuel economy and better running. I have run it in my oil, but I havent run it long enough in my oil to notice a difference. For that, I prefer Lucas, but Im running the MMO in my generators oil.

When I first started using MMO in my cars fuel, I noticed it idled a little better, and started having better pickup. It gave me about 2 more MPG though when I checked it. I started running it in my generator, and a tank of fuel lasts almost twice as long, and it runs better.

I started running MMO in my lawn mowers fuel and it runs better and the fuel lasts longer by a long shot.

Anyone else like it?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    OK, but over rated. Does help older, high mileage vehicles. Great if you have an old IH cornbinder or pre fuel-injected F100, but I see no benefit in modern computerized, fuel injected engines.

On the genny, what was the load demand on both tests?

Double the run time is fantasy. With my 22kw Generac at 50% duty cycle about 1.5-1.6 gph in LPG is normal
    Last edited by Outpost75; 06-10-2018 at 11:05 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned

Lucas for the oil and Sea Foam and PRI for small engine fuel.

What is PRI? I tried seafoam once, but wasnt impressed. Tried it in the fuel.

My old Tecumseh powered lawn mower is 34 years old. Dad started me using MMO when I was in the 5 th grade. He also said most politicians are crooked. The guy was never wrong... lol
    Bring the smoke!

Boolit Master
    I will occasionally add a quart to the crankcase in the wife's truck a couple of days before an oil change. Think I'll have to try it in the fuel on one of the cars that we just resurrected from sitting for 6 years.
    I remember Dad always had one or two quarts on the shelf.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master

MM in the fuel helps valve guides and seats in older vehicles designed for leaded fuel. Seafoam has saved a lot of chain saw, weed whackers and mower carburetors for me.

Banned

PRI is a fuel stablizer. The best in my opinion.

Boolit Master
    I use MM with my lapping compound while lapping a barrel. The oil thins out the lapping compound and makes pushing the lapping rod easier.
    Lap a lot of 22 RF barrels to make them shoot better at the target, a lot smaller groups with the small tapper in the barrel.

Cool info bstone5

Minty smell while lapping a barrel ever distract ya?

Boolit Master

I mix MMO in the fuel for my mowers (note use of plural). I also premix Lucas fuel treatment in the same fuel.
    Does it help ? Dunno, but it makes me feel better.

I also occasionally put 6 ounces or so in the gas powered cars around here.
    Does it help? Dunno, but it makes me feel better.

I pretty much stay away from all the "snake oils" after ruining a Ford Ranger with some teflon additive.
    After a while the teflon coating broke down and clogged the oil screen.
    Something like MMO should be relatively harmless though.

Boolit Master
    A host of additives could make some appliances do their job for longer on a given quantity of fuel - if they reduce the tendency of the fuel to atomise in the carburettor. That is just the same effect of other methods of making the mixture leaner or reducing its quantity.It may be harmless and economical if the machine didn't need to be running at less than its full capacity. Watch it doesn't overheat through the leaner mixture, though.

If it achieved anywhere near as much as 50% improved economy in working the way they claim, improved seal on the top ring, discontinuing its use would be very noticeable indeed, and it isn't. If it did some good that was economically worthwhile, it would be an additive by the major companies. What would stop them? A 1920s patent?
    Last edited by Ballistics in Scotland; 06-11-2018 at 08:44 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Teflon stuff got a rep. for doing that, or clogging an oil passage. Bye-bye engine.

I use Wal-Mart's version of Lucas fuel treatment in my tractors and pickup diesel fuel. I can tell quite a difference when I use it. As said, about 2mpg better fuel economy. If I add anything to the oil, its GM's Engine oil supplement

Boolit Master

A lot of the WWII mechanics swear by it in aircraft fuel. The guy I use to fly for used it in all of his airplanes and he was an A&P as well and did all of his own maintenance. Our engines typically ran 600 to 700 hours past recommended overhaul. When he worked the numbers, that much extra run time meant that the engine could be completely scrapped and he was money ahead. That never happened to my knowledge. Occasionally a crank or cam might have to be replaced but if anything was still good that was icing on the cake.
    One particular engine I remember had 800hrs past TBO and was running strong but he replaced it anyway so that he wouldn't have to do it during the busy season.
    The engine on this airplane has been overhauled twice since we had it, not sure how many times before that but is going strong and it has had a steady diet MMO in the fuel. I have never notice any increased fuel mileage but it is nice to know that it will keep going and going and going. One thing for sure it sure won't hurt anything.
    I ran the Teflon in my Ford Ranger for more than 200,000+ miles and never had a problem, but when I used it at oil changes there was a noticeable increase in the fuel mileage. I did hear about the problems after the fact but never had them. In fact that truck was probably the best vehicle I ever owned. Other than normal wear items I replaced 1 sensor under warranty and 1 at 190,000 miles and that was it as far as maintenance. I wish I could say the same for my 7.3 Super Duty that had 190,000+ on it when I got rid of it. I paid for that truck twice with the total maintenance. Maybe I should have used the MMO in it.

Bob

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Buddy
    I use a 50%/50% mixture of MMO and Automatic Transmission Fluid as a lub for my firearms.

Boolit Buddy
    I generally run a bottle of MMO or Seafoam in all my cars gas about every 5th-6th fill-up. There was a noticeable positive difference in the wife's original Subaru. Plus I add some to the mower occasionally during the summer.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Boolit Master
    How much added per gallon of gas? Different ratio for small (lawnmower etc.) over large (truck/car) engines?
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master

MMO helps clean and lubricate fuel injectors, but it does lower octane a bit. PAO based fuel cleaners do a better job on fuel injectors.

Teflon kills Lambda (O2) sensors over time. As a result most Teflon engine lube products contain very little Teflon.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Been running it since 1988. 72 toyo fj40 landcruiser, 99 Cadillac, 94 ford f350, 99 ford crown vic, 99 merc grand marquee. Great for the upper head on the engine.
    Last edited by MOA; 06-11-2018 at 05:16 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast