RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Wideners Load Data

Thread: 1873 possibly in the works

1873 possibly in the works

got a possible fix on one of a couple Winchesters of Miroku vintage. a 44-40 and a 45 Colt.

will lean towards the 44 WCF but first would like to know what the groove/bore diameters are. also would like to hear about the chamber {tight, lose or rite down the middle}?

having a '92' from Winchester in 45 Colt,also a Miroku, the chamber in it is crazy large. do any know if the 73 chambers are generous as well?

thanks for the tips and heads up.

Boolit Master
    I just bought a Winchester Miruko last week brand new. I ran a .454” round ball through my .428” sizer die, then slugged the bore and mic’d it at .428”. I’ve switched out the .428” sizer for the .430” and it shot real well today. I’m using scrap lead. Casting with mould #RCBS 44-20-CM.

This Winchester Miruko cycles cartridges far better than my 15 year old Italian ‘73 straight wall cartridge carbine.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a recently made 92 in 44-40.

Cerrosafe casts of the chamber and last 3 inches of the barrel mike out at .431.

Given that the .92 is also chambered in .44 Magnum i can only speculate that Miroku/Winchester are using .44 Mag barrels in the .44-40 Model 92's to either save costs or allow the use of factory .44 Mag projectiles (possibly both reasons).

I don't know what they be using in the 73's but it would be wise to slug or do a cerrosafe cast of the bore.

Boolit Master
    Now I have run a .457” round ball through my .432” H&I die and used that to slug the bore of my new Winchester Miroku .44-40. The bore slug mic’s at .430” which I am satisfied with.

My loaded cartridges chamber perfectly.

Just picked up an original Winchester 1873 (made in 1882) in .44 WCF. The bore slugs at .429 and will be sizing to .431 with a Lee 200 RF that drops at .432 with COWWS and weighs 210 gr after PB checking and sizing/lubing. I am going to be running a ladder of 3 rounds each from 12.7 gr to 13.1 gr of Blue Dot and a tuft of dacron filler. I am also using CCI 300 Large Rifle Primers and it's OAL is 1.550". Hopefully going to be shooting it this Saturday. I also have another original 1873 (made in 1880) in .44 WCF that slugs at .428 and I do have a .429 sizing/lubing die that I could use, but will see how the loads work in the other rifle first before moving on to this one.